Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Harness vs Leash

ginl
ALPHA

May 1, 2002, 4:31 AM

Post #1 of 13 (4213 views)
Shortcut
Harness vs Leash Can't Post

Has anyone ever used a harness instead of leash when walking your dog? Which one is better? Do you hv more overall control over your dog when you use a harness?

zitian

May 1, 2002, 4:53 AM

Post #2 of 13 (4210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Harness vs Leash [In reply to] Can't Post

choke chain..i think harness would be good for JRT...but for boxer..definitely choke chain..or else i ant control him...Pirate

Derrickok
Novice

May 1, 2002, 5:04 AM

Post #3 of 13 (4209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Harness vs Leash [In reply to] Can't Post

A leash could always be used to hang yourself if you are fed up with this world. Where as a harness can be used as a safety net if you feel that you are falling apart.

ginl
ALPHA

May 1, 2002, 5:38 AM

Post #4 of 13 (4206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zitian] Harness vs Collar [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to say collar....leash is a must of course lol

Some ppl say a harness is a more humane way to control your dog if your dog pulls or drags behind rather than yanking his neck using a collar.....I'm using a collar and sometimes he refuses to take another step and I'd hv to drag him but I don't dare to do it so hard....was just wondering if a harness might help in situations like these

(This post was edited by ginl on May 1, 2002, 5:47 AM)

leopui
K9 Maniac

May 1, 2002, 5:51 AM

Post #5 of 13 (4201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Harness vs Collar [In reply to] Can't Post

To my understanding, if you are just walking your dog, a collar or choke chain will do fine.

Harness is used more often when the dog is going training on Protection work / bite work. This is to protect their neck in case of accident. Some dog doesn't go all-out because of choke chain or a collar as it stop them to move forward but harness have being design to suit this type of training purpose.
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

zitian

May 1, 2002, 5:57 AM

Post #6 of 13 (4199 views)
Shortcut

harness definitely for well trained dogs..my dog will still pull with choke chain...i cant imagine with harness...

leopui
K9 Maniac

May 1, 2002, 6:06 AM

Post #7 of 13 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Zitan, If your boxer is obedience trained, he should learn fast and would behave well. Forget about the harness since you are on choke chain, try the prong collar for correction and you would see the result.

Prong collar is to be use for CORRECTION not for punishment!!!
LEO PUI

Derrickok
Novice

May 1, 2002, 6:13 AM

Post #8 of 13 (4194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Harness vs Collar [In reply to] Can't Post

You saddist!! Fancy telling people to use prong collar. Put it around your P..... fill in the blanks.

zitian

May 1, 2002, 6:14 AM

Post #9 of 13 (4194 views)
Shortcut

i will send him to obedience class later this year...but prong collar..hmm..i never use that b4...i dun think i will use it when i walk the dog..perhaps when training time..i could find 1 here anyway...i read some articles bout prong collar and they says it's better than choke chain..

leopui
K9 Maniac

May 1, 2002, 6:46 AM

Post #10 of 13 (4192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Harness vs Collar [In reply to] Can't Post

As I mentioned ... Prong collar is to be use for CORRECTION not for punishment!!! ... Once does required to learn and understand how it work before using it.

There are bad impression about the used of Prong Collar just because of one group of un-professional trainer ... it is almost the same case like we have mis-understood over the Pit Bull Terrier for they are the fear biter until we can see more and more positive result and "prove" facts.

One thing I do know about my "Cinta", even though she is only 4 months old, when I started obedenice training about two weeks ago, I noticed she was extremely willing to please, but could not take a correction. So I am using a prong collar (place the rubber tip on teh pinch, it gives me quick results when used properly).

It has made training her easier because I only have to correct her with the collar once or twice and she gets the idea of what I am teaching her. I prefer a dog who will listen the first time, and be tough when they have to.

The proper use of Prong Collar is very much depending on one owner or the handler. I am just not good enough to put my word in writing. Anyway, that my point of view on Prong Collar and it have work well on me MUCH better than choke chain.
LEO PUI

(This post was edited by leopui on May 1, 2002, 7:10 AM)

leopui
K9 Maniac

May 1, 2002, 6:52 AM

Post #11 of 13 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Just do some study to whatsoever is new before you use it. Anyway, the use of prong collar has work fine to me!!!
LEO PUI

ginl
ALPHA

May 1, 2002, 7:52 PM

Post #12 of 13 (4181 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Leopui....so walking no need to use harness huh....hokay

leopui
K9 Maniac

May 1, 2002, 8:18 PM

Post #13 of 13 (4179 views)
Shortcut

Well, suit your individual requirement ... please don't mark my word since it was my level understanding ... and all post I have made purely is from my point of view and from the living experience only Cool .
LEO PUI

(This post was edited by leopui on May 1, 2002, 8:23 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my