Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Dog's fifth finger!!!

annjou
K9 Maniac

Jun 26, 2003, 11:05 PM

Post #1 of 13 (613 views)
Shortcut
Dog's fifth finger!!! Can't Post

Crazyanyone here who DON'T know tat each dog hav 5 fingers (front paws)? and some even hav 5 toes as well (back paws).
from my recent visit to my vet, i was told tat one of his customer didn't notice tat his dog has an additional (the fifth) finger on the front pawsUnsure. soooo, he didn't trim tat finger nailsUnsure; end up those nails grow sooooo long tat it twisted into a cycle and poke into the legFrown. gradually, the dog's leg got infected and even hav worms inside the holeFrown. an operation is needed.
some dogs don't hav one bcos the breeder already cut it off when they are still small. these usually are pedigrees.
soooooo, guys, pleeeeaseeee check yor furballs and make sure you trim them as frequent as possible. (those nails grow faster than normal nails cos it didn't touch the floor and the dogs can't possibly trim it by themselves).

Riccaval
ALPHA

Jun 27, 2003, 12:55 AM

Post #2 of 13 (608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annjou] Dog's fifth finger!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi annjou,
I think what ur refering to is the dew claw.
We have a thread on this. Some breeders remove them when puppies are 3/4 days old. some just leave them be. But from your story its better to remove them .Cool

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 28, 2003, 1:02 AM

Post #3 of 13 (592 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaugh wow !! thanks for your information annjou... then i will have to check on mitcher boy and my future labbie first ... thanks ...

i didn't realised this was that important ... now i will think this when i cut their nails ... thanks ... Laugh

but it's so sad to hear that the dog has to go for an operation, but i do hope that the dog will get well soon ... Smile
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

annjou
K9 Maniac

Jun 28, 2003, 1:20 AM

Post #4 of 13 (588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yumiko_masaki] Dog's fifth finger!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laughglad tis info do u good.
no need 2 worry bout yor mitcher too much, hes 'botak', so can see very easily. Slyhehehehe... usually the long coat hav 2 b caution lar.Wink

Tongue i used 2 make it a practice 2 check all my friens dog pet whenever i met them. hehe.... still i realise a lot of them don't know about it.Frown

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 28, 2003, 1:43 AM

Post #5 of 13 (586 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaugh hihi ... you soo bad say mitcher boy is botak.... but i like the way he looks wat .. so clean and sooo cute in his way ...

but i still have to check on him cause i won't want anything bad to happen to him ... but it's true some of the things we least expected do happen ... why not a little more cautious ?

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2003, 2:18 AM

Post #6 of 13 (585 views)
Shortcut

I think lot of ppl really forget doggie having 5th finger at front, but i actually seen a puppy that 1 og her leg only hav 4 finger then the rest having 5, it's quite weird. But i didnt realize that if didnt cut of the 5th finger's nail will bring the suffer to the doggie. Thanks for telling us annjou

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

annjou
K9 Maniac

Jun 28, 2003, 4:51 AM

Post #7 of 13 (581 views)
Shortcut

heheTongue... sory eh. jut jokin.Sly i know bout pincher.i kept one b4.but she died cos of old ageFrown. tey look smartCool with teir shining coat. xspecialy when under the sun, wow.. really sparkle. dark. shinin. & teir ear. standing still. like antenna. hehehehe......LaughSlyTongue

annjou
K9 Maniac

Jun 28, 2003, 4:55 AM

Post #8 of 13 (581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowflake] Dog's fifth finger!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

ai! y so funny..Shocked only 3 fingers. wat happen 2 the last one?!CrazyUnsure

actually its ok not 2 cut it off, just tat we hav 2 make sure ttat tey r nicely trim. cut off very hurt lar.Frown some more i heard my friend said their fifth is their intelligent. wif tat fingers tey r more clever. dont know tru or not.LaughSlyWinkSmile

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 28, 2003, 5:37 PM

Post #9 of 13 (576 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaugh hahaha.. it's ok lar annjou,

yup, you're right, they do look smart in their way... they usually acts like clown in their own way and this has made me really laugh ....

i do like their shining coat, (geez... wish i can borrow from my mitcher boy ... Tongue) and their ear is really stunning .. hahaha like those alien antenna....

cheers to all minpins... Laugh

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2003, 7:11 PM

Post #10 of 13 (574 views)
Shortcut

Hi annjou,

When did i mention 3?.....CrazyCrazy, u might need to change ur monitor liao, hehe, jz kidding la. I agree that some ppl 'shorten' doggie tails bcos it's really look nicer for some breed, but to cut off the fifth finger... i.y.a.k.k..

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2003, 7:14 PM

Post #11 of 13 (572 views)
Shortcut

SlyHi yumiko,

Congratulation, our new pups are coming soon, mayb we can share experience in future, wonder when they are coming down? pls remind if i miss the msg. I can go pick them up if need transportation.

Sorry to talk others matters hereTongue jz too happy, lalalalalala....

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 28, 2003, 10:15 PM

Post #12 of 13 (569 views)
Shortcut

LaughLaughSmile hi snowflake,

it's ok ... i understabd.. i'm as happy as you are .... i;m so happy that our little babies can come down together and i bet they will love each other's companion, i think nathlie, will bring the pups down, actually for the flight for the pups to come should be RM100.00, but since they are bringingdown the pups, i think we could share by giving the money to nathalie, so each should be RM50.00, but if there's other people join us, then the cost should be reduced....

well if there's anything you want to ask me on how to buy things for the pups, you can e-mil me in this address : Cupid_Islan

i'm so happy for both of us... after so many posting, we have our dogs at last ..

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

annjou
K9 Maniac

Jun 29, 2003, 3:50 AM

Post #13 of 13 (564 views)
Shortcut

Unsureaiya, u got me rong lar. i dont mean 3 finger in 1 paw. i mean 3 dew clawsWink. aiyoyo...LaughWinkSmileTongueSly

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my