View Results (315 votes)

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jun 27, 2003, 11:05 PM

Post #1 of 78 (47324 views)
Shortcut
Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? Can't Post

Tell us your view on the above.

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Jun 27, 2003, 11:09 PM)

doodle
ALPHA

Jun 27, 2003, 11:13 PM

Post #2 of 78 (47308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

i m not too sure whether which is the right way or which works better. But how come some people who don't hit their dogs are still able to train them.
Does those Australian that I saw hit their dogs too in order for them to sit quietly outside waiting for their ownder?
What about police force?
Just curious.

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 27, 2003, 11:26 PM

Post #3 of 78 (47302 views)
Shortcut

Frown well i don't think a physical punishment will ever let your dog to listen, i don't kinda agree in this kinda punishment cause i think this will only made my little mitcher goes scared of me and later not getting to learn anything ...

i myself think that there's alot of way in teaching a dog besides a punishment.... i think by giving punishment it always end up with a badly bruise dog and a very andgry / sad owner ... why not try other types of teaching ?

but i think every owner has a type of teaching for their dogs ... Smile

archer
K9 Senior

Jun 27, 2003, 11:35 PM

Post #4 of 78 (47301 views)
Shortcut

Deep down it's a "NO", reality it looks like "YES".

Thus I vote "NOT SURE".

Classic example, he just wouldn't stop no matter how many times u tell him / do watever to try to make him understand that it is wrong to do so. It doesn't work. a not too hard smack on the hind thighs sorta makes em understand. But wat do they understand?
  1. "YES"
    1. Do that and i get hit, n it hurts.
    2. Why did I just get hit? Better lay low for awhile.
  2. "NO"
    1. My masters do not like me to do that.
      1. I shall not do it.
      2. I'll think about it.
      3. I dun care.
    2. I know how to manipulate my masters.

I'm not doggy shrink but, that's how I (as a human) would think if an alein was my master.

drew
ALPHA

Jun 28, 2003, 1:38 AM

Post #5 of 78 (47285 views)
Shortcut

i'm not sure whether it's a yes or no but i think no matter what, everything needs some consequences and punishment towards it ... by telling them, they might think that no matter how big the mistake they did they are gonna get told off and that's it ... by having punishment, well at least they will know dat it's wrong to do so ...

well, hey, i think both has it's own good and it depends on individual the way they want to train their dogs and we can't tell them what not to do or what to do ...

makrawl
Canine Addict

Jun 28, 2003, 9:45 AM

Post #6 of 78 (47267 views)
Shortcut

i'm trying really hard to stop hitting their bum but sometimes i still lost control of my hands and "spontaneously" my hand whack on their bums. example. when they were chasing a poor tiny little animal and the animal hide under the racks and they won't ever listen to me and stay out while i rescue the poor creature. they nearer you go to the spot, the greater of their intention to get it. so, i hit and they ran right into their cage.

i've reduce a lot of the whacking thing compare to last time. but, i'm still using it sometimes. maybe i'm not experience enough to use the 100% physical punishement free methods (the books describe it as a quite easy thing but i don't think so). i'm trying hard to stop it but sometimes they just ignore u untill u whack (or raise hands) and then only they'll pay attention.

i don't know, i'm lost.

jay_owl

Jun 28, 2003, 6:21 PM

Post #7 of 78 (47254 views)
Shortcut

theoretically i don agree with physical punishment, but i must b ashamed of myself cos i use that when my dogs r not behaved. i hav two mongrels n being mongrels, the character is unpredictable and they hav weak concentration while u r trying to teach them something.

i've tried not to use the physical punishment nowadays, at least, less, now i just scared them with the whip. i hope one day i don need to use any of these thread to keep them in control. i will look into the clicker training later, i've heard of some positive feedback bout tht recently.

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 1, 2003, 12:52 AM

Post #8 of 78 (47212 views)
Shortcut

I think physical punishment will only make your dog get scare of you or make it more fierce ... encouragement is a much better way...

REgards,
Swee Eng

edser

Jul 3, 2003, 11:41 PM

Post #9 of 78 (47185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

usually we shout NO!! but if the mistake is big then have to beat already. Wink

carynn

Jul 17, 2003, 1:07 AM

Post #10 of 78 (47156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [edser] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nowadays...a warning in a"certain" tone is good enough and Harvey would know I mean business...

I know what u guys mean when u say there may be a danger of physical punishment back-firing in the sense that the dog will grow to hate u/frighten of u....

I'm usually the one reprimanding Harvey..telling him "no" to this and that..in other words, I'm like a "kill-joy"....so my boy likes Andy more coz he leaves all the "dirty work" of reprimanding to me and he looks like the GOOD guy...sigh....tough job being a mommy.....

doodle
ALPHA

Jul 21, 2003, 11:03 PM

Post #11 of 78 (47135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carynn] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, the poll has more YES than NO.
I guess most people agree on physical punishment on dogs work better for training.

Patricia

Jul 22, 2003, 7:29 AM

Post #12 of 78 (47127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm against physical punishment ! It is not necessary to punish your doggies just for the sake of getting them to obey. Just train them nicely by showing how to do it, talk and play with them frequently. Not forgetting, your furkids like to be praised. By doing this, your dogs will get very close to you. Dogs are our companion and best friends. So, why punish them ?

I found that the more you punish them, the more aggressive they are. Some dogs become very aggressive or angry when seeing people bringing with them a stick. Why ? Well, it is because somebody must had been beating him with a stick before.

Physical punishment is definitely not the way of bringing up a good dog. I train both my dogs with proper way but not beating. Well, to-date they carried themselves very well. I'm really proud of them.

doodle
ALPHA

Jul 22, 2003, 4:52 PM

Post #13 of 78 (47122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Patricia] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

So good to hear that your dogs are obedient.
I am having some trouble with doodle growing up. Very rebellious right now. No matter how loud I shout at him NO for pulling my pants. Still want to do it. When going near him or using hands to push him away, bite my hands instead.
But he is very afraid of a big board which we will take it out when he is very naughty.
I don't know what is wrong with him. Don't know playful or just rebellious.

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2003, 10:51 PM

Post #14 of 78 (47115 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mr. Koo,

I think minor punishment can really work bcos it warn the doggie that what they done r wrong, but i think if over beat the doggie then they'll loss their confidence n trust to the owner as well, they'll think this Human is the 1 beat them but will give them foods to eat, they'll no more appreciate n loyal to the owner.

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 23, 2003, 10:13 AM

Post #15 of 78 (47111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowflake] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

well...i settle for both "yes" and "no".
"yes"-minor physical punishment is essential for learning. you know,like how our parents hit us when we did something wrong...

"no"-if the physical punishment causes unbearable pain and injuries.

Patricia

Jul 29, 2003, 6:23 AM

Post #16 of 78 (47093 views)
Shortcut

How old is your dog right now ? Still a puppy ? If yes, then I believe he or she is playful then. My lab was also playful in his grown up stage then. However, I always ensure obedience training to come in at the same time. Do not play with your dog during training. Be firm to him or her. Always raise your voice so that your furkids know that they are under command. You are the master not them.

Well, this is the opinion that I can provide you as I'm still in the learning stage in obedience training.

Pat

Kowpa

Jul 29, 2003, 8:13 AM

Post #17 of 78 (47091 views)
Shortcut

In your post u write don't play with your dog during training and always raise your voice so that your fur friend know that they are under command which I don' quite agree

We have to play in between training this will motivate our furfriend that training is fun. In obedience training we must make the behaviour we want interesting to our fur friend. we must know our dog b4 we put him/her into training.In obedience training we must understand the teaching phrase, the correction phase and the proofing phase. We don't raise our voice for dog's ear are very sensitive than human We can't hear the drop of a needle but dog can so why raise your voice, dog can only differentiate the tone of voice so make your growling tone or your ooch tone when u dislike that behaviour the dog will know the good and the bad. The word Physical Punishment like kicking slapping kneeing other than a level of pop is a BIG NO

Patricia

Jul 30, 2003, 7:32 AM

Post #18 of 78 (47079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya, play in between training is important and praising them off and on is another tip again. When I said raise voice mean when giving command. Of course, I'm against physical punishment.

Well, I'm still in the stage of obedience training. Lots more to learn from those experience people like you.

Thanks

Kowpa

Jul 31, 2003, 8:48 AM

Post #19 of 78 (47056 views)
Shortcut

Hoi phang yeow No such thing like praising off and on Is either you praise the faith kind or you don't no off and on business lah PrAISE HIM/HER when they give u what u want and inreturn u give them what they deserve it. Giving the command by raising your voice is just like u do it or i'll kill u teaching this way slow down the learning process shouting to the dog is like threatening them thats how stress comes in to the dog and when stress the dog will be submissive or flight so be carefull lah......

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 1, 2003, 5:36 AM

Post #20 of 78 (47032 views)
Shortcut

But does it make any difference that basset hound is more difficult to train?
I mean.. any difference depends on the breed?
does it work for all sort of dogs?

Kowpa

Aug 3, 2003, 12:50 AM

Post #21 of 78 (47019 views)
Shortcut

Within the world of traditional, compulsion-based training, a myth has arisen that certain breeds are not trainable. Or that certain dogs require "a firm hand! I hear it over and over. "But my dog is different!" You're right. Your dog is different. He's different from evey other dog out there in any number of ways.

In the first place, different breeds were bred for entirely different things, and this mean that each breed come with its own set of training challenges. It's a lot easier to teach a Lab to retrieve than it is a Great Pyreness. Teaching tracking to a bloodhound is piece of cake, but this task is a bit more challenging when you're dealing with a Chihuahua

Some breeds were bred to work very closely with humans-herding breeds, some working breeds, sporting breeds. These dogs tend to excel at typical obedience behaviours. Other were bred to work completely independently or to do just one thing ( and do it very very well )-livestock guardian breeds, hounds, terriers. These dogs tend to be more difficult to train for obedience behaviours. A dog's breed or combination of breeds, will be one of the factors that determines what the dog learns easily and what he will learn slowly, what she will do simply for the joy of doing it and what she will do only on the basis of "what's in it for me?"

Now add to the equation the unique characteristics of individual dogs and their past experiences. Any breeder will tell you that two dogs of the same breed can be as different as night and day. There are Newfies who hate the water, Lab who don't like to retrieve and herding dogs who prefer the couch. There are hard dogs, soft dogs, fearful dogs, confident dogs, friendly dogs, and aloof dogs- and you can find individual of each kind within a single breed!

What does this mean to the trainer? It means that smart trainers learn everything they can about dogs in general, about specific breeds and most importantly, about a particular dog's history. This provides a background for identifying what the training challenges will be.

But it can be done. A challenge is just that. A challenge. Not an insurmountable obstacle. No dog is immune to the principles of learning. Barring a physical or psychological problem that prevents learning, your dog can be trained to do anything he or she is capable of doing.

doodle
ALPHA

Aug 3, 2003, 8:17 PM

Post #22 of 78 (47017 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the explaination, fellow friend.

That means doodle is capable of being trained. We have to know where to reach him only. He is very stubborn and has his mind of his own.

Anyway, I wonder how do you train a hound to do tracking? it will be so cool!Sly

pinky55poo
ALPHA

Aug 5, 2003, 12:04 AM

Post #23 of 78 (47009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [archer] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Give me a high 5, Jason. You hve some good reasoning here.

Sometimes its really hard not to physically punish our doggies. They don't 'learn the lesson' even if u raise your voice to the 'whole-street-can-hear level. We don't normally physically beat them, but threaten them wud be more accurate but then if they haven't tasted the 'physical punishment' they won't realise tht they've done something wrong & tht's why mommy or daddy is angry & is now brandishing the cane or newspaper or what hve you.

At times, u jst need to speak to them & it's like, wow they understood me. How clever!

In my most humble opinion, we do what we believe is the correct method for our doggies as long as it's not taken to the point of cruelty. Then there's a real cause to be alarmed or concerned.

Ultimately, we love our furkids & if they learn through non-physical punishment, then good for owner & furkid & we hope the time for the 'real thing' will not come.

Cheers!

p.s. aiyo, did I confuse everyone, hehehehe, scratching my head. BlushWink

Patricia

Aug 5, 2003, 6:17 AM

Post #24 of 78 (47006 views)
Shortcut

Hello

As I said several times, I'm still in the learning stage. So, your valuable input will be taken note.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 9, 2003, 2:26 AM

Post #25 of 78 (46986 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinky55poo] Physical Punishment, YES or NO ? [In reply to] Can't Post

But at times, since thier understanding would be different from human, we've got to educate them one way or the other, as long it's not to the degree of being abbusive... Unsure

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my