Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Will doggie throw a tantrum just like human being???

May
Old Hand

May 29, 2002, 7:57 PM

Post #1 of 7 (994 views)
Shortcut
Will doggie throw a tantrum just like human being??? Can't Post

Just wonder will doggie throw a tantrum just like human being????

Yesterday, all my family member went out to the market. Our puppy (9 months now) was keep in the house and she barked like mad went she saw them leaving the house. She wants to follow them out. When they reach home, our house all messed up with chewed books, shee shee and poo poo on the floor. Normally she will do her business in the crate (when we leave her alone) which is keep in the house. We also provide her with lots of chew toys.

Derrickok
Novice

May 30, 2002, 4:18 AM

Post #2 of 7 (981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Will doggie throw a tantrum just like human being??? [In reply to] Can't Post

The answer is a positive YES. Since your dog was not caught red-handed and checked and reprimanded on the first occasion, you could expect a repetition under similar situation. However, there is still hope if you are able to outsmart her.
I could teach you how, but you are not learning anything to overcome future problems. Think about it for a day or two and tell me how you could solve this problem.

delithra

May 31, 2002, 3:26 AM

Post #3 of 7 (965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Will doggie throw a tantrum just like human being??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am waiting for the reply to this (for future training techniques). I read that each time you leave the house and each time you get home, to ignore the pup for a bit, and not lavish attention on her. That way, the pup gets used to being left alone for a bit.

When we had our puppy, we were faced with this situation as well..she would do her do-do on the paper (like a well trained pup) and then occasionally she would drag and tear the paper with the do-do all over the place, after a barking frenzy went without any answer from her human pack members.

How do I avoid this with the next pup? We invested in a 3 foot cage this time, so less damage can occur when the pup is left alone. Have also purchased the Kong toy, the ball that rolls out treats, and other chew toys to keep pup busy. Now to get the pup...............Blush

(This post was edited by delithra on May 31, 2002, 3:35 AM)

May
Old Hand

May 31, 2002, 5:52 PM

Post #4 of 7 (950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Will doggie throw a tantrum just like human being??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably I should crate her when she's alone. But whenever I put her in her crate she will start to bark, jump, stratch and do whatever she can to get out. I can't let her bark for a long time as I'm afraid my neighbour will complain/make report.

Every morning I'll wake up at 6:00am and open the door for her to go out and do her business. I don't keep her in the crate. But after that, if I want to go up stair to continue my sleep she will bark at the stair case. I think she doesn't like to be left alone.

I really don't know what to do. When someone's around, she behave like an angel but when she's alone she behave like a little devil (although not in every occassion). Please help.

cdmoo
ALPHA

May 31, 2002, 6:30 PM

Post #5 of 7 (947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Will doggie throw a tantrum just like human being??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi May,
I think ur/ur family have given her too much attention, hence, there's no way for her to be left alone. Try to TOTALLY ignore her if possible.
Have u tried to crate her outside of the house? May be she likes it. As for my puppy, he did the same thing (barking & crying when crated in-house) while we r in the house. So, finally, we caged him outside of the house, and he was overjoyed! Perhaps, he enjoys the fresh air.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

May
Old Hand

May 31, 2002, 7:11 PM

Post #6 of 7 (945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Will doggie throw a tantrum just like human being??? [In reply to] Can't Post

She doesn't like to be crated outside of the house either. Sometimes, I put her outside and lock the grill, she will stratch the grill and bark. She wants to come in. She loves to sit on my laps and when I sleep on the sofa, she will sleep under the sofa. When my Mum cook in the kitchen, she will sit besides the entrance to the kitchen. I guess she want to be close to us.

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 1, 2002, 7:51 AM

Post #7 of 7 (931 views)
Shortcut

A lot of dogs hv seperation anxiety and it can lead to destructive behaviours....mine follows me everywhere i go too and like what Delithra read and i did too, try to ignore her about 15 mins before u go out and when you're walking out the door, do not pet her....just walk straight out without paying any attention to her....luckily mine sometimes only barks for a few seconds after i walk out the door and when he knows i'm not coming back he stops.

Another good thing is to get her one of those kong toys....u can put in lots of treats, make it hard for the treats to come out and that will keep her very occupied and when she's occupied she won't get into mischief.....if u come home and she poo poo or pee pee all over don't punish her coz u didn't catch her red handed....but if she does it at the right place give her lots of praise....what i normally do is if i come home and see my dog pee pee at the right place, i'd take a treat and go to where he pee pee, point at the pee, give him lots of praise for doing it at the right place and let him hv his treat....it seems to work so far coz he cud associate his good behaviour with the reward he got

(This post was edited by ginl on Jun 1, 2002, 8:00 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my