HELP WITH TWO YOUNG LABS

Groll
New User

Jun 28, 2003, 5:54 AM

Post #1 of 17 (2211 views)
Shortcut
HELP WITH TWO YOUNG LABS Can't Post

Hello,

My wife and I recently purchased two lovable puppy labs, (chocolate and black females) from a reputable, championship breeder. However, when purchasing books or reading on the Internet, we found that most dogs should be brought home around 8-9 weeks. Ours, however, were released at 6 weeks. It is this reason that we have been a little lenient with them, thinking they are too young to understand basic concepts as of yet. Are they too young to sleep through the night or learn new concepts?

Our concern is that the chocolate lab (Calle) often plays WAY too rough for the black lab (Coda). Coda was the runt of the litter, but is still not that much smaller than the others. The two puppies play with each other until one of them screams in pain over and over (both puppies will end up on top at different times). We try to break up the dogs, but within 5 minutes they are back together again, horseplaying around the living room. When we try to punish one for hurting the other, and comfort the one who got hurt, we are afraid we are making one dog shy and the other more agressive. Is this true?

Also, since the puppies are still very young, (7-weeks now) we are tolerant of a LOT of biting at our clothes and hands. We are constantly putting things in their mouths instead of our body parts, but they continuously drop the toys and run for us, very often breaking the skin. When we try to stop them, they are more interested in what the other dog is doing than what we just repremanded them for. How can we stop them from biting us?

Last question...we know we were crazy to buy two dogs, but does anyone out there have information on raising them both to be loveable dogs? When they are seperated, they are both adorable and licking instead of biting. However, we can't keep them seperated their entire lives. We have read that the dogs are going to 'arrive' with their own special bond without us and we have to earn their bond, but the dogs truly love us. They love our attention, but it doesn't compare to how much they love each other.

We have also read that they shouldn't sleep in the same crate together to break their 'bond', but my wife and I are up every night either letting them out to go the bathroom or comforting them from either wrestling in their crate too hard, or getting them to stop whining when we tried 2 nights to seperate them in different sleeping areas.

Are they too young for seperation, learning, or anything?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 28, 2003, 7:25 AM

Post #2 of 17 (2205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Groll] HELP WITH TWO YOUNG LABS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there GrollSmile

How long have you had your pups? Usually, i would have my new pup(s) comfortable with the house before I start any training. Bring em out to the garden,familiarize them with your compound. Once they're comfortable and playing,you're set and ready to start training.6 weeks is a little young,you might want to wait a couple more weeks.

It is obvious that Calle is more dominant than Coda. They most likely established this position when they were together with their litter mates. It is a good thing to let them play and not interfere,as long as there is no bloodshed. Eventhough one is screaming,this teaches them bite control. If one pup screams and the other one lets go,that's great.This will also apply to you. Try this when the pup is a little older. Let the pup bite your hand for a short while,then make noises as if your in pain like 'ow! ooouuuuchhh!'. If he learnt the bite control when he was younger,he should release your hand.

I don't think you should interfere their play unless you want to play with them. You should also supervise them eating when they're older(maybe now). When Calle(the more dominant one) has had her fill of food,she might go over to Coda to get his food. Try feeding them in different rooms where one can't get to the other's food.

As for biting your hands,well,it shows that they,like all pups are observant and smart. Why play with an unanimate object when you can play with a hand that can dodge and move unpredictably on its own?Wink Try using a cloth to cover your hands or give them more play/social time with you.They are maybe bored with their toys.You can also make their toys more interesting by smearing peanut butter on them Smile

It seems that when they are together they are hyper. Well,when you were a kid and you were with your best friend, you were more playful than you usually were,weren't you? CoolYou have a partner in crime which makes it so much fun. Another being can sometimes bring out the 'best' in another.

I'm not sure about the bond breaking thing.Sorry can't help you there.

But if you want your dogs to stop whining,just ignore them. Don't pay any attention to them. It will be hard for the first few days for both you and your pups but they WILL learn that whining won't get them what they want.

Bring them up equally. Train them to be well-mannered dogs,give plenty of exercise,play,take care of their health and socialize them well. Smile

I hope this helps. Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 28, 2003, 1:37 PM

Post #3 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Hi "Groll"~Smile

Can't give you any Pro feedbacks here. Anyway, it takes TIME & Patient ( alot!!!) to raise retriever pups, most likely will need 2 yrs for them to fully matured both the physical structure as well as thier personalities (temperament). Retriever pups are super hyper pups! biting is one of the growing process.

As what i've learned from the resources... the pup should be brought to new home in week 6 the best, else, week 8. But NO NO NO for week 7. When they are still that "little" like infants, they are growing by "weekly" progress. My GR was like... grow and act very differently, and suddenly learned new things...like all in terms of WEEK. Week 7 is like the pup's "transition" week that not good to move them from one place to another place, that week is hard for them to adapt to new environment. If bring home in week 7, they might show bad "emotion". that's what i've read from some GR books. Guess should be ok to apply on Labbies gua...

Knowing that you are a newbie to this forum,

Welcome here~!Wink Please stop by the Members Introduction Section and give us a brief intro of yourself and also for you to get know other members too~

Also, please please please, feel free to sign up our Just Retrievers list under the Gundog Section. The gang is growing bigger~!

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

Groll
New User

Jun 28, 2003, 7:18 PM

Post #4 of 17 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] HELP WITH TWO YOUNG LABS [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileThank you, your comments seem like they will work as long as we are patient.

One more thing, we are doing well in distracting them from hurting each other, however, what do we do when they try to bite us in retaliation? I know that they simply want to be together and don't mean to hurt us on purpose, but holding them on the back only makes them whine and twist...any ideas?

We will certainly check out the sections that you have mentioned in the previous post!Cool

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 29, 2003, 2:24 AM

Post #5 of 17 (2188 views)
Shortcut

YES, both TIME & patient are the key elements.

Honestly, I have my own tricks to stop my dogs biting meWink

Dare to try?Tongue

when he tried to bite on my hands/fingers, I'll STOP him by command for several attempts. If he still persist.... then mar... I'll take put his hand into his mouth, between the jaws, and SHUT the mouth!! till he shout out and feel the pain of being biten by himself. Then I'll say the words of "tong-tong (pain)","No ngau-ngau", or STOP, or LETGO and release him. Abusive??Crazy well~ I think it's fun to see how he realised what is so-called "pain". Heheheh....after few trials... he will learn the lesson, and also understood what does it mean when i say STOP & NO.

Anyway, it's quite effective on my dogs.WinkSmile

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 29, 2003, 6:34 AM

Post #6 of 17 (2184 views)
Shortcut

wah...now i know how abusive you can be lor. next time better not let Mocha go near you coz she always likes to gnaw at my hand can't imagine if u use this "tricks" on her ler...

cheers,
minglmy

mackmack
Doggyman

Jun 30, 2003, 1:25 AM

Post #7 of 17 (2174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] HELP WITH TWO YOUNG LABS [In reply to] Can't Post

Those were only happened when i was "yan-mou-hor-yan~"UnimpressedUnsure

Then once i tried, it worked!!! Anyway..... i will feel guilty and sayang him la.... Sometimes punishment would bring unexpected positive outcome, but can only try once and u'll know if it's effective, else, don't repeat it loh and try other GOOD ways.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 30, 2003, 2:24 AM

Post #8 of 17 (2171 views)
Shortcut

aiyoyo... being ur dog is like being a guinea pig only. Testing method with him all the time ! hehehe !

but what you says is true... sometimes we must be hard with them but not always lar. punishment must be carried out appropriately or else it will also bring the unexpected negative result.

cheers,
minglmy

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jun 30, 2003, 7:17 PM

Post #9 of 17 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Hi there...

I have 2 labs myself too ... yellow lab - winnie 16 months ... chocolate lab - labbie - 4 months.

The lab's attitude ... biting each other. Actually they're playing. And one will feel pain is b'cos their teeth are very sharp. But I think it's ok.

Taking your dog home at 6 weeks is ok, la .. I took Labbie home when she's 2 months. Can't afford to let her sleep outside cos Winnie was too rough. So had to put her with my maltese and shih tzu. I didn't put her in the crate or anything. They were all in the kitchen and Labbie was very quiet.

Just started putting her outside after her 3rd vaccination. Although Winnie is quite rough, sometimes Labbie makes Winnie cry too. That's b'cos Labbie's teeth is too sharp and injured Winnie. So right now ... Winnie doesn't look at her best anymore. Wounded here and there but I guess she will get well.

If one start getting very rough, I'll try pull them away and let them take a deep breath before letting them go again. I won't beat anyone of them cos I feel that they'll think that it's unfair. And ... they'll also think that what they are doing is wrong. So in future they may think that playing is wrong.

At the age around 4- 7 months when they're teething, better keep our plants high up or our clothes. They'll destroy everything. Honest!!!!

Anyway, if you need more experience of mine, my email is winnie_figinroc . You can also enquire from Saltiness ... she has 3 labs

Regards,
Swee Eng

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 1, 2003, 11:40 AM

Post #10 of 17 (2152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] HELP WITH TWO YOUNG LABS [In reply to] Can't Post

TongueThen if u knew how much attached to me and how well he could behave after my "training recipe".... means the secret methods work loh....

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 1, 2003, 11:43 AM

Post #11 of 17 (2151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] HELP WITH TWO YOUNG LABS [In reply to] Can't Post

Sweeeng, am totally agree with your ways to treat your labbies while they are biting each other. Especially you never bias on anyone of them.Wink

Sometimes jealousy will cause them fight too, which need to be avoided for not being bias.

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 1, 2003, 5:21 PM

Post #12 of 17 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mack mack,

You are right... You can say that again.... You know ... In my mom's house, there's 2 maltese and 2 shih tzu... all males ... belongs to my sisters and mom. They always fight and very jealous. I just don't understand why ... since they have different owners. So why like that?

I try to be fair. I hug one, I hug all ... Since I got Labbie, I think Winnie a bit jealous but I always talk to her ... so that she knows that I still love her... MY smaller dogs... no problem one ...

Regards,
Swee Eng

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 2, 2003, 12:01 PM

Post #13 of 17 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Yes,

i believe we could show our "unbias love" tru many different ways.... when we hug one more often, we shall talk to another one more often... the same amount of attention is there but the way to sayang them might be a bit different.

If i were the dogs (i always like to simulate~Tongue), i might think :"Okay.... mama hug him more, but i'm fine coz mama talk more to me. She still pay attention to me."

OR, "Okay.... she has the bone, I'm not going to fight with her, coz mama got me a KONG~." That somehow could balance their "emotion".

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 2, 2003, 6:53 PM

Post #14 of 17 (2130 views)
Shortcut

YOu're a very fair and nice mama of your dogs...

Regards,
Swee Eng

mackmack
Doggyman

Jul 2, 2003, 7:00 PM

Post #15 of 17 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Ooo....thanks for your compliment~!!

That was just my SIMULATION, i only keep one dog at one time, so to avoid being bias, but my uncle keeping 5, so i apply the "theory" to his dogs when i visit them (almost everyday when i was in KL coz we jsut stay opposite to each other).

and you too~ you are very FAIR mama too, if not, you won't be able to keep so many dogs... GR and ST....rite?

wkser
ALPHA

Jul 2, 2003, 7:11 PM

Post #16 of 17 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

congratulations,the very first day when you brought them home you should start to otoilet train then slowly proceed to basic training for example like sit and down,labbie is full of energy if you leave them alone (puppies) they will bite anything they can reach,i been through this stages with my Nous(lab),so training will drain out their energy and also bring them for walk after their three jabs vacinations,My exprience with lab is never stop training even a single day you will see the changesin them when they are well train and afetr they are four to five month you can start to them them to throw and retrieve they will enjoy it very much Wink in training you need lots of patience,happy training

regards

kangser and nous

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 2, 2003, 9:50 PM

Post #17 of 17 (2124 views)
Shortcut

Actually I've Labs, Shih Tzu & Maltese .. Blush

Guess we are getting out of topic

REgards,
Swee ENg

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my