Weaning Age.

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 7, 2002, 1:37 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Weaning Age. Can't Post

Weaning Age
Many people feel that a puppy can be weaned and go to a new home as soon as he begins to eat solid food. While the puppy will likely survive being taken away from Mom and his littermates, he will be deprived of some very valuable lessons in manners. This can make things much more difficult for you and the puppy. From 5 to 8 weeks of age, Mom will teach the puppy what he should or shouldn't do, among other things. He'll also learn how to get along within the litter and that he can't always have what he wants. Personality traits will become more evident, increasing your chances of selecting the right dog for you. If you are purchasing a dog from a breeder, it's fine to make arrangements in advance but it's in your best interest, as well the puppy's, to leave him with his mom until he's 8 weeks old.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 8, 2002, 7:51 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Weaning Age. [In reply to] Can't Post

8 weeks... That would be 2months (I'm applying Maths! lol. I'm supposed to be studying for exams right now, but since I'm "revising" my math right now, it's OK to be online Blush) I've always thought that it was best to bring home your pup at 3months of age. When I first saw Jewel, she was 8 weeks. We collected her from the breeder a month later.

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 8, 2002, 7:02 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Weaning Age. [In reply to] Can't Post

You are just one of those exceptionally lucky few to have Jewel brought home at 3.
There is a reason and motive for puppies to part company and go their separate ways.
Remind me after your exams and I shall give you the reasons.
2+2 = 2
1+2 oso = 2.Crazy

delithra

Jun 8, 2002, 10:46 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Weaning Age. [In reply to] Can't Post

Im currently looking for a pup, and there are breeders selling them at 5 weeks - 7weeks ! It is VERY hard to find one which is at least 9 weeks old ( and when I did, the pups were in Ipoh!)...sigh...lucky for me I have uncle derrick for advise Wink

I was at a friends place yesterday and she has a 2 yr old labrador, which was given to them at 3 WEEKS!! NO kidding!! The owner of the pups were getting rid of them at that time.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 9, 2002, 3:43 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Weaning Age. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the good/responsible breeders who bred the pups for the right reasons (not solely for profit) will release them later? Some breeders wanna get rid of the pups ASAP so that the sale is more profitable Unimpressed...

Uncle Derrick, I'll try to remember to bring this up after my exams! Wink

-= Tisha =-

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my