IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Are boys really better than Girls ?

delithra

May 10, 2002, 5:22 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1794 views)
Shortcut
Are boys really better than Girls ? Can't Post

I have read that in the Golden Retriever pack, apparently the female rules the roost, and therefore can be more stubborn, independant and territorial. And Males, on the other hand, are more affectionate with their people. The site @ www.grr-tx/com/resources/boys_girls.htm states that boys are easier to train.

I have noticed that with dogs, the females will come to you for atention and then move away, whilst the males are always near you for much awaited attention (as proclaimed by the site)

Is this the case with other breeds as well ? what about the GSD's Leo? Are females better Guard/ Watch dogs ? Smile

leopui
K9 Maniac

May 10, 2002, 7:39 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [delithra] Are boys really better than Girls ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not sure on other breed and I can only speak from what I know about my current living experience with "mine's" type of working line GSD & "mine's" type of White Shepherd ...

Working line GSD ... [working line NOT show-line] The females are a little easier to live with as a housedog. Females never (or very seldom) get dominant. Females are usually easier for novice trainers and handlers to control. They usually want to please their handlers a little more. So if you have a spouse that is not keen on a big dog in the family, it is probably a better idea to go with a female over a male.

As a general rule males are tougher. If you need normal protection from a dog ... a female is just fine, they can be trained to bark at strangers. My feeling is that any intruder that comes into your home uninvited and comes through a barking German Shepherd is a very bad person that will need to be stopped by the police and or a gun.

As a general rule, males have a harder temperament than females. This means they can take a firmer correction without going down in drive.

White Shepherd ... Basic temperament [both male & female] is usually that of a very good-natured dog. They are loving and open dogs with family members but can be stand-offish or even somewhat leery of strangers, preferring the company of their own pack members.

According to the "un-written" breed standard ... the White Shepherd should never be aggressive! Therefore the breed, on the average, both gender is easily trained, inquisitive and definitely eager to please.

However, I have one White Shepherd female that is REALLY good to almost everyone she know, she would come near you and stay at anytime you wish!!!

With todays' handful of canine knowledge one can learn from other and with some breed study plus the puppy evaluation tips, I would say both gender have it own "pro" and "cons". It is very much depending on one individual liking to own whether a male or a female although I would "sometime" recommend the beginer to go for a female instead of a male especially they are plan to take the working GSD as their dog!!!

Last but not the least ... females do not lift their leg on the shrubs and flowerbeds in your yard Cool.

LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

(This post was edited by leopui on May 10, 2002, 7:44 AM)

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

May 27, 2002, 10:08 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [delithra] Are boys really better than Girls ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, it's hard to say which gender is more stubborn, independant and territorial etc. It depends on the dog itself. Like humans, every dog has it's own personality. Most of my dogs have been females, and everyone of them is different. My GSD was a sweet girl who got excited meeting people, but she was a bit aloof when it came to patting, hugging and all. On the other hand, my Dobermann is a bit more shy, but absolutely LOVES and craves attention and pats.

-= Tisha =-

delithra

May 28, 2002, 5:46 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Are boys really better than Girls ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info! From the golden retrievers I have seen, the males tend to be more 'energetic' and lick u all over, whereas the females, although friendly, are not as gregarious and loveable as the males. Apparently the GR breed is such that the females rule the roost, just like us humans baby!!!Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my