Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
biting and attacking

daisy
Novice

May 30, 2002, 2:43 AM

Post #1 of 11 (4967 views)
Shortcut
biting and attacking Can't Post

My dog is 3 months and i think it's teething time, i got her some chew toys but she enjoys chewing me instead, whenever i play wif her, so i hit her mouth, not hard of course but then she'll turns to the attack mode and growls at me... help, i really dont know how to stop her biting prob...Pirate i'm afraid that she'll grows up biting and attacking people..

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

May 30, 2002, 5:13 AM

Post #2 of 11 (4956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daisy] biting and attacking [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's what I did with my German Shepherd pup... I'm not sure if it's the proper way, but it worked quite well for me...

Grab hold of the muzzle and hold it shut, look at the dog and say in a deep, stern voice "NO". Usually they will try to wriggle free, but hold on a bit more and repeat "NO". Then let go and if she does it again, repeat the procedure. She'll learn before long that her behaviour is unacceptable.

Nonetheless, you shouldn't really allow your pup to chew on you. It may be fun right now, but she'll grow bigger sooner or later, and her teeth can really cause damage. In fact, puppy teeth are really painful! It's sharper now than when they grow older! Good luck w/ your pup. I'm sure some of the more experienced dogowners will have plenty of advice Smile

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

May 30, 2002, 6:42 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] biting and attacking [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because you are Tisha the PyRoMaNiac and returned to the forum to help out with some of the minor problems related to puppies biting, I'll solve this problem once of for all.
A three months or younger puppy is by nature playful. And there is no way, not even me could stop them from biting at my hands. Puppy teeth are razor sharp and when they are excited and really start to get a little rough with these sharp teeth, they could either puncture through your skin or cause a nasty scratch.
In order to avoid such an unpleasant accident, and yet you love to play with you puppy, there is one solution. Go and visit your local hardware store and ask for a pair of welder's gloves, the cost is about RM12 to RM15. These gloves are made of leather of poor quality, yet they will give you sufficient protection. Wear them and have fun with your puppy. If it does not work, I'll eat my hat.

daisy
Novice

May 30, 2002, 6:10 PM

Post #4 of 11 (4946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] biting and attacking [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, if i do get those gloves, will this encourage her to the biting habit, i mean what if she grows up and think it's ok to bite... yeah i know she just wanna play and excited, but i'm just so scared of her teeth, anyway, i shally try the glove thing, thanks

as for the closing her mouth with my hand and said no, i did that b4, doesnt really work... yet

Derrickok
Novice

May 30, 2002, 8:59 PM

Post #5 of 11 (4939 views)
Shortcut

You are over reacting and got all your priorities back to front.
What is your objective now? Ask yourself this question and I am sure the answer is to play with your puppy, yet you would not get hurt when he bites your hand.
Later on at 5 to 6 months when those sharp teeth are falling off the adult teeth grow, they won't be as sharp as what you are experiencing now. At this age you start another programme. And this programme will involve when is it OK to bite and when it is not.
Cross the bridge when you come to it.

Khoobg
Webmaster

May 31, 2002, 5:44 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4918 views)
Shortcut

All puppies like to bite or chew on something. If you observer a group of puppies, they will tend to bite each other. These bitting behaviour does not mean that they will grow up with a habbit of biting others when they are adult.

For example, when I let my pug puppies loose, they will start to rush towards me and start to bite on any parts that they can get hold of. As they grow, these biting habbit will disappear.

To stop your puppy from biting you, you may wish to startle them with loud doggie noise. Once they stop biting you momentary, replace with a chewable toy quickly. In this way, they may learn that it is no fun biting you.

Anyway, biting is part of puppyhood and it can be fun :-)

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

daisy
Novice

May 31, 2002, 9:49 PM

Post #7 of 11 (4911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] biting and attacking [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah i did that b4, but once if i sit down on the floor then she'll chew me instead, anyway, do u know when is it the rite time for her to guard the house, how do i train her? at the moment she is happy meeting anyone, mabbe she's too young and still playful

Khoobg
Webmaster

May 31, 2002, 11:52 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Not all dog can guard your property. Only certain members of certain breed is able to do so. While GSD and Rotti may be good for guarding properties, not all of them is able to do so. It goes down to their bloodline.

In your case, since it is a moxed breed, you may not sure about its origin and you may have to wait and see.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

SeanYoung
Dog Kichi

Mar 19, 2004, 5:35 PM

Post #9 of 11 (4310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] biting and attacking [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Khoo,
I just got myself a TRD 8 mths old. I'm not sure how to handle the dog. Even at 8 mths old, he is already look like a giant to me. A bit scared and he is not really responding to my voice right now. Does he need to attend obedience class. I don't mind sending him to one. Will he bite if I be more firm and strict? The strange thing is that how come he is easily following new owner. He doesn't bark at strangers. I can just easily take him over.
This is the second day, and he has been urinating excessively all over my house compound and near all my cars tyres. Any advice?
Will it be a problem if he is in the crate while I work from 7:00am to 7:00pm? I plan to take the dog for evening walk everyday at 7:15pm for an hour while during weekend will spend more time. Will it be sufficient attention that the dog need? My uncle also help to walk the dog earlier at 5:00pm. Hopefully can handle the dog better. I just worried about the biting part for now.

hungheykwun
Novice

Mar 30, 2004, 9:28 PM

Post #10 of 11 (4279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] biting and attacking [In reply to] Can't Post

hah? the baby teeth will fall off ? how come i never found any when cleaning the porch?

a_evie
Doggyman

Apr 1, 2004, 4:46 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hungheykwun] biting and attacking [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes the doggie couldd have swallowed the teeth as well...so u probaly won't see it unless you search their poo.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my