Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Size of a newborn puppy

wmeng
Dog Kichi

Jun 2, 2002, 1:08 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2156 views)
Shortcut
Size of a newborn puppy Can't Post

Is it normal for a bitch to have only 1 puppy in a litter?

I went to view a pug puppy at a breeder's house in Ampang and his puppy was so 'tiny' (4 weeks of age) compared to the Shih Tsu (8 weeks)kept in the same cage, which is 3 times his size. The puppy's mother is only 2 years old now and I can't spot any visible wrinkles on her forehead. The father is 6 years old with visible wrinkles. Is the mother purebred? What makes the puppy so 'tiny'? Could this be due to malnutritional or something like that[Unsure
ENG
Proud owner of George, a male pug puppy
Born: 10/3/02

(This post was edited by wmeng on Jun 2, 2002, 1:34 AM)

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 2, 2002, 2:49 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmeng] Size of a newborn puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Questions are getting more and more difficult to answer. Just because you saw one live puppy from a pug litter, does not mean that the bitch gave birth to one and only puppy. It could be two three or even five. Perhaps those were not so fortunate to survive. If you don't ask the breeder, how are you sure there was only one puppy?
If it is pedigree, then chances are 99% purebred. If it is a non pedigree, then you only have the words of the breeder.
How "tiny" is your tiny? Housing a 4 weeks old pug puppy with a a 8 week Shih Tzu in the same crate? The breeder I must say is absolutely crazy. Best you save your travelling expenses and time and wait for better puppies.

wmeng
Dog Kichi

Jun 2, 2002, 3:42 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Size of a newborn puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Derrick,

Sorry if you find my question naive. I am not a dog owner yet myself and totally new to all this. I am also very concerned about the quality of puppy that I will be getting.

This is what I was told by the breeder. I even asked him if the litter only survived one puppy but his answer was no, the bitch only gave birth to one only.

The breeder even produced some certs issued by MKA of the parents of the puppy.

I actually have someone in mind to get the puppy from but it so happen that a friend of mine got the contact of this breeder and invited me to come along with her for pups viewing.

Perhaps you could share some views of yours on this issue...Tongue
ENG

Derrickok
Novice

Jun 2, 2002, 6:45 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmeng] Size of a newborn puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

In the past, I have provided help to members of this forum on selection of puppies, Therefore you are no exception to this service should you require it. However, there are some 250 recognised breeds and I doubt if anyone could or would dare say that he is well versed with all the breeds. When selecting a puppy, there are fortunately some basic things to look for and these sort of things are common to all the breed.
If the breeder could produce cets issused by MKA, then the chances of the puppy being pure breed is much greater. However, I would still need to look at the certs to verify.
Being a one puppy litter, you have deprived yourself of your consumer's rights. In other words your preference on puppy dog/puppy bitch is gone. 'This is what the breeder got, you either take it or leave it'
Since you already have someone in mind to get a puppy from, I suggest you wait.
If you are new in this doggie game, please remember that I have been in this doggie game for 50 years and there is very little I don't know about this game. My door are opened 24 hours a day for any questions and discussions. Sometimes I am right, but with my knowledge, seldom I could be wrong.
Anyway, buying a puppy to keep for 11-14 years, you need to be selective and careful.

wmeng
Dog Kichi

Jun 3, 2002, 11:23 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Size of a newborn puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your kind advice.

I know what I need now is patience but we (my hubby and myself) just can't wait to add a new member to the family. We have read a lot about pugs on the internet as well as visits to MPH Midvalley hunting for books.. ALL ABOUT PUGS. Laugh Are we crazy? Ha... Ha....TongueBlush

Tongue
ENG

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my