Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
GR losing fur on his elbows

comet
Dog Kichi

Jul 3, 2003, 12:16 AM

Post #1 of 12 (1606 views)
Shortcut
GR losing fur on his elbows Can't Post

Hi I have a GR who's losing fur on his front legs...I dunno what tat spot is called but I'll casually call it the elbow area. Anyone has any recommendation or ointment for this? He loves to lie down where the sand n pebbles are in the garden. I think the friction is causing him to lose more :( I can practically see his skin... HELP!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 3, 2003, 8:18 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [comet] GR losing fur on his elbows [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

i think you shouldn't have to worry too much about it. some people call the spots as "pressure point". my GR has it too, as he always rests his elbows on the ground.

as for which oinment to use, sorry, can't help u there.

regards,
hunter

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jul 3, 2003, 4:45 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1599 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,
Trivor has it too. Not totally bald but the fur is lesser there. I bought her a rug to lie/ sleep on so to reduce the "tension".

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 3, 2003, 6:03 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1598 views)
Shortcut

It's normal for large breed dogs to loose their fur on the elbow. Particularly if the dog sleeps on hard tiles.

To avoid that, the dog should sleep in the cage, crage or something soft. But if have none of that choice, then the last thing you can do is massage the elbow with lotion ... (baby lotion also can) everyday and nite. The fur will grow back and the skin will be softer...

REgards,
swee Eng

comet
Dog Kichi

Jul 3, 2003, 7:32 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] GR losing fur on his elbows [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tips... But is it..baby lotion the oil type or the lotion lotion type? He has his crate but I don't cage him in so he's free to walk n sleep anywhere he wants. A friend of mine once told me not to let my dog sleep on any towel or anything cus his dog died from some skin disease. It seems that there were some kinda parasites hibernating in the towel (naked to the eye). Can this happen? Anyways side tracking... Ermm I'll go buy some lotion during lunch today... baby oil can?

Poor thing his elbow botak :((

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 3, 2003, 10:15 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1591 views)
Shortcut

Baby lotion .. .the lotion type. Well sometimes I use Savlon antiseptic cream too. It's still ok ...

Bout sleeping on the towel... I think if the towel is wash and put under the sun frequently, I don't think it's a problem but anyway, a crate is good enough. My lab will automatically go into her crate to sleep during the nite. But in the afternoon when it's hot, she'll find some place with more shade.

Regards,
Swee Eng

comet
Dog Kichi

Jul 4, 2003, 2:06 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1588 views)
Shortcut

thanks thanks.. yeah my GR goes into his crate too when its hot :) either that or he try to squeeze under the car hehhehe*
he oni sits on the ground in the evenings looking out at people n kids playing outside...

thanks for the lotion tips. I've got some at home... hope it works :)
whut if the coat don't grow back?? oh ohCrazy

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 4, 2003, 7:20 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Hey ... I don't guaratee the fur will grow back, lor ... But my lab's fur got grow back, la ... Hope it works as well for you...

Regards,
Swee Eng

comet
Dog Kichi

Jul 5, 2003, 4:41 AM

Post #9 of 12 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Thanks anyways :) hehehe*

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jul 5, 2003, 6:49 AM

Post #10 of 12 (1577 views)
Shortcut

The calluses is basically skin that has thicken due to high pressure. The only way to avoid this is to let your dog sleep on soft surface. To soften the skin, you can apply olive oil to that area and it may improve if your stop sleeping on hard surface.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

comet
Dog Kichi

Jul 15, 2003, 11:55 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] GR losing fur on his elbows [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tip and advice. Will try that olive oil thing. But at the mo. until my own house is ready unfortunately I can't have him roaming about the house. I'm staying with my parents and my mom freaks out with fur all over :)

So I guess olive oil will have to do for now.. Does it actually make fur grow back?? Or will it stay "botak" forever?

evebbykw
Novice

Jul 16, 2003, 7:35 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Ryan is more fortunate cos he can excess to every parts of the house, we even bought him two huge carpets so that he can rest and play with his favourite toys on it... So he dun have much problems on it cos he does not have much contact on the hard surface. What you can do, try to massage the area as much as you can. See whether it helps!
Attachments: R.1.jpg (40.5 KB)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my