Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
any tricks for big and small size pup ?

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 24, 2003, 12:22 AM

Post #1 of 6 (717 views)
Shortcut
any tricks for big and small size pup ? Can't Post

hi i would like to know how to teach big and small size doggies some basic tricks ...

plz share some information ... Laugh
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 24, 2003, 6:22 AM

Post #2 of 6 (707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yumiko_masaki] any tricks for big and small size pup ? [In reply to] Can't Post

do a search on the word tricks and i'm sure you'll find lots of advise from all the previous post here. good luck ya !

cheers,
minglmy

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 24, 2003, 6:39 AM

Post #3 of 6 (707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yumiko_masaki] any tricks for big and small size pup ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi yumikoSmile

Have you taught Mitcher 'play dead'?

Or paw? How bout dance?

If you haven't here's how

For play dead, first Mitcher has to learn down. After that when you down him, just move him to a 'play dead' position..some ppl like their dogs on their sides,some like them on their back,with the belly facing up when they 'play dead'. Up to you. Then when he's in that position,hold him still for a *short* while and say the command,reprimand him if he tries to get up. Give him a treat once he has stayed still for a second or 2.Simple as that. As usual,repeat a few times.Over time,move your hand further and further till it's no longer needed to hold him still.After that,can increase the time of which he is in that position. Some dogs don't like to be on their backs,so don't force him if he really really struggle.For some fun,instead of saying you can use 'bang' while pointing a 'gun' at him. When saying 'bang' make sure not too say it loud or you might startle him.Say it like any other command.As with the hand signal,it'll be a little difficult..one hand holding the dog..one hand showing the signal.

For 'paw'(can change the command to something like high five..up to u)

First off,leash him up.Tie him somewhere.Where the leash ends,just stand a about 10 cm away from,just enough so that only his paw can touch your hand and his mouth can't. Put a treat on your hand. Most of the time,if a dog can't get something with his mouth,he'll use his paw. When he does this,hold his hand and say the command and give him loads of praise and the treat.If he doesn't,help him. Lift his paw and put it on your hand,then praise him.

Dance,this should be easy for a min pin since he's light

Put Mitcher in a sit position. Then put a treat above his head,abt 1-2 ft should suffice. Try to make your hand the main attraction,not the treat. Encourage him by moving the treat further from him. As soon as he's on his two legs,praise him and give him the treat.After some repetitions,try using only your palm without the treat. Only after the trtick is completed,take the treat from its hiding place(ie. pocket) and give it to him. You can also extend the time of which he is on his 2 legs.

The key is not to make the treat invisible (This applies for ALL tricks/commands even ones which are not mentioned).For something more challenging,after he has master that,make him 'dance' in a circle. Same thing just move the treat in a circular motion.

As with all trainers..have to be patient. Once Mitcher has lost interest,don't force him anymore.It'll just frustrate him and you.Short sessions everyday should be enough.I think abt 10 repetitions? It depends on an individual's attention span.

Hope you have fun teaching Mitcher. Smile Good luck

I'm not sure if these methods apply to Mitcher,but most dogs are trained this way and it worked for Silky.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 24, 2003, 4:21 PM

Post #4 of 6 (701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] any tricks for big and small size pup ? [In reply to] Can't Post

haahaaa~ this is fun! I'll tecah Trivor "play dead" right away! SHe knows high-5, hi, row over, down... but not yet "play dead"... this will be very fun! thanks~

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 24, 2003, 10:13 PM

Post #5 of 6 (692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] any tricks for big and small size pup ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your welcome..How did you teach Trivor how to roll over??Can share? Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 24, 2003, 11:19 PM

Post #6 of 6 (687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] any tricks for big and small size pup ? [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaugh yaya !! thanks for everything ...

i'll check for the info on tricks .. Laugh
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my