Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Disobedient Dog

TOKEN
New User

Sep 9, 2010, 6:22 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Disobedient Dog Can't Post

We have a 2 and a half year old golden retriever who is wonderful, and while out and about does exactly what he is told. How ever , introduce another dog and he goes deaf and does exactly what he wants.

When he does eventually come back, he slinks towards us, knowing he has done wrong. We don't physically punish him because it sends a mixed message and will get confused as to what he is being punished for, besides he's too cute to hit!!!!

Any sensible advice welcome

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Sep 9, 2010, 7:10 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TOKEN] Disobedient Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

No off-lead free time until he has 100% recall.

Put him on a long washing line & let it trail & practice everywhere you go, by stepping on the line nearest to you (you now have control) then calling him & reeling him to you, praise, then tell him "free" again. Try to do this without distractions (other dogs about) & get it 100% before trying it with dogs about & don't praise him until you have him IN YOUR HANDS as many people praise their dog while they are still running towards them & they then turn & go the other way as praise to a dog means "exercise finished". So be careful not to tell him that 'come' means half way not all the way back to you.

You are correct about not telling him off when he does come back, the only thing he will know if when he comes to you he gets in trouble so he will take longer to come next time...nor does he know "he slinks towards us, knowing he has done wrong". He slinks back because he sees from your body language & your demeanor you are upset. He doesn't know why & is behaving submissively & slowing down which are dog body language signs for calming you down.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Sep 9, 2010, 7:13 AM)

TOKEN
New User

Sep 11, 2010, 1:36 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Disobedient Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi GoldenAddict,

Thank you for the wonderful advice and training tips. Me and my Golden Retriever, Max have our training at Ampang every Sunday with the 'puppy group' people, and I enrolled him in basic obedience about four weeks ago. Tomorrow will be his fifth class.

Max gets extremely excited when he sees other dogs, and I always have such a hard time keeping him under control. I only let him off the lead a couple of times but the rest of the time he's kept on lead. Don't want him running around the training field too much like a hooligan, and causing havoc.

Our trainer advised me to get him a choke chain but I have been quite hesitant to get one as I do not want to hurt him with it. I am still thinking whether I should get one for him or not.

How do you actually use one, and what are the benefits and disadvantages of choke chains?

Looking forward to your reply.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Sep 11, 2010, 5:24 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TOKEN] Disobedient Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

I've used a choke collar for training as early as 12 weeks, for years. Since you have a trainer, it's better if you let them SHOW you how to use one. There is a right & wrong way. If you put it on wrong, the collar will not snap & release. It will only tighten on the dogs neck & won't release with the jerking correction. You may even want to discuss using a prong collar on your dog.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my