Housebreaking

jason
Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2001, 10:38 AM

Post #1 of 11 (5310 views)
Shortcut
Housebreaking Can't Post

Hi all,

I would like to post this discussion since not much infos was listed here. This is also a interesting discussion that has been appeared in many other doggie forums.
Housebreaking is a problem for many dog lovers. They don't know what are the effective methods in their condition to house break a puppy. For me, I've looked through many infos, like forum, books, articles, internet resources in housebreaking. Nevertheless, many of it still not work.
In my case, I'm training my puppy by bringing her outside every now and then to hope that she will know the right place and time to do her business. Until now, it works but still having some accidents sometime. So, what you think about my method of training and what about yours?
Hope to share more, thanks.

regards,
jason

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 25, 2001, 12:08 PM

Post #2 of 11 (5303 views)
Shortcut
Re: Housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

You have the right approach Jason. As a thumb of rule, this is how a puppy will react to its pee pee & poo poo. I have bred & brought up no less than 180 puppies, and I have observed their patterns in answering to nature's call. I am not smarter than my puppies, I shall have never ending work attending to perhaps 9-10 puppies in a litter.
Let us take the issue to the stage when an owner acquired a new puppy. I am not so bothered when the puppies are with the breeder.
When a puppy is ready to go to a new home, it should be about 8-10 weeks old.. At this age 85-90% of puppy's time is spent sleeping. Balance of 15% is eat and play.
When a puppy wakes up from its sleep, you should take him out to the garden or where ever you wanted it to pee pee and leave it there to encourage it to do it there.
After a meal, give it 4-6 minutes the most and you must bring it out to the garden to answer to its nature's call. You must also be around to praise him and to encourage it when he has done the right thing.
As for the long night that is from 8.00PM to next morning 7.00AM you will have to clean up.
Puppies are not very good in holding their pee pee & poo poo. As they grow older their organs are developed and they will be able to hold back what they are supposed to do at a certain place.
I have also come across methods such as lay a piece of newspaper under the puppy and gradually moving the newspaper towards the door and then to the garden. And I have also come across products which claimed it could house trained a puppy. Well if you believe in this type of product, by all means spend and try it out.
My philosophy in training a puppy to house-breaking is simply.
Be prepared to do some cleaning up occasionally. Accident do happen at times. Your job is to observe the tell-tale signs and once you have recognised them you could prevent the act of pissing and shitting from your puppy.
Hope this will help.
Derrickok.

jason
Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2001, 8:33 AM

Post #3 of 11 (5285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Hi Derrick,

May I know from you that how you usually train a puppy to house break since you have so much experience in bringing up dogs? I mean what is the best method in your opinion. It is quite interesting for me to know about it because you have many puppies and dogs and how you manage to control their nature calls? Just tell some ... hehe, thanks yea.Smile

regards,
jason

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Nov 30, 2001, 8:00 PM

Post #4 of 11 (5279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah!! I'm also very interested to know..just how do you train one whole litter of puppies..??!! Smile

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Derrickok
Novice

Dec 1, 2001, 12:12 AM

Post #5 of 11 (5272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Very very easy lah!!!
No.1 Common sense should prevail.
N0.2 Observation.
No.3 A handy place for puppy to sheee sheee and
Pooh Pooh
No.4 Outsmart and outdo your puppies.

Common sense should prevail-we all know that puppies at 6/7 weeks or perhaps up to 4 months cannot hold back their sheee sheee and phoo phooo
Before meal time, they got to shee shee and after meal time they got to pooh pooh. Bring them to garden or on the grass. Everything shall be OK.
If you observe carefully, the mother will lick up everything when they are still suckling, so what the big deal? You will also observe that when puppy sleeps, all will sleep. If one wakes up all will follow suit. The first to wake will be the first to go out to the garden, where it will do the shee shee.
The place or your garden must be handy, no more than perhaps 10-15 steps away from the litter. Therefore, you need to plan before hand where is going to be the maternity hospital, where is going the be the kindergarten and finally where is going to the primary school.
You may be caught once or twice by a smart puppy to give you extra work to clean up after his shee shee but if you pay careful attention to his movements and its characteristics before doing a shee shee, then as soon as that characteristic shows carry smart alex to the garden before it could do any damages.
Believe you me, a dog is very clean by nature. It never eat, sleep and by the same token shit at the same place. I have an adult Dalmatian being kept indoor for almost 3 perhaps 4 years now. At 8.00PM rain or moonshine, she is let out on to the garden for 15 minutes, and during this time, she knew why she has to go out,never have I once got to clean the floor next morning.
Regards.
Derrickok

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Dec 1, 2001, 12:26 AM

Post #6 of 11 (5271 views)
Shortcut

LOL..derrick very funny...you are lucky..mine makes me wake up at 8am because she cannot tahan overnight!!! FrownFrownFrown

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Khoobg
Webmaster

Dec 1, 2001, 1:50 AM

Post #7 of 11 (5263 views)
Shortcut

For the experienced Derrick Kok, all seem to be piece of cake. I just learnt from him that he is also very good at searching for missing dogs. Next time your dog is missing, call Uncle Derrick Cool

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

Derrickok
Novice

Dec 1, 2001, 3:15 AM

Post #8 of 11 (5259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

THANK YOU THANK YOU MR.KHOO. PLEASE INFORM YOUR LIST MEMBERS THAT I AM INDEED VERY GOOD FOR SEARCHING THE A&W CORNEY DOG!!!!!

jason
Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2001, 6:08 AM

Post #9 of 11 (5256 views)
Shortcut

Waooo ...
It seems so easy and happy for our uncle derrick to manage his doggie shee shee and pooh pooh ... but it has been a big headache for some people to deal with it ...Tongue
Anyway, my 6 months old girl still cannot hold until tomorrow morning and will do all her business in her crate Blush ... so bad for me to clean it up every morningFrown

Derrickok
Novice

Dec 1, 2001, 6:47 AM

Post #10 of 11 (5255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Housebreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Six months old tidak boleh. Wait until she is 8 months then may be. BTW[by the way] I have all this while thought you all wanted to know how to house-train you dog DURING DAY LIGHT how was I to know you also WANTED MOON LIGHT.
For a puppy of six months old to house train her both daylight as well as moonlight cannot Oh, unless at 12.30AM you are prepared to bring her out to the garden again for the final round of Shee Shee .
Regards.
DK

jason
Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2001, 7:15 PM

Post #11 of 11 (5250 views)
Shortcut

Hi Derrick,

I have cut down the supply for my puppy. But now, she still has to poo poo at least 5 times a day! What do you think?
Also, I'm putting her in a crate which is large enough for her to turn around. The problem is she likes to shee shee in her crate every now and then inside her crate. At day time, I manage to control her poo poo by bringing her out every 4-5 hours, but cannot control her shee shee...FrownFrown
Another thing, some advices did mention that 2 hours before bed time, we may take off her water bowl until the next day morning in order to control her shee shee. Is this ok?

regards

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my