Peeing Problem

chuchubaby
New User

Mar 7, 2010, 4:53 AM

Post #1 of 10 (10205 views)
Shortcut
Peeing Problem Can't Post

Hi,

I have just bought a pomeranian puppy (3 months old). I noticed that my puppy is actually peeing quite often. I would say once every 30 min. Sometimes, she would pee right after drinking water. I'm very worried about this. Is this common for all puppies? Or she is sick? I brought her to the vet and it seems she is perfectly fine in terms of health.

In addition, I'm no good in training her on peeing. Given the fact she is still young, I understand that she will pee everywhere and anywhere she prefers and I'm trying to train her to pee in the toilet floor or in her doggie cage. But everytime before I can even tell her she is wrong by saying a "NO", she would run off already to play. I have tried bringing her to the toilet every morning but she dont usually do her business there.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2010, 5:54 AM

Post #2 of 10 (10197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuchubaby] Peeing Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

If you know to read body language of dogs your problem is easily solved. If you don't, it is something rather difficult to explain and to teach over the net. Once every 30" for a 3 months old puppy is not exactly normal. On the other hand you did not mention colour and quantity of urine being discharged, so there is no indication and clue to work on.

However, you could toilet train her by newspaper training as stage one. Once she started to pee&poo on newspaper on several occasions, perhaps over a period of one week, you move the newspaper to the toilet, covering the whole floor area and once she started to do her business in the toilet covered with newspaper, gardually you remove piece by piece until there is only one piece of newspaper left. If she pee & poo on that remaining piece of newspaper, so have succeeded in your task, and if you wish to streamline it further reduce the area cover by one piece of newspaper to half.

This is as best a solution I could think of.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 7, 2010, 6:18 AM

Post #3 of 10 (10192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuchubaby] Peeing Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Chuchubaby,

One of the reasons behind crate-training is that the dog will not be soiling an area that he or she sleeps in - encouraging this is counter productive.

If your Vet has ruled out a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), then don't encourage urinating in her crate or don't let her use the floor or newspapers. This is just telling her it's "okay" to urinate everywhere. Clean up any accidents with an enzymatic cleaner like Urine-Off to get rid of any residual odor that would encourage her to urinate in the same spots.

Take her out often, praise her when she does her business on grass. Take her outside immediately from being crated & right after eating or drinking.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Mar 7, 2010, 6:20 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2010, 6:52 AM

Post #4 of 10 (10186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Peeing Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely disagreed with this theory crate-training is that the dog will not be soiling an area that he or she sleeps in - encouraging this is counter productive. If it is carried out correctly, it is not counter productive.

I bet my last penny that you also do it to dogs with excessive marking when they come for boarding.

What makes you think she has a garden. The fact that it is only a Pom could also meant that the owner is staying in an apartment/condo. If the owner has no garden and the dog is kept in an apartment and you said don't let her use the floor or nespapers, please provide her with a solution then you could said and claimed "Hope I helped". As it is what have you done for her?

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 7, 2010, 8:31 AM

Post #5 of 10 (10177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] Peeing Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Knotidoc,

Chuchubaby stated in that question: "In addition, I'm no good in training her on peeing. Given the fact she is still young, I understand that she will pee everywhere and anywhere she prefers and I'm trying to train her to pee in the toilet floor or in her doggie cage."

H/Her question said h/her dog "will pee everywhere and anywhere she prefers". So, obviously, training her to urinate on some area of the bathroom floor & also in her cage, is resulting in her urinating "everywhere".

A cage/crate is a tool in house-training, a safe place for the dog to sleep, a safe area for the dog to be contained when the owner is not home or not watching her - not a toilet area.

You know, I've come across a few dog owners (mostly those owning small dogs) using the fact that they're living in apartments to avoid bringing their dogs out for their toilet breaks & exercise. Apartment or not, dogs need those, it's not a luxury. I often tell people that if they don't want to let their dogs out or exercise them, then it's best to just get a cat. :)

Anyway, it really is okay if you disagree with me Knotidoc. And I think it's quite obvious that I did provide chuchubaby another solution & that is to bring h/her dog OUTSIDE to go toilet.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Mar 7, 2010, 8:50 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2010, 9:16 AM

Post #6 of 10 (10166 views)
Shortcut

Details given by the owner of the Pom is vague and lack specific particulars, thus it difficult to pin point what methods to deploy. Frankly spealing it is very rare for a puppy to pee everywhere every 30 minutes. Don't you agree? Some puppies will do a submission pee when ever it is being picked up and some puppies will pee when being excited. The question now is what is this urinating every 30"?

I know for a fact that dogs staying in condos do not have the luxury of being taken out regularly, especially those on the higher floors.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 8, 2010, 6:33 AM

Post #7 of 10 (10135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc, chuchubaby] Peeing Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

At 3 months, this is a tad excessive. The only thing I can think of is that she probably has a Urinary Tract Infection. They're very common in female puppies. They're painful too.

To chuchubaby, take her to the Vet. She will need antibiotics. If you are able to get a specimen of her urine in a clean container, that will help the Vet identify which particular bacteria is causing the problem.

Hope I helped.

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Mar 8, 2010, 6:35 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2010, 7:48 AM

Post #8 of 10 (10127 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to say UR confusing/'misleading' the poor girl by saying "get a specimen of her urine in a clean container, that will help the Vet identify which particular bacteria is causing the problem." U must understand that not every clinic has the facilities to carry out urine FEME tests.

Her best bet is sending the sample to PathLab price wise RM15.00 and with the report show it to the vet.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 8, 2010, 9:19 AM

Post #9 of 10 (10125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] Peeing Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Knotidoc, I really do not understand how that can be confusing or misleading. UTIs are very common & every Vet should be able to do a Urinalysis (UA).

The testing procedures are usually quite simple & the urine is normally examined in three parts:
Macroscopically with the naked eye, Chemically with a special urine strip & Microscopically when a microscope is used to examine the sediment.

When my female puppy had UTI, the Vet just smudged a drop of her urine onto a glass slide & examined it under a microscope. They didn't need to send her urine sample to a lab. We got the test results within 10 minutes.

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Mar 8, 2010, 9:29 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2010, 11:17 PM

Post #10 of 10 (10090 views)
Shortcut

I am fully aware of the dip stick method that you mentioned. It is limited and only reasonably accurate Vs The FEME that gives you a full profile such as Blood/Haemoglobin, Leukocytes, Nitrite, PH, Protein, Glucose, Kentones, Urobilinogen, Specific Gravity, R.B.C. Puscells, Epithelialcells and Casts.

The cost as I said is only RM15.00

Discussion closed and concluded.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my