Refusing Food From Strangers

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 21, 2003, 6:09 AM

Post #1 of 20 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Refusing Food From Strangers Can't Post

Hi there everyoneSmile

Can anyone here share their ways of training a dog to refuse treats/food from strangers?

I'm afraid that my puppy will eat poisoned food from robbers.

ThanksSmile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 21, 2003, 11:21 PM

Post #2 of 20 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] Refusing Food From Strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

hello there,

i was once told before to train your dog to refuse treats from strangers, whenever u give your dog treats, put it into his bowl first and let him eat from the bowl.

also u can use left hand to give the treats instead of right hand... (based on the concept that most people might give the treats using their right hand)

i don't know whether these ways would work, i personally think that if the food is yummy the dog will definitely hentam it anyway, especially those food crazy dogs....

regards,
hunter

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 22, 2003, 2:49 AM

Post #3 of 20 (1647 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Refusing Food From Strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

Die lerh...than my dogs are hopeless liow...Unsure

They're die hard fans of food...
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

poor_me
Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2003, 11:10 AM

Post #4 of 20 (1645 views)
Shortcut

My Lil' Monster takes food from anyone. Greedy fella. Would be nice to train it to eat only from the daddies and mummies or bowl but that would present a problem when u r not around to feed it personally (like a trip for both papa and mama).

Also, if the robber is that desperate as to use poison on a dog, it might not be the only means he will use to bypass your dog. Simply said there are more violent methods they can employ.

Regards,
Alan
-- just my 2 cents worth.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 22, 2003, 5:19 PM

Post #5 of 20 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [poor_me] Refusing Food From Strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there Alan,

What you said is true. But I do not worry about external injury as much as internal ones. External wounds can heal faster than internal ones although both are life threatening and worry me much. Unsure

*sigh* Why are doggies so food minded......
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 23, 2003, 5:52 AM

Post #6 of 20 (1640 views)
Shortcut

hello there,

external injuries could be similarly as serious as internal ones... from chloroform to knifes... people could get really cruel when they're desperate.

btw, i am fortunate as my dog refuses food from strangers. he wasn't trained for it or watsoever, just that he's not the food-crazy type. (hence he missed all the generous doggie treats and cakes offer at all the puppy.com gathering :/ silly fella.)

hey, food minded is not a bad thing, in fact, it's an advantage for dog training... they'll do anything for a little biscuit out from your hand :) !

(btw, heard that padang merbuk class is postponed earlier to saturday due to confirmation show.. dunno true o not. should check out agility ! )

regards,
hunter

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 23, 2003, 7:32 AM

Post #7 of 20 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hunter

I called MKA earlier this week. They said the class is full and the next intake is in 2 mths time which is too near my PMR Unsure...

So instead of next Sunday,it'll be on Sat?

I don't know about being food minded is a positive thing. My dogs have a problem with weight losing Unsure Tried the kibble for losing weight..didn't like it very much. Now giving less food and increasing exercise..for the past month and a half. No difference so far. Too 'wai sek' already..

It's abit troublesome when I'm out with my dogs, I give them a command and they expect a treat. I give them loads of praise but after 3-4 times, they know they're not gonna get any treats..so lil stubborn with the commandsUnsure

You're really lucky that Hunter is born with that...habit?
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 23, 2003, 9:24 AM

Post #8 of 20 (1636 views)
Shortcut

hello there,

u mean the class is full for agility or obedience? if it's agility - gaa! i've been skipping 2 lessons now, and has been pretty outdated about the latest MKA news...

i *think* so. that's what my trainer told me today. because next week there's a dog show in ipoh on sunday. so the classes were brought forward to saturday instead...

aah. slimming your dogs down is not an easy task. you'll just have to be patient (and keep fit with them.. 1-2, 1-2... hu hu hu) and as for them expecting a treat from you, you should be more stern to them from now on, let them know who's boss. if they already know the commands it isn't necessary to give them treats everytime. maybe sometimes you give, sometimes you don't - if not they'll anticipate a treat, as u said, after every command given (and grow fat.)

well, it's not his habit i guess. Maybe "nature" should be more appropriate word... his nature is to eat less food and watch me beg him to eat >:( .

regards,
hunter

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 23, 2003, 5:12 PM

Post #9 of 20 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Hello Li Ping,
wowww, amazing!! You mean your golden doesn't take food from strangers? My golden is a greedy fellow. Whoever gives food, she will follow. She likes to stay in kitchen, waiting some1 accidentally leave their food and she will "sapu". I have to use baby gate to restraint her from going to kitchen...
She will do ANYTHING for food Crazy

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 23, 2003, 5:57 PM

Post #10 of 20 (1630 views)
Shortcut

the agility class is full..Unsure

Yea,I should be..but I'm training a bullmastiff pup...known to be a slightly stubborn breed..so far doing well but need the treatsUnsure

Beg him to eat? Wow..that bad??

I think Tyson's philosphy "He who has food,shall command me" Unsure
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 24, 2003, 12:43 AM

Post #11 of 20 (1623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trivor] Refusing Food From Strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

yeah, my silly boy doesn't take food from strangers... it was what i've learnt after taking him to puppy.com gatherings. but don't know what'll happen if people throw food to him while he's at home.

wow, your goldie is like vacuum, hehe.. good la, dun have to clean up any mess...

anyway, will do anything for food ain't a bad thing. as i said at earlier posts, training is made easier, hehe.. b'sides, i enjoy watching dogs looking at you with that serious expression with a paw up (or any other begging methods). it's kinda cute don't u think ? :D

my dog will sit straight, hang on a silly look and wave so high to me before i give him yummy treats :) (the photo under my username is his "treat-begging expression)

regards,
hunter

shyeow2
Canine Addict

Jun 27, 2003, 10:45 PM

Post #12 of 20 (1603 views)
Shortcut

May be you can try to train the 'leave it' command?

This might sounds bit cruel but is what I know the police they used the Electric collar/ trainning collar for this lesson. If the dog take food on the floor any circumstance that not given by the owner they will give them a level of stimulation and shout : No, leave it!

This work best if the dog doesnt notice you are watching them. Increase the time of stimulation til the dog know that is bad taking food not giving by you.

Once the dog notice the treat that you put on the floor and he IGNORE it then bring him in and feed him, praise him. Hope can help.
Frown Frown Visit My Blogs!! http://peonythestormrider.blogspot.com/
http://jojothemalaysianmongrel.blogspot.comFrownFrown

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 28, 2003, 6:22 AM

Post #13 of 20 (1598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shyeow2] Refusing Food From Strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

I have taught both my dogs the leave it command already.

The only thing is that I have to be there to give them the command or else they won't leave it..Unsure

Hmm..do you know any other methods of 'stimulation' besides that?

Another problem I have is that I don't have friends or other strangers who aree free enough to help me train them.Unsure

Thanks very much for your thoughts Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 1, 2003, 4:55 AM

Post #14 of 20 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, Jazz don't take food from strangers as well. She doesn't even eat once she's out from the house.. well, she doesn't even poo or pee when she's out, so imagine during the Ipoh show, she didn't take a pee or poo for the whole day!! gosh, kesian her man...

But recently me and Eve found out that she won't take anything except Doggyman!!! she would actually eat them (found out during show) and it became a very good bait to get her to stack! ahhaha

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 1, 2003, 6:20 AM

Post #15 of 20 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Refusing Food From Strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

hello,

don't eat is one thing.. but not pee and poo? that's kinda.. uhh... convenient??? heh heh. sometimes i do hope my dog doesn't pee/poo so much when he's outside. but she must have a really strong mind to tahan that long....

what's a Doggyman? izzit some biscuits kind of thing? maybe i could get one for my silly boy too

regards,
hunter

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 2, 2003, 2:39 AM

Post #16 of 20 (1567 views)
Shortcut

Yeah.. come to think of it, really convenient huh? but pity that fella lar.. tahan for so long.. during dog show. I tried taking out newspaper and taking her out to pee.. wah lau, stand under the sun for about 20 mins, she just sit there and stare at me! hahahhah!! gave up... even when she was there in Ipoh for the whole day, she didn't take a poo or pee at all! amazing huh! hahahah..

Doggyman is a dog snack... something like dried jelly fish I supoose, dogs are going crazy on this snack. I just went to Mid-Valley's pet shop and there are a few types there, you can go check it out.

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 2, 2003, 8:06 AM

Post #17 of 20 (1561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Refusing Food From Strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

yeah, it's kinda hard on her to tahan so long - not very healthy either. maybe she prefer doing it at home sweet home, heehee..

(ps:not peeing pooping whole day= a.m.a.z.i.n.g!)

ooh. thanks for the info. will go look for a doggyman soon. hopefully it's cheap.

regards,
hunter

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 2, 2003, 6:11 PM

Post #18 of 20 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, it gets me kinda worried whenever we go out, I would quickly ask to take her home quickly... once she's home, she'll rush to the toilet before anyone of us can reach it and take a pee! hahahahah!! Even when I was in KL for business trip, I would call Lulugurl to check if she has taken Jazz out from the competition ring to go wee wee Sly... Whole day man...

kimia_girl
Dog Kichi

Aug 14, 2003, 5:09 AM

Post #19 of 20 (1509 views)
Shortcut

hi there ...

li ping u think is it possible if i send my dog to ur house ..ask ur golden train my terrier ..Unsure

moon cake festival is around the corner ...my little girl at home is crazy over mooncake ..she chase whoever have mooncake on their hands...god....Crazy i really dunno wat to do...my mummy n daddy have to run around the house b4 they can enjoy a small piece of mooncake... coz my little girl will be chasing behind them till she got the moon cake...

this nv happen b4..till moon cake is on the market...Unsure

(This post was edited by kimia_girl on Aug 14, 2003, 5:40 AM)

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2003, 9:43 AM

Post #20 of 20 (1502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kimia_girl] Refusing Food From Strangers [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

lol, it's really nothing much to worry about if ur dog is crazy over moon cakes... i mean i'm crazy over mooncakes myself :/

anyway, ur little girl is probably gave titbits often, hence she follows whoever who has food around.. not only mooncakes. next time if she tails behind when you're having food, say NO, and ignore her. soon i guess she'll get the idea.

regards,
hunter

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my