IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
heatstroke

delithra

Jun 6, 2002, 3:31 AM

Post #1 of 3 (845 views)
Shortcut
heatstroke Can't Post

Uncle Derrick, you mentioned that you had a dog die from heatstroke. THis is a problem that worries me, because the front portion of my house faces the afternoon sun (direct sunlight hits from about 3.45-5pm). In the event i placed a kennel there, with those high quality double layered 'water resistent' material covering half the porch,....would there be a chance of a dog suffering from 'heatstroke'? In what circumstances does this happen?

Thanks again Smile

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 6, 2002, 5:59 AM

Post #2 of 3 (839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [delithra] heatstroke [In reply to] Can't Post

"In the event i placed a kennel there, with those high quality double layered 'water resistent' material covering half the porch,....would there be a chance of a dog suffering from 'heatstroke'?" UNLIKELY. There are mainly three reasons/causes leading to heatstrokes.
(1) A dog owner leaves the animal inside the car and did not wind the windows wide enough for air ventilation and also have lost track of time. As a result, he/she came back 2 hours later instead of the 20 minutes. Under such circumstances, chances are the dog will either be under great distress or being suffocated to death.
(2) Breeds that are imported into Malaysia from countries that have winter are Collie(rough), GSD, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, Akita, Chow Chow, Siberian Husky, St.Bernard. They are prone to heat stroke unless the owner takes precautionary measures to climatise the animal.
(3) It is possible but highly improbable. Have you noticed some owners after bathing their dogs, chaining them at the fence or gate post to dry? If by chance the owner has to leave the house, because of an emergency, poor dog will have no shade and no escape route. You could imagine the consequences.
Wait till you got your goldie, and then we talk.
I don't believe there is a problem that cannot be solved.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 8, 2002, 7:59 AM

Post #3 of 3 (822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [delithra] heatstroke [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with Uncle Derrick... You say that the direct sunlight hits from about 3.45-5pm. The afternoon sun (in my experience) is not as intense as the morning sun (10-1pm... It's scorching hot at noon!). In any case, as long as there is shade for your dog to retreat to, you shouldn't worry too much. Smile

-= Tisha =-

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my