Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
how to train "fetch"?

daisy
Novice

Jun 5, 2002, 10:01 PM

Post #1 of 18 (5170 views)
Shortcut
how to train "fetch"? Can't Post

I was playing wif my pup, i told her "fetch", threw her toys and she went after it and brought it back but she didnt give it to me, so i took it from her and threw it again and she went after it, but not giving it back to me each time, so i thought a treat/snack might help, so i told her "fetch" and threw the toy, but she seemed to be interested in the treat and didnt even go after the toy. May i know how to train "fetch"?

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 5, 2002, 10:30 PM

Post #2 of 18 (5167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daisy] how to train "fetch"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your puppy has out smarted you and he must be laughing, you human are so naive.
I could teach you how to do it with complete success, but forever you'll be spoon fed. So, think a step further and see if you can solve the problem and tell me how you could overcome it.

daisy
Novice

Jun 6, 2002, 7:08 PM

Post #3 of 18 (5147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] how to train "fetch"? [In reply to] Can't Post

okie, gimme a few days... she doesnt seemed to be interested in playing yesterday nite

delithra

Jun 7, 2002, 3:02 AM

Post #4 of 18 (5135 views)
Shortcut

haha, at least your puppy brings it back (even though she does not GIVE it to you). When I had mine, she would run and fetch and then run away to a corner with the toy, and with her jaw clamped shut like an oyster (and she was a retriever)hahaha.

She would pick up any stary rubber bad in her mouth and the moment we happen to 'see' her , and say NO!, she will clamp her mouth again and quickly try to swallow it. She did it with beetles , etc ....and she would chew tissue paper into a small wet ball, and then spit it out.
So many bad habits! But sooooo adorable and sooo loved.

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 7, 2002, 3:18 AM

Post #5 of 18 (5134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [delithra] how to train "fetch"? [In reply to] Can't Post

A small little trick I will teach you all and hope those who come into puppy com to fish for information will miss it.
When a dog or a puppy picked up something and refused to let go or clamped its jaws, never attempt to fight it. All you need to do is to lift up its ears and blowwwwwww. Money back guarantee if it doesn't work.

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 7, 2002, 4:03 AM

Post #6 of 18 (5131 views)
Shortcut

haha i've tried that before he hates it when ppl blows in his face or ears....yes mine will drop whatever he has in his mouth but he will also bark and attempt to bite my nose off if i blow at him Crazy....but it does get him to drop the stuff

Daisy, your dog already knows how to fetch now you hv to get him to actually give u the toy when he brings it back to u....try to teach him the 'leave it' or 'off' command.....this can be also very useful when u want him to drop something frm his mouth, eg when he's out walking and u know lar, dogs will pick up anything and everything disgusting along the way so this will be very helpful

(This post was edited by ginl on Jun 7, 2002, 4:08 AM)

daisy
Novice

Jun 7, 2002, 5:17 PM

Post #7 of 18 (5117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] how to train "fetch"? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, mine likes rubber band, leaves, grass... etc and yeap she clamps her mouth too if she wants it desperately, i haf never tried the blowing ear thing, and will try it tonite, heheh... well she doesnt brings back the toy i threw all the time, it's like she likes it she'll bring it back if not either she'll chew it where it dropped or just ignore it, does a pup also haf the mood to play and not to play??

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 8, 2002, 2:46 AM

Post #8 of 18 (5103 views)
Shortcut

Dogs and puppies are living things and of course they do have moods just like we human beings.
No no no, please don't try the blowing thing, because this is only for emergency application.
Since your puppy has already got the idea of 'fetch' but she refused to drop the toy/ball when she brought it back. What you are interested in her doing is to drop the toy/ball at your feet. Am I correct?
This is what you should do. Don't throw the toy too far, ideal distance is about 4 to 6 feet during the start. After she has fetched to toy and brought it back, reach into your pocket and bring out only one tiny bit of treat and offer it to her. She has to drop the toy to eat the treat isn't it? If you hold a handful of treats, she will only be interested in your handful of treats and will not fetch or bother to chase the ball. Puppies are not stupid you know. So the gist of this method is hide the treats, only offer when you play ball with me. When you bring it back I offer you a treat, and if you want to eat the treat, you have to let go of the ball to eat the treat. Slowly you increase the distance and slowly you offer less treats.
This is how, I trained my Dalmatians to fetch ball from one end to the other end of a football field.

daisy
Novice

Jun 8, 2002, 3:09 AM

Post #9 of 18 (5101 views)
Shortcut

wow, how smart... okie, gotta try that on her this weekend and tell u about it, thanks a lot

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 8, 2002, 7:13 AM

Post #10 of 18 (5094 views)
Shortcut

I tried that with my GSD pup before. Somehow, she still managed to outsmart me though I did exactly what Uncle Derrick said. Treats were hidden in pockets, but you know how dogs have super sensitive noses, rite? Tongue Nonetheless, I managed to teach her "fetch" using the "leave it" command Smile

-= Tisha =-

daisy
Novice

Jun 9, 2002, 2:37 AM

Post #11 of 18 (5087 views)
Shortcut

i tired throwing and she went after the toy n brought it back and drop it, though not right in front of my feet, close enuf without treatTongue, i did try to use the trick u taught me, but her sensitive nose makes her started sniffing around and somewhat lose concentration... so all i can do was to pat her on her head and praise her, no treats i guess...

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Jun 9, 2002, 3:38 AM

Post #12 of 18 (5084 views)
Shortcut

I think you can't hide anything from your dogs! They can even sense your mood! Wink With Jewel, I made a HUGE fuss over her if she gave me the ball or dropped it near my feet. I'd be like "Good Girl! Such a good girl! Who's a good girl? Yes, YOU are a good girl!"... all the while, I'll be hugging, patting her, etc...

-= Tisha =-

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 9, 2002, 5:31 AM

Post #13 of 18 (5081 views)
Shortcut

This is one of the things i've learned frm animal planet (i love this channel lol)....the trainer threw the toy, dog brings it back....he doesn't take it away frm him just yet....he lets the dog play with it for awhile, then he gives the 'leave it' command....the reason he gave was not all dogs enjoy the fetching game....and if your dog is one of them taking the toy immediately after he brings it back will make him think that u will only take the toy away frm him if he bings it back to u....so the trick is to not take it frm him immediately, let him play near u for awhile then take it frm him and throw it again

luckey
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 3:11 PM

Post #14 of 18 (5039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] how to train "fetch"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a cocker who just LURVES to fetch, but sometimes she doesnt want to give it back, but when I don't show any interest in taking it away from her, she drops it at my feet so I throw it again. If I try to take it first time, she runs away with the toy, but if I ignore him long enough, she drops it at my feet...

boon
Doggyman

Sep 18, 2002, 5:30 PM

Post #15 of 18 (5033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] how to train "fetch"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Luckey,

heheh, i faced the same problem as you, i throw basket ball , my notti angel will quickly run to fetch the thing, but never ever return as intended, she running around with the ball and find a place to hide herself and chew the ball.

Even i have the chopped carrots on hand.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

cdmoo
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 5:43 PM

Post #16 of 18 (5029 views)
Shortcut

hi,

do u have treats in ur hand? if u don't , probably she won't return the good ..

nowadays, Rex is kind of fussy in terms of treats. When come to a *perfect* (ie. throw- fetch/retrieve - return immediately) game, he needs to have cheese. It still works for other type of treats though, but he will take his own sweet time playing with the frisbee before dropping at my feet.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

melanie
Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2002, 6:37 PM

Post #17 of 18 (5025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] how to train "fetch"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, me too having problem for kiddie to bring the ball back tomeMad

Just like what you have mentioned, she will catch the ball and run for her life as though I am going to take it away....begining to give up on herUnsure

The worst is if I have the treats on my hand, she will just ignore all the playing and concerntrate on my hand!

I think she is just not the kind of dogs that like the fecthing game.....

Regards

ginl
ALPHA

Sep 18, 2002, 10:52 PM

Post #18 of 18 (5016 views)
Shortcut

Sounds like she's doing well....yeah give her some time to be comfortable enough to bring her toy back and play near u first before u take it frm her....mine brings it back alright but he expects to play tug if he brings back....so before i play tug with him i try the leave it command, if he drops the toy then i play with him else i won't....half the time it works heheh but the other half he runs off again with the toy....oh well....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my