Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
Nico

sugar&spice
Novice

May 28, 2002, 6:15 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Nico Can't Post

Blush My apologies Derrick for my rather hurried intro. Manyt thanks for the reply that you sent me. I'm residing in KL and the problem I have with lil' Nico is his shee-shee & pang sai habit.

I stayed alone in a apartment and when I leave my place for work, I would keep him in his kennel. I would feed him in the morning and he would do his business about 5 minutes later. From my weekend observation, he need not 'pang sai' in the afternoon but need to urine once he woke up from his afternoon nap. At night after the feeding, he would 'pang sai' and shee-shee again and the last shee-shee would be just before bed time. I would let him out from the kennel whenever I'm at home but he would still wants to go into his kennel for his business. I would love to let him out in the living area (leashed of course) when I leave for work but I don't know what to do as he only wants to do it in the kennel and I'm worried if I let him unleashed, he would start to chew my shoes, furniture or anything that he fancies but at the same time, I'm feeling guilty of leaving him in the kennel when I'm away especially now that his hair has grown longer, it would smeared with his urine collected from the tray in the kennel. I would appreciate advice from members who are staying alone and keeping pets in their home.

Crazy

May
Old Hand

May 28, 2002, 6:59 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sugar&spice] Nico [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the forum.

I'm having the same problem as you too. My pup tends to shee shee in her crate and sometimes she will also pang sai in the crate too if our house main door is closed. If not she will do it at the car park area.

I don't keep her in her crate. I let her loose in the house and only put her on leash when I take her out for a walk. The only thing is whenever she want to shee shee, she will quickly run into her crate and do it there. At first I was quite mad too but after sometimes, I guess it is ok as long as she didn't do it on our marble floor :-).

sugar&spice
Novice

May 29, 2002, 12:07 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Nico [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Many thanks for your opinion May. I thought I'm the only person who would let her pup do business in the crate. But still, I need to find a solution for my growing baby. Can't keep him in the crate forever since he's growing bigger and the hair is also growing longer and even now I noticed his lovely tail sometimes got smeared by the urine collected from the tray under the crate. I welcome all opinions from members.

SlyLaugh

May
Old Hand

May 29, 2002, 12:23 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1707 views)
Shortcut

You're welcome.

If you doesn't want her to do her business in her crate, maybe you could try this. Since you can predict her timing when she want to do her business, you just bring her to the place that you want her to do it. After she finish, give her a treat. Stick with the routine for a week or two and you can see the result.

tangyp
Novice

May 29, 2002, 3:44 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1695 views)
Shortcut

I leave my dog alone at home too and I let her loose and not crated. I've been lucky in that I managed to housetrain her in less than a week. Now she goes and does it in the toilet whenever she needs to. Then when I come home from work in the evening, I'll take her out for her walks, whenever I can. I leave her lots of toys to play with and she's not been bad yet in chewing up the stuff in my house.

If you're going to leave him alone in the house, you got to "puppy proof" your house first. Do not leave anything which might be tempting for him to chew. Also get down to his level and see what might be dangerous for him. They love to chew on electrical cords for one thing. Leather furniture is a favourite to puppies. They think it's just the world's biggest piece of rawhide providing them hours of chewy fun. And also remove anything breakable that you value from his reach.

Good luck with the housetraining. Smile

sugar&spice
Novice

May 29, 2002, 5:14 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tangyp] Nico [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Tangp,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'm a first time dog owner & more often than not, I'm a bit paranoid of leaving my lil' baby unleashed & roam freely like 'bo cheng hu' at home. Lil Nico is only 7 months and he's one very hyper pup. He loves to chew on my phone charger cord, the sofa, socks & whatever things that he could find lying on the floor. He loves to run around at home and at times I think he looks more like a 'mad dog' Sly jumping around!!

Living in the apartment make it a little difficult to leave him roaming free b'coz I would leave the balcony sliding door open for fresh air & I'm soooo worried that if I let this little fella unleashed, he might 'parachute' down from the 9th floor!! Am still looking to provide the best possible comfort to my lil' bundle of joyTongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my