Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
How much does spay or neuter cost a dog?

CorgiLUVR
New User

Feb 24, 2010, 1:08 AM

Post #1 of 9 (21019 views)
Shortcut
How much does spay or neuter cost a dog? Can't Post

My friend wants to get his Labrador spayed. How much does it cost and what about the shots? thanks

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Feb 24, 2010, 1:31 AM

Post #2 of 9 (21009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CorgiLUVR] How much does spay or neuter cost a dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Spay generally cost more than a neuter. The prices for treatments & shots generally vary by individual Vets. Also, animal clinics & hospitals charge for spaying & neutering by how much the animal weighs.

I got my 30 kilos Golden Retriever spayed for only RM300 at Baby Pets, Taman Equine. If she was spayed by a different Vet, it would have atleast cost me RM400-RM500. My 5 kilos cat's spay operation cost RM250. It was done by a Vet in Klang Lama.

Vaccination, typical fees RM30-RM80.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Feb 24, 2010, 1:37 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2010, 1:59 AM

Post #3 of 9 (21001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CorgiLUVR] How much does spay or neuter cost a dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

If U have the budget then go to private clinic if not Govt Vet, Paws, or Selangor State Vet, Dept in Shah Alam will only cost you RM50.00 But don't expect the price of a Kencil to have a ride of a Benz!!!!

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

sasvika
New User

Mar 4, 2010, 7:53 PM

Post #4 of 9 (20823 views)
Shortcut

Spaying costs more than neutering because spaying is procedure that is a larger surgery and usually involves a day or two of staying at the vet, and neutering is a simpler less invasive surgery with a few stitches. Our vet charged about $150+ for a spaying. It really depends on the size of the animal because the larger the animal the more anasthetic and the bigger area they'll need to keep it post op. Low cost clinics will charge substantially less. In my hometown they run as cheap $50 for a spay or neuter, but I've seen some elswere that offer more. Depends on the clinic. Look up a low cost clinic in your area if you are really hurting for the money, because a fixed animal is definately better.

Also, you shouldn't spay or neuter before at least 6 months of age because, at least in males, testosterone affects growth hormone so neutering too early will affect the dogs size and muscle distribution. My dog newest dog was neutered at 5 weeks old right before w e adopted him and the vet said it caused him to be a 55 lb german shepherd versus the 75-100lb one he should have been. That's a huge size difference. Just keep that in mind.

Shots at my vet cost $15 to 20 dollars for each one of the 5 way boosters they give in succession over a series of about 2 or 3 months. The vet didn't charge for the office call, just the shot, as long as the dog was healthy. If anything was wrong with the dog I'd have had to pay the $15 dollar shot, plus the $35 office call, plus whatever medication or other thing they did. with about 3-4 boosters and a rabies vaccination it cost me about $60 to $80 to be completely up do date on vaccinations. They will always give the rabies vaccination last because it's law to have the rabies vaccination and they will give you the registration tab and paperwork for the vaccinations. You put the tag on your dog and keep the paperwork on file at your house like you would your taxes, because if there is ever a problem with your dog then you have proof your dog is current on vaccinations. Low cost clinics also offer much less expensive vaccinations. I think I've seen them as low as $5 per each shot at a low cost clinic near me. Call around local vets first and price the vaccinations, and call any low cost clinics you can.

Also, there is one other vaccination, for bordetella aka Kennel Cough. It runs about the same price, but you don't need to get it unless you have a lot of other dogs, or if you ever plan on boarding your dog at the vet for a day or two it's mandatory before you are able to board. And, rabies vaccinations are required about every year by law and all that, so you're looking at about $20 a year from hear on out, but the first year is more expensive by far.

Good luck with the border collie. Good dogs. and Good luck finding a vet or clinic you like.
Kill bugs

jenbhg
Novice

Mar 9, 2010, 11:42 PM

Post #5 of 9 (20750 views)
Shortcut

Last month a female dog followed my daughter home when she took one of our dogs for evening walk. Now we had kept her (Hazel) as an additional ones. Hazel is having her "period" now & we have to keep her in the cage just incase she is raped by my others 2 male dogs. I just found out from a private vet that spay operation costs RM 250 (+ 1 night stay) & Govt Vet (Cheras) costs RM 195 (immediately discharge) & vaccination RM 40.

Sasvika, I am staying in Cheras & interested to find out where is your vet that charged RM 150.00 for spaying. Really have to look for reasonable Vet because keeping 3 dogs are costly, moreover my daughter really wants to keep Hazel (preventing her from being "gang-raped") so we have to get her spayed.

Thank you & hope to hear from you soon.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Mar 10, 2010, 3:11 AM

Post #6 of 9 (20743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jenbhg] How much does spay or neuter cost a dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think sasvika is Malaysian nor living in Malaysia. The prices he/she stated are the American pricings.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Mar 10, 2010, 3:15 AM)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 11, 2010, 12:07 AM

Post #7 of 9 (20687 views)
Shortcut

hi jenbhg,

you can get Hazel spayed at Klinik Kembiri, which is a low cost spay/neuter clinic... i think have to wait till Hazel's period is over then only can spay... here is Klinik Kembiri's contact: DBKL-SPCA Klinik Kembiri

Pusat Kurungan Haiwan
Jabatan Kesihatan DBKL
Jalan Air Jerneh
Air Panas, Setapak
53200 Kuala Lumpur

Tel:
03-40243446 (Office)
012-2581041 (Manager – Mr G.R. Krishnan)

Email:
klinikkembiri@spca.org.my

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

jenbhg
Novice

Mar 11, 2010, 10:12 PM

Post #8 of 9 (20621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] How much does spay or neuter cost a dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Ai Ney,

Thank you so much for your recommendation of Klinik Kembiri @ SPCA & their spaying cost is very much reasonable compared to Jab Perkhidmatan Haiwan @ Cheras (so called Govt Vet!!). I called up the clinic & was informed that I need to fix an appointment (Sat/Sun) after my dog's period is over.

Thanks to you again.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 12, 2010, 1:39 AM

Post #9 of 9 (20603 views)
Shortcut

you're welcome jenbhg! Smile i'm all for spaying/neutering and am glad u chose to spay ur dog!

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my