Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Breed Specific: Working Group:
Would like to get a dog that will protect me, my family and my property. Please advice?

anthonytock
New User

Mar 19, 2010, 6:08 AM

Post #1 of 4 (6126 views)
Shortcut
Would like to get a dog that will protect me, my family and my property. Please advice? Can't Post

I live in a scary neighborhood and I always fear that robbers might break into our home one of these days. I leave the lights in our front porch on every night so our house is always bright in the dark. Should I get a German Sheppard or a Doberman as a protector? I would like it to altleast bite and maybe attack the robbers if they do try to trespass our property. Does the dog need to be trained to protect its loved ones and home?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 19, 2010, 7:26 AM

Post #2 of 4 (6120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anthonytock] Would like to get a dog that will protect me, my family and my property. Please advice? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the dog needs to be trained to protect its home. What most people see as "protection" is not. Barking, even biting, is not protection.

If you want a Protection Dog, you have to invest in a dog bred & trained specifically for this. Just buying a Dobermann or a GSD does not mean the dog will protect. Also, they have the risk of being stabbed or poisoned & then dying. Both of these breeds have been so overbred, many no longer have their working ability.

It would probably be cheaper to get an alarm system or even move than it would to buy a good protection dog.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

stanleyee
K9 Maniac

Mar 27, 2010, 5:58 AM

Post #3 of 4 (6033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anthonytock] Would like to get a dog that will protect me, my family and my property. Please advice? [In reply to] Can't Post

most of the german shepard has hip. disp.. if you really want to get a nice clean pup, go for reputable breeder instead of pet shop. and like goldenaddict said, training is a must.

I may not be the one who start the fight, but I will not hesitate to finished it ....

"expect the un-expected".....cheers..!!

http://s246.photobucket.com/...07/wollyee/?start=40

PSY
K9 Kaki

Apr 1, 2010, 5:35 PM

Post #4 of 4 (5885 views)
Shortcut

You wish to have an all rounder, go for a dob not a GSD. What you require is a "watch dog" not "protection or guard dog". You like something to give you warning however with a GSD it can be very over done in terms of warning.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my