Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Pets Cafe

greenapple_yim
New User

Feb 5, 2010, 5:04 AM

Post #1 of 16 (6945 views)
Shortcut
Pets Cafe Can't Post

Hi everyone, I m on the planning to open the Pets Cafe, just need you guy to give me some comments on choosing the location.

I have some location under my consideration:

1. Kota Damansara

2. Damansara Jaya

3. Subang Taipan

Any others good location for this business?

My Pets Cafe will provide grooming services, pet sitting, pet boarding, pet clothes & accessories and of course cafe for your beloved pets and owners.

We are selling a delicious homemade cookies and cakes for your doggies, and also food for the pets owner too.

How often will all the pet lovers visit this kind of store? Will you all bring your pets together?

Appreciated all your sharing here!Wink

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Feb 14, 2010, 5:46 PM

Post #2 of 16 (6846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenapple_yim] Pets Cafe [In reply to] Can't Post

ss2 maybe?get some 'chinese-place'..haha..got swimming pool?Frown

scapolitejoshua
Novice

Feb 14, 2010, 6:48 PM

Post #3 of 16 (6843 views)
Shortcut

If your cafe have a Pool specially for dogs. You can put it anywhere, and people would still go. It's basically a monopoly. But please note there are certain substance you cannot use in a pool for dogs. Eg. Chlorine. or well excessive chlorine.

Pools which uses salt are the best. Please do some research regarding this. And keep us posted :D

P.S If you do have a pool at your cafe. I have to get a discount! :P

greenapple_yim
New User

Feb 17, 2010, 5:44 AM

Post #4 of 16 (6805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scapolitejoshua] Pets Cafe [In reply to] Can't Post

If really have pool for dogs, means need to build up a Pet Club which included a swimming pool, greengrass field, playground, etc

But in Malaysia, which location is best for this business?

scapolitejoshua
Novice

Feb 17, 2010, 9:01 AM

Post #5 of 16 (6800 views)
Shortcut

Okay. Firstly let us be clear, that I am no expert in this field. I am merely an interested party that would like to give MY personal advice.

Now location. Let's just think of the main areas where dog lovers are common. This would include BU, TTDI, PJ and also Damansara. Anything at Damansara or Mont Kiara would probably be too expensive (for land at least). So, I would suggest somewhere in between these 4 areas.

I actually thought of Sungai Buloh, near the outskirts of BU, where land is much cheaper (though this might discourage potential customers from PJ). But yet again if you have a pool I'm confident the market is there, as the only "well known" spot where dogs are allowed to swim is KKB or the Kuala Kubu Baru waterfall. Seeing as KKB is probably a good 50 mins drive from KL i don't see how a 15 minute drive from BU won't do well.

That's it for location. Now cost. You talked about grassy fields, playgrounds and such. This might sound like you'll need a huge cost, but this is not necessarily true. A good reference you can use for this would be at www.club4paws.com.sg/ This is a club at Singapore where they have simple equipment, an average sized land and a medium sized pool for dogs. And they're doing spectacularly well (or so I've heard).

I think with a proper location and a reasonable pricing, this business can be beneficial for both sides (both the customers and yourself). I hope this unsupported piece of advice would help. Anyways, i wish you the best of luck and please do keep up posted.

Thanks,
Joshualee

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2010, 5:52 PM

Post #6 of 16 (6788 views)
Shortcut

I don't, mean to pour a bucket of cold water on you. Best u wake up and stopped day dreaming and also building sand castles.

You need a cool 1.5million capital investment to iniatiate your project and you will also need another RM1,000,000 for your working capital for your next 12 months. How much could you charge per animal/hour?

I am sure you have come across a monthly magazine called "The "? Where is it now? Gone with the wind just like the MGM motion picture.

This concept of yours is not ready for the Malaysian Market yet. In the States and certain EU countrites maybe. Japan HK and Taiwan are doing well. At this stage I don't see any reasons to elaborate on the situations why Japan HK & Taiwan are doing well bcoz Malaysia just do not have any similarities compared to these countries. One good example is you can keep small and medium size dogs in any condos, apartments & high rise dwellings. Malaysia do not have this type of flexibilities. This is not your major drawback.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

scapolitejoshua
Novice

Feb 17, 2010, 6:34 PM

Post #7 of 16 (6786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] Pets Cafe [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I agree that the start up capital might be very high. But once again this might not be true, as the land might not necessarily be too big. Take Club4paws (singapore) for instance.

Now for the Malaysian Market. I disagree. I think the Market is there, it's just whether you know how to push it to it's fullest potential. Okay. Let's see look at some of the problems you'll face. Firstly, weather. If the weather is too hot, there will probably be less customers. Solution? Simple, a good shade will provide a good run of daily customers. Secondly, customers. I think if you could work with training schools or heck even puppy.com.my to host maybe weekly swimming lessons or agility lessons at your place, you could maintain a good estimate of customers a month. And why you? Well because it's simply a monopoly. There is no place in KL who simply have a doggy pool. The only one i know is at Johor. And they're actually doing pretty good there too (or so says the Star). You must understand the pool is not your primary source of income. You would most probably have boarding services and grooming. The swimming pool is just a heads up for you to stand out among the rest. A good ADVANTAGE among the rest.

Or you know what? You should start a poll here at puppy.com.my that should give you an estimate of the market. It might not be accurate but it's something.

Personally, I think with proper marketing the market is there. But yes I agree with Knotidoc that you would probably need a high opening capital, and unless you have the money to invest, this is virtually impossible. Once again, I am no expert in this field, this is just a piece of unsupported advice.

Cheers.

(This post was edited by scapolitejoshua on Feb 17, 2010, 6:36 PM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2010, 8:39 PM

Post #8 of 16 (6782 views)
Shortcut

After all U&I are not thinking of opening up a Pets Cafe, so further discussion on this subject is quite pointless. However, I am in the canine related business- not the buy&sell category- but more on service orientated field.

I engaged a consultant few years back to carry out a world wide study on this type of business and I have with me 2 volumes of notes and write ups. If the initial capital outlay was 1.5 million to build something rather posh & exclusive, yet there is no guaeantee of a "break even" or surviving return, the most sensible way is to dump this sum of money into a FD A/c and enjoy your annual interests from a BankSly

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Feb 18, 2010, 4:05 AM

Post #9 of 16 (6768 views)
Shortcut

mayeb u can charge abt 300bucks from the membership of the first year n 180bucks for the following year to pay 4 the expenses?do keep us updated yea!

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Feb 18, 2010, 4:14 AM

Post #10 of 16 (6767 views)
Shortcut

btw,if the the plan worked,as the other member has said,that would be the first one in Selangor,the second one in Malaysia.For my opinion,there's a market for it,juz take a look at the event organized by pp.com,there r sooooo many ppl who r willing to bring their dogs out to a doggie event,why not a club with a pool?many ppl(even in other forum) hv been looking for pool for dogs n there r none in selangor.btw..u can even try to cope with the vet n hv water theraphy for those dog's tat hv hip problem!;)many things can be done,grooming,boarding,training,pool,vet service,selling dog stuff etc.Frown

scapolitejoshua
Novice

Feb 18, 2010, 4:55 AM

Post #11 of 16 (6766 views)
Shortcut

Okay. Fine. As a conclusion let's just put it this way.

1. You would probably need a tidy sum for an opening capital. But the pool might not necessarily cause that much. My dad is a contractor and he estimates a medium sized pool with roughly 4 to 5 feet would cost about 70 k. The only addition we are suggesting from your original proposal is just the pool anyway. So think of it, as your initial plan + 70 k. This would obviously not include maintenance.

2. Location, preferably somewhere within good reach from PJ, TTDI, BU and Damansara.

3. Market potential? It's definitely there, waiting for you to unleash your marketing schemes to it's fullest potential. If you need to, start a poll right here at puppy.com.my

4. Guarantees? None.

P.S Leehom, I think it's the entire Malaysia besides the one in Johor. Not just Selangor. :P

I hope this helps.

Best Regards.

(This post was edited by scapolitejoshua on Feb 18, 2010, 4:58 AM)

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Feb 18, 2010, 5:28 AM

Post #12 of 16 (6760 views)
Shortcut

haha..true..maybe ppl from other states will organisa a trip here just to go there..;P

greenapple_yim
New User

Feb 18, 2010, 6:17 PM

Post #13 of 16 (6734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_leehom517] Pets Cafe [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for all your sharing here, i really appreciate it!

I think the market is there but seems that need a huge amount for this investment, maybe i just thinking to start a grooming salon + cafe at the beginning stage; but sure i will continues my aim to have a doggy club later. Let me try my best to work it out!

Will update your all here....hehe

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2010, 8:36 PM

Post #14 of 16 (6722 views)
Shortcut

The market for your original idea is there. BUT the cost and our standard of living is no where near to what is justified as a reasonable price.

If you are thinking of just a grooming establishment+cafe, I am sorry to say that this will also be a sure fail project. There are hundreds of grooming houses in KL. How many have a cafe? Most of the owners will bring their dogs to you for grooming and pick up later. They don't have time to wait and drink coffee, because a dog comes in for grooming do not get immediate attention. It has to wait for its turn. You need staff for your grooming section and you also need staff for your cafe.

To be ambitious in life is good blessing, but you have to look at the feasibility and practicability of your project. The principle in going into business is profit. No point to spend good money chasing after bad money and this is exactly what you are about to embark on.

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Feb 19, 2010, 1:08 AM

Post #15 of 16 (6713 views)
Shortcut

hehe..k;)but as Knotidoc hv said there r many many grooming house in KL.maybe u can start a cafe with human food n doggie menu as well;)

scapolitejoshua
Novice

Feb 19, 2010, 6:25 AM

Post #16 of 16 (6701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_leehom517] Pets Cafe [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, just having a Pets cafe with a "doggy" menu is not enough. If this is successful there would probably be 20 other competitors. The life span of this business is just too short, unless you have something that stands out among the rest.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my