Help from experts

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cris
Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2003, 7:51 PM

Post #1 of 28 (2476 views)
Shortcut
Help from experts Can't Post

Recently i made a jump (hurdle) for my dogs. My MS (male) is willing to jump over it but not the others. The others will walk round it to reach me. Can the experts give me some idea how to get them to jump? MY MS is willing to jump because i have been giving him lessons to jump through the ring (hula Hook). My other dogs are scare of Hola Hook as we used to use it to scare them. That is why i get the hurdle....but still they dont jump. I hope Arthur or Webmaster can help me..for i am sure they are more expert....hahahha

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 2, 2003, 11:18 PM

Post #2 of 28 (2468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cris] Help from experts [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you can hold some treats infront of your dog's face. Then after it jump, give the treat to him.

Not sure if it really works but it worked on my lab

Regards,
Swee Eng

cris
Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2003, 11:57 PM

Post #3 of 28 (2467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Help from experts [In reply to] Can't Post

oh i do hold some treats in my hand on the other side of the jumps....but the others just walk round it to reach me. Only the MS is willing to jump....smile

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 3, 2003, 3:02 AM

Post #4 of 28 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Hhmmpphh, lets see if I can contribute to this issue.. Jaz (my Aust. Silky Terrier) use to be terrified by the Holla Hops as well.... so what we did was try to let her 'walk through' it first... of course, this calls for patient and time spend with your dogs.. once they have overcome the fear of the round thingy.... it should be pretty alright.. never let the hop hit them or scares them.. let them get use to it.. then you can slowly raise the hop up the group and you will see them jumping non-stop. It's very effective when you are about to serve them dinner... as they will listen more attentively to you and will do as they are told.

Now, Jaz can jump back and forth the hulla hops as we count from one to ten.. once we reach ten, she will sit down and wait for her next command! if Jaz can do it, I am sure your dog will to!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 3, 2003, 7:02 AM

Post #5 of 28 (2457 views)
Shortcut

hi cris,

i might not be an expert.. but i hope to pitch in some methods which will hopefully help you out.

when u teach ur dog to do the hurdle, don't be too fast - or don't make it too high for them to jump (is your hurdle adjustable?). you could actually begin by laying the pole on the ground and let them walk over it, just to cut down the fear and let them get used to it. start by leashing your dog. have the dog by your side and walk alongside with him/her as she passes through the pole. as she walks over it, command : "over!" or whichever command u may prefer, and praise after that.

you don't have to go fast. just do it at a slow pace. after every "over" and you think she's good enough, gradually increase the height and i'm sure she'll be able to jump a hurdles easily. it takes time and patience.

hope this helps.

regards,
hunter

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 3, 2003, 5:29 PM

Post #6 of 28 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Forgot to tell you one thing.

You need to use the leash. And then make your dog walk close to u. When you reach the jump, you walk close to the equipment. Then your don't won't have any other choice but to jump over it, lor.

REgards,
Swee Eng

cris
Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2003, 5:41 PM

Post #7 of 28 (2448 views)
Shortcut

thanks Jaz, Hunter and Sweeeng

I will try it out tonight by using the leash to get them walk across the stick. Yes...my hurdle can be adjusted. out of 3 dogs...my MS is able to do the jump without any problems as he was trained earlier to jump through the hola hook, but sometimes instead of jump, he will squeeze in between the two sticks and walk over. So i think i will have to get something to block the place so that he cant squeeze through it...hahaha.

anyway, thanks very much for the help.

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 3, 2003, 6:28 PM

Post #8 of 28 (2445 views)
Shortcut

For my lab, actually I already saw her jumping over my garden fence. So I train her from there using the garden fencing. Haven't tried with the real thing. She might squeeze underneath like yours too... Wink

Regards,
Swee Eng

cris
Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2003, 8:07 PM

Post #9 of 28 (2437 views)
Shortcut

oh i can see my dog jump over my garden fence too.... sometimes i am so worry they might get cuts from jumping over the fencing. They all can jump to my sofa which to me is higher than the hurdle...so i dont see why they cant. Think maybe i must do as you said, get them on the leash and lead them to walk across it to get them to get use to the hurdle. as i said...my MS can jump on the lower level of the hurdle...but once i raised it...he squeeze in between instead of jumping. One day i must take a picture of him doing it.....real fun.

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 3, 2003, 10:13 PM

Post #10 of 28 (2434 views)
Shortcut

From what you say bout your dog, I can feel that they're very cute...

I hope it will work out for you but don't push you dog too hard, la ... Cos some are just not able to do it.

Regards,
Swee ENg

cris
Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2003, 11:32 PM

Post #11 of 28 (2430 views)
Shortcut

yes...i would say they are very cute. My silky terrier is more cute. Every morning when i come down, she will be there holding her cloth toy greeting me. Once i have done my work, and sit on the sofa, she will jump and sit next to me or on the handle of the sofa...with her head on my lap. She wont go out of the house unless i go out for she fears that i will leave her outside.

My MS is the worst...the most naughty one. He can just hop from sofa to the top and make a quick turn and hop down again. Gee...sometimes i really got headache with this one. Too active....that is why i decided to get the hurdle for him...to make him tired out.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 4, 2003, 3:48 AM

Post #12 of 28 (2425 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

Just to share, my silky terrier does that too!! they are really lovable and even when I read newspaper on the floor, she would come and either sit next to me (her paws must touch my toes, perhaps it gives her some sense of security) or she'll come and sit right at the centre of the newspaper for me to look at her! hahahha!!Laugh Every morning, she will also act like my alarm clock and I HAVE to give her a tummy scrub no matter what once I open my room door Sly

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 4, 2003, 5:32 PM

Post #13 of 28 (2416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Help from experts [In reply to] Can't Post

He...he.... They are really cute. Blush I think it all happens to small breed dogs. Cos my 3 small ones will do the same too.... When I read the papers, all 3 of them will sit on it. And many other things too...

REgards,
Swee Eng

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 4, 2003, 7:50 PM

Post #14 of 28 (2410 views)
Shortcut

Wow! How do you finish reading your newspaper if you have not one BUT THREE dogs all sitting on your newspaper! hahaahha!!! Tongue

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 5, 2003, 9:50 AM

Post #15 of 28 (2403 views)
Shortcut

hi,

hehe.. so if they sat on a puddle of water, that'll leave 3 little butt prints on your paper.. lol. that'd be nice!

my dog never does that :/ how i wish he'll leave a butt print on my paper one day. (seesh. i'm getting crazy)

regards,
hunter

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 5, 2003, 9:55 AM

Post #16 of 28 (2402 views)
Shortcut

hi,

about the dog squeezing through the poles, it often happens in small dogs. my advice would be to block the gaps for the time being. they can jump. it's just that they don't want to.

however, remember, start from low first, then slowly move higher. dun wanna give them hurdle phobia.

regards,
hunter

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 5, 2003, 5:14 PM

Post #17 of 28 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Help from experts [In reply to] Can't Post

he...he... then I have to carry one by one away and hold the newspaper high up.... Smile

Regards,
Swee ENg

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 11:15 PM

Post #18 of 28 (2358 views)
Shortcut

hi,

so cute larr ur little darlings.... my MS also jumps up n down the sofa.. he'll sit for awhile, then jumps around again.. so restless wan...but when he starts to spin round n round, i know he wanna pee liao... i think smaller breeds r just really cute la.

Tongue

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 29, 2003, 11:21 PM

Post #19 of 28 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Help from experts [In reply to] Can't Post

hi li ping...

heheee.. butt drawing eh?? maybe we could gather all doggies' butt/paw prints n make a guiness record painting or something??

wanna ask u hoh, if i train the dog to jump over the hurdle, they wont jump over the fence right? I have a low fence in the garden to keep harvey out of the pond, it's not very high.. just worried he'll be confused as to wat to jump, wat not to jump...Crazy

if i teach him consistently only to jump on command, will tat help?

Tongue

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 30, 2003, 12:07 AM

Post #20 of 28 (2353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Help from experts [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

yeah, sure. as long as u be consistent, then i suppose he'll wait for your commands before doing any jumps.. try to use one syllable command... like "jump" or "hup"... i regretted teaching my dog "over" for jumps, as he seem kinda confused now and then.

however, if got young pup it's not advisable to let them do jumps as it will affect bone development..

happy training :)

regards,
hunter

xyne
Doggyman

Jul 31, 2003, 11:52 PM

Post #21 of 28 (2333 views)
Shortcut

tx.. will try to teach him tat ...

why does he get confused over the command "over / jump"? Are these commands up to us to think up or is there already a standard set outlined...

i taught him "hand" initially.. n then realised it wasnt a hand.. heeeheeeeBlush.. and then asked for "paw-paw"..
dunno why, he got the change immediately.. it's not so much of the words is it? but the tone of the word maybe???

Smile

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 1, 2003, 1:05 AM

Post #22 of 28 (2327 views)
Shortcut

hi,

am not sure why did he get confused.. but in training it's often better to use words with one syllables.. perhaps they remember better with it.

lol, i think he got the change immediately as he looked at your body movement besides voice command... for example, you would raise your hand in front of him and give the "paw paw" command at the same time right? from the instance you raise your hand your dog already have an idea what will be expected... the command is to reinforce the idea, thus any word u give would't matter much.

erm, but for commands like jump... word commands should be clear, specific and easy to remember.

regards,
hunter

xyne
Doggyman

Aug 1, 2003, 8:43 PM

Post #23 of 28 (2315 views)
Shortcut

heeheee...sometimes i think he doesnt know for sure wat the commands r .. cos when he gets excited, he display ALL the stuff he knows all at once.. hoping either one will hit the mark.....

pandai pun... so at least i cant fail him for not trying.. hahaa

TongueTongue

mackmack
Doggyman

Aug 1, 2003, 10:34 PM

Post #24 of 28 (2314 views)
Shortcut

Yeah,

suppose knows how to do "sit-down-roll over". But when he eager for the treats from ppl other than me, he will bully them lar... do all at once!! so can quickly get the treat! U know... like the bum sitting in the air and turn a round with the head keep pointing at the direction fo the treat! u got what i mean???

jsut imagine that the 3 steps are done in ONE second.Cool (never sit, never lie down, not even ROLL over, but a BIG turn in the air and snap the treat away!)

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

xyne
Doggyman

Aug 5, 2003, 1:17 AM

Post #25 of 28 (2298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Help from experts [In reply to] Can't Post

haahaaahaaa....

harvey says *paws up! good work mack, way to go !!!!*
heeheeee....

LaughLaughWink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my