First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ongwooijin
Novice

Jan 22, 2010, 6:55 PM

Post #1 of 26 (3060 views)
Shortcut
Newbie Bully Fan Can't Post

Hi all.

Jin here. Throughout chilhood I've lived WITH dogs but never really owned any of them. Alsation, mongrel, mixed poodle, pommie.

Am contemplating to purchase a Bulldog pup as an indoor pet and companion. So far only shopping around and have seen a couple of pups.

The thing that i noticed is that bulldog pups are significantly more expensive than other pups.

Also, there are very few breeders who sell them. Most breeders sell chow2, poodles, mini pinchers, chihuahuas. Why not bulldogs?

ACC
K9 Servant

Jan 22, 2010, 7:31 PM

Post #2 of 26 (3053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ongwooijin] Newbie Bully Fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Reason they are costly coz each time female delivers have to go thru c.section due to the size of the puppies head also not advisable to breed her more then twice if both occasion the same. Btw welcome to puppy.com...i don't breed bullies but can refer u to a breeder ...pricing not negotiable but spend some time here maybe someone does have them to offer to you..good luck.

Jason Lim
Dog Kichi

Jan 23, 2010, 3:19 AM

Post #3 of 26 (3037 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jin,

Welcome ! I am into English Bull Terriers but my wife initially wanted a bulldog but as you know it's very hard to find one and the quality is not what we expected.
I have exhibited my bullies in ABC shows and you can only see a bulldog maybe once in a blue moon.
As you have also been advised that it's very hard for them to give birth due to the size of their head and you must also consider that their normal life span is very short compared to other dogs.
Another thing you need to consider is are you willing to nurse and care for it if your bulldog have skin problems which everyone knows and I have personally seen my friend's bulldog's problem. The folds on it's nose will also give you some problems too.
To get a dog for it's looks is one thing and caring for it is another. Please don't buy a pup of any breed hastily but check it out with your doggy friends, on the internet buy a good book on that particular breed you are interested in before making a decision.
I had a GSD which sleeps in my bedroom and my family and I love it very much but when it died our hearts were broken. German Shepherds also have their fair share of breed related problems apart from their hair flying all over your house ha..ha..
It took me a long time before I could get over my dog's death and I vowed that if ever I were to get another dog it must be strong, durable, short hair, compact, intelligent and loyal.
After searching through all the breeds and genetic I found my bullies !
English bull terriers have their genetic problems too like all other dogs but all I can say is they are very durable, healthy, tough, comical, intelligent, courageous and loyal.
I found out just like you that it's so, so very difficult to see a bull terrier in the whole of Malaysia and when you do see one the quality sad to say it sucks !
That is when I made up my mind to bring them in from overseas. My first bully was from Australia but I managed to bring in all my later bullies from UK and I have no regrets in ever owning a bully !
You might have the 1st impression that they look horribly ugly but if you really look at them they are just as beautiful. I don't think I have to explain much if you can like the appearance of a bulldog which I love the look very much too but I gave it a long carefully consideration before getting my beloved bullies we no regrets !!
Anyway feel free to check out my thread under the terrier group under English Bull Terrier Breeder, Penang Malaysia and also ask any question that you might have. Best of luck in your search
Best regards
Jason

ACC
K9 Servant

Jan 23, 2010, 6:04 AM

Post #4 of 26 (3033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jason Lim] Newbie Bully Fan [In reply to] Can't Post

We all learn and experience good and difficult times when having dogs in our lives sharing those moments with family members...life goes on but should be wiser and have good nose to sense problems getting new lines of puppy. I would't say local bullies all sucks...there are 2 ways to go about...even manage meet a breeder the chances of him offering top grade is slim unless you show him the money...there always be grading on the pups, normally grade A will be either traded ( mainly export ) or someone can match it...another if the alfa pup were to be identify, don't expect to be seen locally. Those lower then Grade A would be then pass on knowing individuals have different preferences.

If you seeking for a less problematic, hardy and smart dog...I would suggest SA Boerboel. Good luck.

(This post was edited by ACC on Jan 23, 2010, 6:05 AM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 25, 2010, 7:46 AM

Post #5 of 26 (2975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ACC] Newbie Bully Fan [In reply to] Can't Post

SA Boerboels are hard to find here in Malaysia. Some people do breed it here and it turns out to be lousy quality and some don't even match the actual breed standard size. They too have their own genetic problems like the HD and vagina prolapse. Other than that skin problems are very common for these breeds. I would say they are pretty stubborn and they can be very playful. Definitely not a dog for everyone. Won't suggest it to people who don't even want to consider proper basic training and teaching the dog some manners. Smile

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

ongwooijin
Novice

Jan 25, 2010, 6:05 PM

Post #6 of 26 (2965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Newbie Bully Fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your replies. Will listen to your advice. I noticed too how fragile bulldogs are. There were a few puppies displayed by a shop in the open by the sidewalk. Knowing our Malaysian weather in the afternoon, one of the poor pup had significant rashes around its face and neck area.

However, I am still tending towards bulldog as the condition in my apartment is clean and cool. I'm not planning on taking it on streneous walks at parks. Will do more research before committing.

Again, cheers guysWink

ACC
K9 Servant

Jan 25, 2010, 8:05 PM

Post #7 of 26 (2957 views)
Shortcut

SA Boerboels under the tree line of Mastiff group are meant for season and well experience handlers. Needs a dominant owner coz the objective is to achieve a pack leader status. Currently this breed and fellow mastiff member tibetan (TM) are making in roads to our country mainly use for their watching and their guarding abilities. GSD has been ocupying this area for sometime and i salute them but sadly their life expectancy is questionable not just here but through out. If the selection of SAB is veted, it poses little or none health related issues given rightful care and proper development. Having these massive K9s can be very challenging at same time satisfactory assured when target met but any how it applies to all breeds regardless the size. Passion and preferences are of individuals callings...i very much like constructive forums coz it helps. Cheers!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 25, 2010, 8:21 PM

Post #8 of 26 (2955 views)
Shortcut

Exact point for dominant owners. Mastiff can be really really challenging especially when they are at adult age. They will keep trying to overtake you as the leader of the pack if you are not firm with them. The amount of food they eat also can burn a hole in the pocket. Their watching and guarding abilities are really great. For SAB the 'sixth sense' is pretty good and they can really sense the owner's emotions. Only thing is these giant breeds do not realise their size and can act like a puppy jumping on you when they are happy and can push you over easily. Having said so I still love my SAB very much and she is a wonderful dog to own.

ACC
K9 Servant

Jan 25, 2010, 9:02 PM

Post #9 of 26 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Good to know that you have SAB, maybe one day our defence and police K9 unit have more of it. A funny story behind Boerboel, a hamster rode on its back and it just lay motionless and calling to owner for SOS.... SAB can be a clown at times..LOL

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 25, 2010, 11:44 PM

Post #10 of 26 (2943 views)
Shortcut

Since you have brought this story up, then I will share my experience too. My SAB hides behind me if a cat tries to attack her. Blush So embarassing... And she will never harm any small animals including the rabbits in my place, whereas the mongrel I have will keep trying to get rabbit stew for dinner.

ACC
K9 Servant

Jan 25, 2010, 11:52 PM

Post #11 of 26 (2941 views)
Shortcut

Thats when No1 is around..YOU, would be different senario if you not there, SAB will guard their family and properties with their lives if they are train to the very top. Btw care to share more on your SAB...weight, height and age? Tq....As for your other dogs going after those rabbits, they are built for that just have to take precaution coz since your SAB is there, she might want to protect the little playboys but my guess you already set the rules for each and everyone...Cheers!

(This post was edited by ACC on Jan 25, 2010, 11:58 PM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2010, 2:03 AM

Post #12 of 26 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Seems like wrong place to discuss bout this here. We are hijacking someone's thread. We can continue our discussion under working dogs thread. I got a picture of her posted there too. Laugh

ongwooijin
Novice

Feb 2, 2010, 10:17 PM

Post #13 of 26 (2813 views)
Shortcut

Finally bought a 2.5 month old male bulldog pup weighing in at 5.5kgs that had done 2 out of 3 vaccinations.

Brought it to the vet IMMEIDATELY after picking it up. Vet found slight fever, rashes on the face and also a sore throat. Vet also inspected blood sample and stool sample. Medication was prescribed. At the time, the vet mentioned that the pup was neglected, exposed to heat but still in reasonably acceptable condition. No antibiotics prescribed.

Pup was placed indoors. Fed Eukanuba Puppy Large Breed 3 times a day and given free access to water. Pup roamed living room, kitchen and bedroom. Never exposed to heat. Never brought outdoors.

Brought it back to the vet 03 days later for follow up checkup. Condition now worse. Throat all red and covered with mucus. Pup wheezing. Temperature normal. Rashes reduced. Traces of fluid in lungs. Did a blood test on a 'Distemper' test kit. Results negative. Broad spectrum antibiotics prescribed.

Yesterday morning: Pup wheezing loudly. Very inactive and no longer playful. Pup vomitted. Nose covered with green mucus. Immediately brought it to vet again. Fluids in lung remain. Pup put on neubalizer twice daily. Pup was sent to vet again this morning.

I have been feeding pup medication and taking it back n forth to vet since the day I bought it. Really looking forward to the day when I can feed it normal food without all the pills and medications.Unsure

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 2, 2010, 10:48 PM

Post #14 of 26 (2809 views)
Shortcut

Should allow your pup stayed at hospital for observation and further treatment rather moving around (stress for the pup). They will monitor its temperature every 2 hours and from there appopriate treatment provided. With proper care within 2 weeks your pup back running. Good luck

(This post was edited by ACC on Feb 2, 2010, 11:01 PM)

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Feb 3, 2010, 1:31 AM

Post #15 of 26 (2797 views)
Shortcut

If you have taken the pup numerous times to the Vet & you are not satisfied with those results, seek another opinion from another Vet.

May I know what other tests the Vet has done besides checking it's blood & stools? I have a feeling your dog either has an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection or Influenza.

I would advise calling the breeder & asking about the other pups, to see if they are healthy. If it is a reputable breeder, they will let you know. They also would want to know if something is wrong. If another pup has same symptoms, perhaps another Vet was able to diagnose it.

Hope I helped.

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Feb 3, 2010, 1:35 AM)

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2010, 1:42 AM

Post #16 of 26 (2790 views)
Shortcut

Beware immune system down/low secondary infection sets in and the consequences is not going to be pretty

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

ongwooijin
Novice

Feb 3, 2010, 4:44 PM

Post #17 of 26 (2765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Newbie Bully Fan [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If you have taken the pup numerous times to the Vet & you are not satisfied with those results, seek another opinion from another Vet.

May I know what other tests the Vet has done besides checking it's blood & stools? I have a feeling your dog either has an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection or Influenza.

I would advise calling the breeder & asking about the other pups, to see if they are healthy. If it is a reputable breeder, they will let you know. They also would want to know if something is wrong. If another pup has same symptoms, perhaps another Vet was able to diagnose it.

Hope I helped. Thank you for your advice Goldenaddict. The vet carried out a Distemper test using the test kit. Results negative. Vet inspected the pup's breathing with a stetoscope. He said he could hear significant amount of fluid in the lungs. Pneumonia was the main suspect. Vet recommended X-Ray is symptons persisted for another day. Pup continued on antibiotics and supplements. Pup also put on nebulizer twice daily. Symptons immediately subsided the following day. Less mucus coming out from nose. Easier breathing. No more coughing. No more vomitting. No more retching or flam induced noises. Pup extrememly playful when brought home. Went to vet the following day and left pup for a whole day again. Nebulizer twice daily. Vet said that the fluids in the lungs have reduced. Will be taking the pup to the same vet today to continue its twice daily nebulizer treatment. Wish me luck guys

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Feb 3, 2010, 7:41 PM

Post #18 of 26 (2755 views)
Shortcut

Good to know that the pup is doing much better now!

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

ongwooijin
Novice

Feb 3, 2010, 9:22 PM

Post #19 of 26 (2750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] Newbie Bully Fan [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Good to know that the pup is doing much better now!

Got back from vet. Right lung has cleared up. Left lung still has fluid in it. Pup really active and playful today. Shredding papers and chewing on floor mats.

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 4, 2010, 4:02 AM

Post #20 of 26 (2736 views)
Shortcut

Need to put a stop to that, if not your morning edition would be gone...cheers!

ongwooijin
Novice

Feb 9, 2010, 7:26 PM

Post #21 of 26 (2582 views)
Shortcut

Puppy's lungs fully cleared now. Temperature normal. Rashes all gone. Appetite fantastic! Only thing left is phlegm in the throat and the occational retching noise. I've heard that retching is quite normal in bulldogs; especially when they get excited or exhausted. also read that the recommended remedy is lemon juice or 7-up. The acid is the lemon juice or 7-up is supposed to break down the phlegm.

Will be travelling with pup from KL to Penang (my hometown) for CNY celebration. Bought a foldable textile/canvas cage. Been feeding pup and letting it play inside the textile cage for a few days to let it get acquainted and comfortable. Been leash training it and also potty training it. A lot of effort and time was put into prepararing it for this long trip.

Now the pup can reliably 'come here, sit, stay, lie down, go potty'. Oh yes, it has also learnt the meaning of 'no'. However, the pup occasionally gets stubborn and tests me by chewing on newspapers. The good news is that it stops when I raise my voice with a prolonged "Nooooooo".

Happy Chinese New Year guys and gals!!!

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 9, 2010, 7:45 PM

Post #22 of 26 (2578 views)
Shortcut

If i were you, will stay away from lemon juice or 7-up. Just provide lots of fresh drinking water and allow the pup to have more rest (15-18hrs proper rest for puppies). As for the rest is routine and glad you and the pup enjoying each others company. You can also read through this thread under Hunting Forum- The Joys of Beagling that have I been posting still. Good luck and happy CNY...Cheers!

ongwooijin
Novice

Feb 11, 2010, 12:26 AM

Post #23 of 26 (2552 views)
Shortcut

Read your posts in the Beagle thread. Lots of great tips and advice that can be applied to other dogs too.

Good contribution

ACC
K9 Servant

Feb 11, 2010, 12:43 AM

Post #24 of 26 (2547 views)
Shortcut

Before you proceed (guess those training part), give the boy some time to develop its sense of belonging, after full vacination given plus final blood test done, and if all system goes, you may begin your new experience with your puppy. This is will you a head start rather finding your puppy not responding fully due to discomfortabiliy.

ongwooijin
Novice

Feb 11, 2010, 12:57 AM

Post #25 of 26 (2544 views)
Shortcut

On the contrary. The pup follows me around the house like my shadow. I cant even go potty peacefully now because I know the pup is sitting right outside the toilet door waiting.

The pup has a independant attitute if i were to ask it to come or sit. But if i had a treat in my hand, it would do ANYTHING for the treats. Maybe that explains its fat belly!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my