Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Doggy Depression

qtee0351
Novice

Jun 22, 2003, 10:44 PM

Post #1 of 13 (1988 views)
Shortcut
Doggy Depression Can't Post

Unsure I think my dogs deppressed. I have a male pomeranian who's 8 months old. We live in an apartment with my roommate who's also got a 8 mo. old male pom. The two used to get along great. Well I took my dog to my mom's house for three weeks. Her house is huge, and she has a huge yard for him to play in. He just loves it up there. This vacation for him was only temporary, while i went out of town. When i brought him back. He ran under my bed and stood there the whole day. He seemed very sad, and almost sick. He wouldn't play with the other dog. He would just sleep. He even had diarrehea. I thought he might have gotten sick. But when we went bact to visit my mom. He was very normal and playful there. When we came home, he was depressed again. He's not at all friendly with his old buddy, and seems miserable here with me. What should I do. Does my dog hate me and my little house!!!!! Please is this normal

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 23, 2003, 6:56 PM

Post #2 of 13 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [qtee0351] Doggy Depression [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello there,
From your describtion, your dog seems to be prefer a larger space? Why don't you bring him and his friend to playground or evening walk. I'm sure they enjoy and anticipate the next activities. 2nd option, bring to vet and see if he needs therapy. Not surprise dog has depression/ anxiety like human does...
Trivor became destructive when we didn't bring her to walk-walk or run in playground. She had her spayed operation last 2 weeks and we refrained her from activities for 2 weeks. She became destructive and very naughty Crazy We started her evening walk yesterday, she seems happy and polite today. hmmm... Tongue

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jun 30, 2003, 8:59 PM

Post #3 of 13 (1958 views)
Shortcut

Hi there...

In the first place I think you should have told your dog that he'll be there only temporary and will bring him back to play with his friend.

Your dog's attitude now could be that he thought you've already sold him to your parent. And he's happy to be there. Maybe he enjoys the attention that he's getting

REgards,
Swee ENg

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Jul 18, 2003, 9:52 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1941 views)
Shortcut

Hi

Hope your dog is over his depression by now. I think your dog just had a nice holiday at your parents and is suffering a bit of post-holiday blues. My Niles was the same for a couple of days after he returned from three weeks boarding, back to our boring flat. I think the main thing is to take him out a bit; I walk my dogs about 3 times a day so they get to sniff and smell and see more than just the four walls at home. If it happens again perhaps you could try playing with him a bit more or find him some new toys, give him a bone ... do something to keep him occupied so he doesn't feel so bored after all the stimulation at your parents.

Dorothy

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 21, 2003, 8:00 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Wow.. seems to be very playful and emotion ya... maybe he wants a bigger space to run about.. never did come across this problem.. my dog is abit opp.. doens't like going out... get very excited when he gets home.. even though it's a small apartment, but she likes it home better....

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2003, 9:28 PM

Post #6 of 13 (1927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Doggy Depression [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,
your dog really like your home. well if i take mine on a car journey he feel nervous
>Thomas<

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 21, 2003, 9:41 PM

Post #7 of 13 (1925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zack] Doggy Depression [In reply to] Can't Post

HHAHAH! when Jaz was a puppy, I took her out to get her second jab, she got car sick and threw up all over me when we go to the vet!!! wah lau... she wasn't use to car rides.. but now.. she loves the air con!! even when we drove all the way to Ipoh for show, she was still alright.. it's just a matter of getting use to it.

However, she loves her own home toilet so much.. she doesn't pee or poo at all once she's out the house.. she'll 'tahan' all the way home man!! SmileSmile

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2003, 9:49 PM

Post #8 of 13 (1922 views)
Shortcut

wow, that's pretty impressive to tahan all the way even human oso hard to tahan. did u train him to do that? what kind of breed u're keeping?
>Thomas<

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 21, 2003, 10:04 PM

Post #9 of 13 (1917 views)
Shortcut

Well, actually no, we never traied Jaz up to be that way... it gets me quite worried at times you know.. Jaz is an Australian Silky Terrier... when ever she comes home, she'll be very excited and always the first one to rush out the lift to our front door, once the door is opened, she will dash in to her toilet and take a pee and drink water.. Smile

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2003, 10:10 PM

Post #10 of 13 (1916 views)
Shortcut

how old is she now? at what age she started to pee in the bathroom, aren't u're worry that she might distroy your property?
>Thomas<

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 21, 2003, 10:15 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1915 views)
Shortcut

She's about 1.5 years old now.. Oh, she started doing her business at the toilet when she was young.. toilet train in a way.. Distroy my property?? How??? she's suppose to go to the toilet to do her business mar.. how can that distroy???!!!

zack
Dog Kichi

Jul 21, 2003, 10:22 PM

Post #12 of 13 (1914 views)
Shortcut

what i meant was did she chew up your property when she was a pup?
>Thomas<

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 21, 2003, 10:25 PM

Post #13 of 13 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Got ler.. which dog doesn't chew.. don't know how many pairs of shoes I had 'sacrifice' thanks to Jaz... and also carpet.... but we gave her alot of those 'bones' for her to chew around with.. it's all over the floor, my room, kitchen, living room.. it's everywhere.. for her convenince sake Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my