Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
hip and elbow dysplasia

Huntsman
New User

Nov 23, 2001, 7:48 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1712 views)
Shortcut
hip and elbow dysplasia Can't Post

Wish to find out if local Kennel Association MKA required breeding stocks of big dog such as GSD and others to be X-rayed for hip and elbow dysplasia. If there is not such practise, how can the local breed be improved ?

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 23, 2001, 1:38 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1707 views)
Shortcut
Re: hip and elbow dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr.Huntsman.
My name is Derrick Kok. I have been involved with breeding, showing and general activities of the since 1962. I think I am in a position to write you a book on hip&elbow dysplasia.You have posted a very valid question and I dare say that not many people could provide you with a sensible answer. I am not saying I could, but just have enough knowledge to keep the topic interesting.
Please introduce yourself, so that I know whom am I discussing with.
Regards.
Derrickok.

Huntsman
New User

Nov 23, 2001, 7:36 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Hello Derrickok,

I am presently staying in Kuantan and looking towards to own a GSD. Came across the hip dysplasia problem while researching for GSD.

Generally feeling is if no selective breeding is done on the part of the breeders or if there no control exercise by MKA, then future buyers of GSD and other big dogs may have to face with the dysplasia problem. That is bad for future dog owners.

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 23, 2001, 8:08 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Totally agreed with you Huntsman. I will get back to you later this evening as I am in the midst of something.
Huntsman is only an anonymous name I am sure, but I would appreciate it very much if I know whom am I talking to.
Please reveal your identity.
Regards.
Derrickok.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 27, 2001, 5:42 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1667 views)
Shortcut

The quality of the supplies will depend on the quality demanded by purchasers. Before you purchase your GSD, check with the breeder on the following :-

1) Check if they are aware of the hip dysplasia problem in GSd breed;

2) Ask them for their X-Ray records of their breeding stocks, or Sire and Dam of the puppy you wish to purchase;

3) Do they breed only after their breeding stocks are older than 2 years of age;

4) Are they able to offer guarantee of refund just in case the puppy you will be buying suffer from hip dysplasia at later part of their life

By asking a few questions listed above will help you to evaluate the quality of that breeder and help in your decision making process.

MKA will be able to provide you a list of GSD breeders in Malaysia. Call them and they will be glad to serve you.

Derrickok
Novice

Apr 2, 2002, 3:50 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] hip and elbow dysplasia [In reply to] Can't Post

On behalf of our Webmaster, I feel that this topic should be continued from here and also the following one which I have brought out.
If every new member comes into the forum and do not bother to use the search engine to find out if a topic had been discussed, we will end up like MAS
(MANA ADA SISTEM)Unimpressed or RTM (REHAT TUNGU MATI) Crazy

(This post was edited by Derrickok on Apr 2, 2002, 3:58 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my