Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Can I mix dry dog food with canned dog food?

bkforshare
New User

Feb 8, 2010, 7:49 PM

Post #1 of 5 (7718 views)
Shortcut
Can I mix dry dog food with canned dog food? Can't Post

Can I mix 2 kinds of dog food? I heard that the dry dog food contains more benefits,some will lose in dry dog food??

[url=www.petlv.com]Dog Loves That

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 8, 2010, 8:09 PM

Post #2 of 5 (7714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bkforshare] Can I mix dry dog food with canned dog food? [In reply to] Can't Post

You can have them mix, by doing so you are providing better option for your dog. The choice of mixes depend on type of breeds, what those dogs are being use for, picky or non picky and are they being prescribe for health reasons (your vet should be able to provide percentage for mixing).

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Feb 10, 2010, 8:50 PM

Post #3 of 5 (7673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bkforshare] Can I mix dry dog food with canned dog food? [In reply to] Can't Post

You can mix the 2 types if you wish to but canned dog foods are usually quite fattening & some are full of fillers. There's usually hardly any real meat in them unless you go for the higher, more expenssive brands like Addiction.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Feb 10, 2010, 9:06 PM)

sasvika
New User

Feb 22, 2010, 7:39 PM

Post #4 of 5 (7574 views)
Shortcut

There's no benefits to dry food. It can result in tooth decay - kibble doesn't "clean" teeth like pet food companies and even some veterinarians like to lead people to believe. the only "good" thing about dry food is convenience. You have to feed more kibble, than you would feed canned, because canned food is generally more meat-based than kibble will EVER be. Especially considering how cooked down the meat is in kibble.

For dogs, the low moisture content in kibble isn't really a concern, since dogs are thirst-driven so they can make up for the amount they don't get through their meal of kibble, by their bowl of water.

But when they eat kibble, it splinters, and pieces fly in their mouth and get stuck in grooves of their teeth and along their gums that they can't really get out by a swipe of their tongue. Kibble either splinters, or gets swallowed whole, so the chance of any "teeth cleaning" is nullified by how it's eaten.

That's not even taking into consideration the amount of sugar that's necessary for making kibble in the first place. There always has to be carbs in dry food, too many carbs that cats or dogs need(many dry foods contain around 40% carbs, when cats and dogs really need only between 3-7% carbs), and cats and dogs don't metabolize carbs the way we do - they don't store it as energy for later on. Any carbs they take in has to be used in their body right then and there. So the 3-7% carbs they use out of say...45% carbs, well 38% gets manufactured into sugar and can later result in overweight cats with diabetes, fatty liver disease, kidney failure...you name it.

There's an author of a site that puts it in a great, humorous perspective, "We don't floss our teeth with crackers, cats and dogs don't floss their teeth with kibble."

Raw really is the best choice, but canned is definitely a runner up for those who are otherwise unable to feed their dogs raw.

If the dry food doesn't contain any grains, then yeah, it would be okay to mix dry with canned. Dry food which contains grains shouldn't be moistened, because the grains in the food release mycotoxins, I believe they're called. Especially if food with corn as an ingredient gets wet - then it releases aflatoxins I believe.
Kill bugs

Kempton
New User

Jul 7, 2010, 5:05 AM

Post #5 of 5 (6194 views)
Shortcut

Yes you can mix but it is not very much useful for dogs. Canned dog food is better than dry food, mostly because it contains fewer preservatives (since the canning process itself acts as a preservative). Canned dog food generally has less grain in its ingredients, and of course it has more moisture, which helps keep a dog hydrated and benefits the urinary tract.

http://www.puppiesndogs.com/

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my