Losing Lots of Fur!!!

shfoo
Dog Kichi

Jul 8, 2003, 6:35 PM

Post #1 of 15 (5257 views)
Shortcut
Losing Lots of Fur!!! Can't Post

Hi,

I need some help over here. I have a 9 months old golden retriever. Lately she is losing lots of fur. I have change her shampoo to a new and better one (recommended for golden) but it still the same. Is it normal for a 9 months old puppy to losing lots of fur at this stage? A few months back, she did lose a lot of hair too but after a while, it seems to be OK. But now, it is back. FYI, she only takes Science Diet for her meal.

Your advise are very much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

SH Foo

Regards,
SH Foo

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 8, 2003, 11:00 PM

Post #2 of 15 (5242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shfoo] Losing Lots of Fur!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi There...

It's quite normal cos she might be changing fur. Maybe if you think it is very serious, let her have lamb and rice instead of chicken. No matter what brand, I think it's still ok...

Regards,
Swee ENg

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 9, 2003, 9:10 AM

Post #3 of 15 (5233 views)
Shortcut

hi,

swee eng is right. probably is shedding time for her and she's changing coat. i think they shed like 2 times a year? not really sure.

my dog sheds a shocking amount of hair, especially during mid year and end of the year. as long as you don't see bald patches on her, i think it should be okay.

btw, i've visited the vet last week, and she diagnosed that my dog was shedding too much and said it was due to his unhealthy hair folikles. i purchased a bottle of medicated shampoo and some tablets for hair maintanence. his seems to shed less hair now.

maybe you could go buy those hair maintanence tablets in pet shops. i heard there are some that could make the dog's coat more rich and shiny.

regards,
hunter

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 9, 2003, 5:00 PM

Post #4 of 15 (5228 views)
Shortcut

hi shfoo, Smile

My puppy went through that stage too...and Swee Eng and Hunter are right, maybe she's changing fur.

I switched to Lamb & Rice formula, fed him Nutricoat (coat supplement), multivitamin, changed his shampoo to a milder one and brushed him constantly (to avoid excessive fur flying around the house). Later I started giving him Cod Liver Oil cause it was recommended by a lot of the forumers.

Have to be patient cause once that phase is over, all the right stuff I fed him paid off I guess...he grew back a nice thick coat and despite him being fluffy, he doesn't shed much.

Hope this helps Wink

ffredlee

Dec 1, 2003, 4:54 AM

Post #5 of 15 (5124 views)
Shortcut

Hi..there, haven't been here for ages. Lately my Bobby also sheds lotsa fur.. My parents are both worried but I do understand its normal for goldie to lose hair but how much is normal? I am not sure myself, he's losing like a bunch. and when we pat him, he'll shed some more. My mom has been sweeping hair on the floor almost daily.

Bobby's quite normal still, active and has enormous appetite as before. The other dogs doesn't lose hair as much. Its not so alarming but bI hope we can control this hair falling business.

Pls give idea. Thanks..Ohh by the way, Bobby eat Alpo. And we also feed him rice with chicken meat and bits of vegi.

fredaTongue

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Dec 12, 2003, 1:13 AM

Post #6 of 15 (5103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Losing Lots of Fur!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smilehi sweeeng,

well i needed your help...my bf's dog a long hair spitz + pomeranion has been shedding very badly.. and i know that it's common for them to shed but then this happens almost everyday... what shall we do then..?? do you have any remedy to cure her from shedding that much..cause her fur has been flying all over the house and my bf has to sweep the floor most of the time due to the excessive furs in the house... what kinda medicine do you recomend that will help her to shed her furs lesser ? Unsure
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 12, 2003, 8:26 AM

Post #7 of 15 (5094 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

Most dogs change from a puppy coat to an adult coat ... from between 8months to a year ... And then after that - Labs and GRs will shed - usually twice a year (some owners swear that each shedding lasts 6 months ... Tongue) ...

Look carefully at your dog's coat ... when a dog is shedding, the coat may be thinner but there should not be any bald or thinning patches ... and the skin should still look healthy, without dark or red patches ... and your dog should not be itching/scratching excessively ... And your dog's coat should have a nice healthy doggy smell ...

If your dog passes all the above ... your dog should be okay ...

Cheers Smile ...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 12, 2003, 8:48 AM

Post #8 of 15 (5092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yumiko_masaki] Losing Lots of Fur!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Have noticed that many breeds tend to shed in our warm & humid climate ... and in the absence of other indications & signs ... that is quite normal ... If it's just normal shedding, then no medication is required.

Check the posting above this one some examples of signs that might indicate possible coat or skin problem ...

There are numerous coat/skin supplements available to help a dog maintain good coat/skin condition ... A good pet shop will carry a wide range ...

You can try Keeper's Mix ... We find that really good.

Cheers Smile

sweeeng
ALPHA

Dec 12, 2003, 7:19 PM

Post #9 of 15 (5083 views)
Shortcut

My mom has a spitz x promeranian too... and he sheds a lot too. We changed his food from a supermarket brand to a more well known brand and he's shedding less now... but I won't say that he doesn't shed at all... so maybe your bf can try changing his dog's food.

Regards,
Swee Eng

lovepinky
New User

Dec 12, 2003, 7:55 PM

Post #10 of 15 (5082 views)
Shortcut

Hi, i'm new in this forum..... just want to share with you all about doggie.. nice to meet you all.

Hi, i'm small pinscher !!!! Name : Pinky.....

cdmoo
ALPHA

Dec 13, 2003, 6:26 PM

Post #11 of 15 (5068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Losing Lots of Fur!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

my lab sheds 365 days in a year.. but his coat is ok..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 13, 2003, 8:20 PM

Post #12 of 15 (5065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Losing Lots of Fur!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad yo hear your dog is fine ... Smile ... but this shedding thing is kinda strange ...

Our Lab actually has 2 distinct shedding seasons, like right now, she is in her coating season ... her coat is obviously thicker and you can actually run you fingers through her coat and not get any or many loose hair at all ...

But some Retrievers seem to shed more or less all year round ... even those we have met in cold countries. ... so ...

Well ... as long as dog is healthy ... it's okay lar ...

Cheers Smile

cdmoo
ALPHA

Dec 13, 2003, 11:17 PM

Post #13 of 15 (5063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Losing Lots of Fur!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi SK,

Comparing with other labs, Rex's coat is little bit thicker.. especially at the back & around the neck. Although he sheds 365 days (in my opinion)....but there r times he does shed more than usual...
Nevertheless, i think he's healthy .. coat-wise ..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

(This post was edited by cdmoo on Dec 13, 2003, 11:18 PM)

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Dec 20, 2003, 8:29 PM

Post #14 of 15 (5043 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi sweeeng,

thanks for giving me this important information.. i haveask my bf to change the dog food, but i still don't really know what kind od dog food is going to help to improve the dog coat.. pls advice...Unsure
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 20, 2003, 11:41 PM

Post #15 of 15 (5040 views)
Shortcut

Hi ... Smile

Nutrition plays a big part in helping a dog maintain healthy coat and skin ... So, the better you feed your dog, the better the dog's health and therefore the better its coat/skin will be ...

You can improve a dog's coat by (a) Moving to a higher grade of dog food ... (b) By giving supplements for coat and skin ... (c) ... By feeding your dog with freshly produced food ...

Or a combination of all the above ...

For example: Better brands of dog food will use human grade meats, will minimise corn/wheat fillers (some will use brown rice instead), will add aupplements such as alfafa, brewers yeast, fish and/or egg, lanoleic acid, flaxseed oil, omega oils, vitamins & other trace elements ... for better nutrition. You will need to do some research on the Internet and check the ingredients on the back of the pack before buying the dog food. You can try checking out the following sites:

www.iei.net/~ebreeden/kibble.html

www.1st-for-dogs.com/dog-food-12/top-dog-foods.html

Example of supplements: You can give supplements like Keeper's Mix, fish oil, safflower oil, kelp supplements, multivitamins, etc ... again do some research ...

As for giving freshly prepared food ... Check the other threads in the forum ... you can also try the following site:

www.doggieconnection.com/recipe/

Basically - improve a dog's nutrition and you will generally see improvement in coat & skin ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 20, 2003, 11:42 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my