First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 25, 2001, 6:43 AM

Post #1 of 35 (6950 views)
Shortcut
DOG SHOWS Can't Post

Hello members,
My name is Derrickok. I have been showing dogs since 1963. I do not profess that I am an expert on this subject, but over the years, I have acquired sufficient knowledge and expertise to pass on to those who may be interested to show your dogs in the future at Championship Dog Shows.
Anyone who is interested, may post a message in puppy.com. But I have certain conditions which are reasonable. First, you must introduce yourself, your gender and your age. I need your age is because there is such a class in Championship Dog Shows know as Junior Handling. If you are between 9-16 I'll groom you for this class, because you will not stand a chance with the seasoned exhibitors. Secondly, you must tell me what breed of dogs you wish to exhibit. And finally, I only want those who are sincerely and genuinely interested in this game.
Regards,
Derrickok.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Nov 26, 2001, 12:10 PM

Post #2 of 35 (6941 views)
Shortcut
Re: DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

hai derrickok:
i'm 23 year old male came from j.b. i 'm very intersted to join a dog show , when every time i go for thedog show, and i always hope can be 1 of them. but i had no expenricen on that.
i had a male rottweiller puppy ( 10 month) , and it no a show dog.
and now i was try to look for a show french masttif or show rottweiller , but what i can see on the market , is so difficult to get a show dog.
so when i read ur mail , knew that u are expert in the dog show, so hope we can be a friends and hope u can teach me more about dog.
do hope can see ur reply .. thank you!

from alex thain

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 26, 2001, 5:00 PM

Post #3 of 35 (6937 views)
Shortcut

Hello AlexThian,
Thank you for taking an interest in showing dogs.Please be reminded that I am in no position to teach you all the tricks of the trade,simply because you are in JB and I am in KL. However, I have exhibitor friends all over the states, be it JB,Perak,Malacca,and so on.Perhaps at a later stage I could tell you who is willing to show you physically and then you could go and approach that 'See Foo'
I was once asked by a judge in a seminar, why do I want to take part in dog shows? My answer was blah....... blah....... I judge cut me short and said that I wanted to participate in dog shows because I wanted to WIN!! It suddenly woke me up and certainly that was my objective. Therefore, I want to start you off on the right footing with the right attitude.
You said you went to see dog shows, you are interested in dog shows and you also wanted to take part in dog shows, but have no experience. These are very correct attitude. Experience is something you cannot acquired overnight. It has to be cultured and gained, so this is something you will acquire as you go along.
You said that you now have a 10 months old puppy rottweiller and is not a show dog. What makes you said that? How do you know it is not show quality? Anyway, I am not going to confuse you. But I will make you think a little bit and you come back to me with your decision.
Rottweiller,Boxers,GSD,Dobermann,Neapolitan Mastiff, etc etc are classified as the 'Working Group' in our MKA dog shows.The first 4 breed are very competitve and indeed very stiff to win in its respective class. So, you may as well forget in getting a Rottweiller unless you are prepared to spend RM5,000.00 or above. As for GSD anything less than RM30,000.00 forget about winning. Your French Mastiff/Neapolitan Mastiff is also not cheap. Locally bred puppy of show quality is about RM1800-RM2300. Unfortunately I am not very familiar with the breed standard, so I cannot offer you any sound advise. However, are you only interested in big dogs or what about medium size dogs, long-haired or short-haired? I know of a very reputable local judge who has bred some beautiful and show quality Dobermann in KL. At present he has one litter of pupies only one week old from Championship lines. He is one such person you could buy puppies from him with your eyes closed, because he will not sell you rubbish and con you. Now if you are interested, tell me and I will keep you informed.
Regards.
Derrickok.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Nov 26, 2001, 5:10 PM

Post #4 of 35 (6932 views)
Shortcut

Hey Alex..I'm also from JB and have the same interests as you ..erm..2 yrs younger then you and I am also looking for someone to teach me how to show dogs and stuff..just got a baby dachshund..:) who's really cute by the way..

Are you going for the show in Singapore..if I'm not mistaken it's in the middle of next month..It's near Changi I think..

Anyways, welcome to the forum..:)

Alexthian
Dog Kichi

Nov 26, 2001, 7:26 PM

Post #5 of 35 (6928 views)
Shortcut

Hei ,rainbow so glad to read ur reply. and so happy and hope we can be a friends.
oh! next month singapore will have a dog show ? when and where ? do u mind to let me know? Maybe we can go to the dog show togerthe .. is this a good idea?
mmmm! can i know what dog u had ? i had a rottweiller puppy(10 month) , he is so nought.
so i from tmn sentosa, and u?
anyway , so happy to read ur reply. keep in touch ! ok bye

Edited by Alexthian on 11/25/01 08:27 PM.

Alexthian
Dog Kichi

Nov 26, 2001, 7:40 PM

Post #6 of 35 (6927 views)
Shortcut
Re:PUPPY FOR DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

HAI DERRIC :
IS ME ALEX AGAIN, so glad to read ur reply. acculty i 'm not just intrest in a big dog only.
from ur mail , knew that ur friends had a dobermann puppy looking for ownner ,don't know taht m'i enought qualify to own this dog?? ( cause some breeder don't want their champain puppy go into a guy who had a litter expercian whit dog) .sure i hope i can have this puppy. can i know about this puppy(such like , price ...ETC)
thank you !

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 26, 2001, 8:25 PM

Post #7 of 35 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Hello Alex
This litter of Dobermann pupy is only 10 days old. Not so soon yet to find one of show quality until they are at least 6-8 weks old.. If you are interested, I will keep you informed.
Regards.
Derrickok.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Nov 27, 2001, 6:35 AM

Post #8 of 35 (6901 views)
Shortcut
Dog Show in Singapore [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Alex, here are the details

117th and 118th SKC Dog Show
Venue: Singapore Expo Hall 3
Date: 16 December 2001
Time: 9am-6pm

WIll you be going? I've already planned to go..give me your email and I will email you..you can send me a private message if you don't want you email on the forum..

I have a standard long hair dachshund..you know those little sausage dogs as most people call them..I stay near English College..maybe we could meet up some time..great to meet someone with similar interests..
:)

Alexthian
Dog Kichi

Nov 27, 2001, 10:11 PM

Post #9 of 35 (6887 views)
Shortcut

derric"
thank you! so hope can hear a good new form u...

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2003, 5:39 PM

Post #10 of 35 (6762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alexthian] Re:PUPPY FOR DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Why show a dog ? What's the original purpose of a dog show?
At around 1850s, the first dog show was organize by a few English in Newcastle who gathers together to discuss about their dogs and compare breeding stock, so as to IMPROVE the quality of their beloved breed. The original purpose of a Conformation Dog Show is to evaluate breeding stock and IMPROVE the QUALITY of the breed by selecting the best stocks available. But now in our 21st Century....it just seems that the original purpose of a dog show had been lost.
Now, dog shows are mainly filled with ppl who show their dogs for ego purposes and namesake....Mainly some rich "kids" who come into the dog show with a Bang.
It's always sad to see exhibitors going to dog shows and treat their dogs as "toys". When the dog doesn't win, the owner will sell it off and acquire a new one. And this process continues.....Unsure

(This post was edited by Altana_Mystique on Jan 27, 2003, 6:02 PM)

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2003, 5:45 PM

Post #11 of 35 (6761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
Though this reply is abit late....but I would like to know what lines are behind this batch of litter? Are the ancestors of Am lineage? Thank you. [;)]
[reply] I know of a very reputable local judge who has bred some beautiful and show quality Dobermann in KL. At present he has one litter of pupies only one week old from Championship lines. He is one such person you could buy puppies from him with your eyes closed, because he will not sell you rubbish and con you. Now if you are interested, tell me and I will keep you informed.
Regards.
Derrickok.

[/reply]

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2003, 6:11 PM

Post #12 of 35 (6753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Anonymous] DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Alex,
The basics to look out for if your dog is suitable for the show ring is to check if it has Cow-hocks, East_West front,a dippy topline and two normally descended testicles. Your dog shouldn't have cow-hocks or East West fronts or dippy topline.
If everything is alright....then you should look at the proportion of your dog...If I'm not wrong....the body proportion of a Rottie is that the length of body from point of shoulder to croup should be SLIGHTLY..around 1/10 longer than the height which is from the feet to the withers.
And the brisket must be around 50% the dog's height.....

These are the basics to look out for.........to determine if your dog is suitable for the ring....

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 28, 2003, 8:26 AM

Post #13 of 35 (6739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

hi derrick and others :D

my name is li ping and i'm currently 19 yrs old. i'm really glad that you're willing to share the knowledge of dog shows to whoever interested, i find that really generous of u to offer such help.

i'm certainly interested in this game too. but i hope to first have sufficient knowledge about what's basically going on when we talk about shows. not quite sure whether my dog (golden retriever) is of dog show quality (he's my first dog, and i never dreamt of showing him all this while).

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 28, 2003, 8:28 AM

Post #14 of 35 (6737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Altana_Mystique] DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

was wondering about cow-hocks... i read it's when the dogs' hind legs are facing in/out? are dogs born with cow-hocks since a puppy? or they just developed it as they grow up due to certain reasons?

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 28, 2003, 5:14 PM

Post #15 of 35 (6729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Li Ping,
Yes.........cow-hocks are when the toes are pointing outwards. A dog with cow-hocks won't be able to exhibit a proper gait. When it gaits, most likely the hindquarters will be winging out.
Some dogs are born with cow-hocks....it can't be rectified. But some dogs have cow hocks due to weak hindquarters, thus by bringing it out for jogs/runs for often will strengthen the hindquarters and hopefully the hocks will be parallel again.
Another instance is when the environment of the dog which he is living has smooth/slippery floor like tiles...in the long run...the dog will develope cow-hocks and that I believe can't be rectified.
For puppies.....they tend to stand with their hindquarters pointing outwards because they are weak and muscles have yet to develope. But if a puppy, still walks with the toes pointing outwards badly...then it's probably a cow-hock already... Wink

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 29, 2003, 7:10 PM

Post #16 of 35 (6715 views)
Shortcut

hi,

gosh... then i suppose my dog might've developed cow-hocks since he's always on a slippery surface.

if u dun mind can u pls elaborate more on east_west front and dippy topline? are dogs naturally born with those symptoms..?

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 29, 2003, 10:56 PM

Post #17 of 35 (6706 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hunter,

If you've noticed Biscuit's two front legs, they're pointing east-west....the two paws point outwards instead of straight towards the front...he was borned with it and i guess the slippery floor didn't help either....but he's still the apple of my eye Smile

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 30, 2003, 12:33 AM

Post #18 of 35 (6702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

ohh... that's east-west front...

but i think it's kinda cute though :D especially when your dog is tiny and short... looks good!

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 30, 2003, 2:35 AM

Post #19 of 35 (6697 views)
Shortcut

heheh...actually it makes him look kinda like a dachshund coz of the short legs and long body....but it's a fault in the breed std.

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 30, 2003, 6:35 PM

Post #20 of 35 (6680 views)
Shortcut

East West front causes weight to fall on the wrong areas of the dog....thus causes stress on the joints. In the long run, dog may develope problems..e.g Hip dysplasia...etc.
Usually dipp toplines appear because the dog has a weak back/ too long a back.

In Reply To
hi,

if u dun mind can u pls elaborate more on east_west front and dippy topline? are dogs naturally born with those symptoms..?

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 30, 2003, 11:57 PM

Post #21 of 35 (6670 views)
Shortcut

wooooo...........

seem that there's really so many things to learn in dog shows! anymore highlights about dog showing?

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2003, 2:24 AM

Post #22 of 35 (6663 views)
Shortcut

Hi Altana_mystique,

Is there a way to correct a dip topline situation?

Altana_Mystique
Dog Kichi

Jan 31, 2003, 6:50 AM

Post #23 of 35 (6659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snoopydog] DOG SHOWS [In reply to] Can't Post

If the body is too long that causes a dip.....I'm afraid it can't be corrected.

But if the body proportion is right.....and there is a slight deep....it may be due to the lack of exercise that causes a weak top line. You can just run the dog more often to strengthen the back.

In Reply To
Hi Altana_mystique,

Is there a way to correct a dip topline situation?

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 31, 2003, 8:11 AM

Post #24 of 35 (6656 views)
Shortcut

Hi Altana,

What do u mean by a dip topline? You mean the back is not straight?

snoopydog
Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2003, 5:07 PM

Post #25 of 35 (6653 views)
Shortcut

Thanks altana_mystique Smile! Bodhi (my little rascal beagle)'s back is slightly dipped. Body proportion seems ok. So, I guess it must be the lack of exercise (quite true actually Unsure). Gee, thanks again Wink. Otherwise I wouldn't have known and before I know it, Bodhi might develop back problems later in life Frown.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my