Home: General: Chit Chat:
TEACUP poodle lifespan????

teohtekwoei
New User

Jun 2, 2010, 7:19 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3591 views)
Shortcut
TEACUP poodle lifespan???? Can't Post

recently i heard ppl said tat teacup poodle will hav shorter lifespan thn other type poodle???izit true???can sum1 provide me the correct info?thanks.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jun 2, 2010, 8:53 PM

Post #2 of 5 (3579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [teohtekwoei] TEACUP poodle lifespan???? [In reply to] Can't Post

On average, yes. They are more prone to health complications that shorten life expectancy. You do know that there's no such thing as "teacup" anything, right? They're just runts bred to runts...something these breeders won't tell you. A healthy Toy Poodle is something like under 10 inches at the shoulder. That is pretty darn small. Why badly breed one to be even smaller?

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Jun 2, 2010, 9:06 PM)

Fred2'O
Novice

Jun 3, 2010, 8:29 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] TEACUP poodle lifespan???? [In reply to] Can't Post

How did smaller dogs develop if not from selective breeding of smaller animals?

Yes teacup dogs are not the way to go, what i am wondering is how do we know the limit for how small is unhealthy for dogs?

R'gards
Freddy Oh

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Jun 3, 2010, 10:11 PM

Post #4 of 5 (3556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fred2'O] TEACUP poodle lifespan???? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Fred2'O,

It's not even so much the size but the way those sizes are obtained & bred for. Not only are runts bred together to make smaller pups but some people will even go so far as to purposely deliver premature pups. Sometimes pups are even starved in crucial growth stages to retard their growth & development.

The bottom line is they are being bred small for no reason. Small breeds were developed for specific purposes & we have no need to create smaller versions of small enough dogs.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

Fred2'O
Novice

Jun 4, 2010, 6:24 AM

Post #5 of 5 (3540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] TEACUP poodle lifespan???? [In reply to] Can't Post

My god it really is unbelievable what these people would do just to get *cutesy* tiny sized dogs. few years ago i met a lady who told me that her miniature maltese died from seizures. i believe the dog wasn't even a year old. Very sad.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my