Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
biting her own tail

daisy
Novice

Jun 11, 2002, 3:03 AM

Post #1 of 11 (2968 views)
Shortcut
biting her own tail Can't Post

My pup is biting her own tail, sometimes it's bad till it bleeds, i did apply cream on it, someone was telling me that the tail is growing therefore it's itchy, may i know how true this is?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 15, 2002, 4:03 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daisy] biting her own tail [In reply to] Can't Post

Till it bleeds? THis is serious... I'm guessing that her tail is itching, but it probably has nothing to do with growing! To my knowledge, the only thing that is itchy while it's growing is the mouth... That's because the teeth actually PUSH out of the gums, so it can be painful!

Maybe she has a rash on her tail? Or perhaps it's fleas/ticks? I think the more experienced doggie ppl will have more help! Smile

-= Tisha =-

daisy
Novice

Jun 15, 2002, 4:51 PM

Post #3 of 11 (2951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] biting her own tail [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm. i notice there's a patch of hairless part on her tail, i did aplly those cream provided byt the vet, but she likes to lick them away.... she's so naughtyLaugh

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 15, 2002, 7:34 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2948 views)
Shortcut

Dogs...They do seem to enjoy licking off medicine, don't they? Crazy Since you've already seen a vet and got medication, your only problem should be trying to keep her from licking it off.

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 15, 2002, 9:14 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Make a Elizabethan collar with card board, that is if you know what I am saying.
I think you know what is looks like Tish, so your job and contribution is to tell Daisy how to do it and where to place it. Right?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 15, 2002, 10:16 PM

Post #6 of 11 (2942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] biting her own tail [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes sir! An Elizabethan collar is a collar which is fitted around your dog's neck so that he won't be able to lick medication off his body, or scratch his face etc. Hard to describe wat it looks like though. If you really don't know what it is or what it looks like, I'll go search for a picture.

Fortunately, I've never had to use one before, so I don't know how to make one. I think you can buy it from petshops and your vet. Uncle Derrick, your expertise is needed!

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 15, 2002, 10:31 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2941 views)
Shortcut

It looks like one of those old fashion lamp shade my dear.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 16, 2002, 4:25 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] biting her own tail [In reply to] Can't Post

Aha! Why didn't I think of it in the first place? lol

-= Tisha =-

daisy
Novice

Jun 16, 2002, 6:27 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2930 views)
Shortcut

ok, i know how it looks like, i think i've seen it on tv b4, anyway, is it possible to use a cardboard to make it? Or mabbesome other material would be more advisable?Tongue

Yuki79
Dog Kichi

Aug 31, 2002, 9:15 AM

Post #10 of 11 (2905 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My pup is biting her own tail, sometimes it's bad till it bleeds, i did apply cream on it, someone was telling me that the tail is growing therefore it's itchy, may i know how true this is?

hi daisy,

my pup also bitting his tail. his tail docked already. but not same as ur pup bite till bleeding.

so now do u get wat is the reason they bite their tail?

regards,

Yuki

daisy
Novice

Aug 31, 2002, 4:49 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yuki79] biting her own tail [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, my pup doesnt bit her tail anymore now, some people said it's bcoz it was growing and it was itchy, but i'm not sure how true it was , funny thing is her tail has stopped growing as well and she doesnt bite it anymore...i did try to put cream on the wound but she would like it all off last time

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my