Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Current Dog Related Issues and News:
Deaf or just plain ignoring?

GoldenLurv
Novice

Jan 17, 2010, 7:33 AM

Post #1 of 17 (16292 views)
Shortcut
Deaf or just plain ignoring? Can't Post

Hi! I have a golden retriever puppy which is around 7 weeks old. She is really really cute and active. I really love her. I jus got her recently like 2 days ago but I'm having problems. She won't respond to noise or sound. I tried calling her name (Chelsy), claping my hands and making noisy sounds with keys but it still wont get her attention. She only response and reacts to vibrations or things moving infront of her. I contacted the breeder and she was kind enough to bring Chelsy's brother to make a comparison. It was the same. He did not react to sound too but the breeder says its normal and they will be ok when they grow older. Is this true? Please help me. I'm really concerned about Chelsy. Thanks in advance! And are there any ways to check if she's deaf? Go to the vet? Thanks

Regards,
A Concerned Pet Owner,
Shaun

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2010, 6:37 PM

Post #2 of 17 (16284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenLurv] Deaf or just plain ignoring? [In reply to] Can't Post

A veterinarian is the best person to determine if your GR is deaf. In UK OZ and USA there are facilities scientifically to confirm if the puppy is totally deaf or particially deaf.

In Malaysia I am afraid it is not available.

The Symptom you gave appeared very typical of a deaf puppy. However, do not dispair. A dog relied on three instincts to survive namely Sound, Smell & Sight.

With dedication and know how you should have no problem in bringing up puppy although at times it will be frustrating.

If you are interested to know my honest opinion in what I would do under such a situation, I am willing to post it in the forum.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

GoldenLurv
Novice

Jan 17, 2010, 11:00 PM

Post #3 of 17 (16273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] Deaf or just plain ignoring? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your help! Strangely, today she replied to me quite a lot. Each time i call her name she looks to me. I even got my mother to stand opposite direction from me. My mum called her name, she looked to my mum. When i call her name she looks to me. Maybe she just learn her name. Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to consult a veterinarian. Thanks

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2010, 11:21 PM

Post #4 of 17 (16269 views)
Shortcut

A GR being deaf is seldom heard of. But deaf Dalmatians are a plenty, especially those with wall eyes (one normal colour the other blue)

I still think you should pay a visit to the vet to confirm.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

GoldenLurv
Novice

Jan 18, 2010, 4:40 AM

Post #5 of 17 (16259 views)
Shortcut

Oh thanks so much! It relieves me to hear to say that. Thanks for your help.

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2010, 6:22 AM

Post #6 of 17 (16252 views)
Shortcut

That's OK. But you must remember that I'm NOT a qualified vet, only have years&years of canine related experience. So, a vet is still the correct and appropriate person to clarify the matter.

Who is the vet you will be going? There are good and caring one, then you have the tidak apa type and those that will take your money and tell you rubbish.

Cheers

GoldenLurv
Novice

Jan 18, 2010, 7:02 AM

Post #7 of 17 (16246 views)
Shortcut

I'll go to the pet clinic @ The Pet Safari @ Ikano. Is that ok? Coz I'm new to this dog thingy~ and i really REALLY need help potty training my dog. After her meal she usuall does her business at my garden. When i see her scratching the ground and sniffing around, I wait till she's about to get busy. When she's about the do it, i quickly move her to the correct potty place ( i sprayed the pet training spray ) there but she won't do it after that. Any advice?

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2010, 8:01 AM

Post #8 of 17 (16241 views)
Shortcut

The Healing Rooms in Subang Jaya is good and the charges are value for money. Lee Veterinary Clinic in Jalan Kuchai Maju 1. off Jln Kuchai Lama is also good. Dr.Lee takes great care and spent time to examine your pet. Both the clinics could be contacted @ 0356376166 & 0379877991 respectively.

I have my reservations in training a dog to poo at a place of 'YOUR Choice'. So long it poo on the grass in the garden I'm quite happy. After meals and upon waking up are the crucial times for a puppy to do its business. If you insist in training her to pee&poo at a specific spot perhaps you could attach her on a leash and lead her to that spot until she has done her business there. Don't forget to praise her with a soothing voice such as Goooood girl/boy.

The spray you mentioned that is available at pet shop does not work for all dogs. You could buy a small quantity of lime powder from any hardware store and sprinkle this stuff on the spot after you have removed the poo. I find this substance more effective than anything that is advertised.

(This post was edited by Admin on Jan 22, 2010, 3:37 AM)

GoldenLurv
Novice

Jan 19, 2010, 1:36 AM

Post #9 of 17 (16218 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for your reply. I want her to poo in a tray i bought. I tried leashing her but she just wouldnt poo in the box. Instead, once i release her, she poos on another spot. Please help. I really need help. Thanks

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010, 2:00 AM

Post #10 of 17 (16213 views)
Shortcut

Unfortunately dogs do not poo in tray. I don't know Y. You must also bear in mind that your GR is not a small dog. Sori cann't help you in this topic.

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010, 4:06 AM

Post #11 of 17 (16208 views)
Shortcut

Dogs need to circle around before they poop... Your tray is probably way too small for him to comfortably 'select a spot'.

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010, 4:59 AM

Post #12 of 17 (16205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] Deaf or just plain ignoring? [In reply to] Can't Post

UR telling me or RU replying to the post by GoldenLurv? Bcoz I am happy and satisfied with where my dogs poo. The only problem I've is when I bent down to scoop up the poo a dog would sneek up on me from behind and let go with a squirt.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 19, 2010, 5:17 AM

Post #13 of 17 (16204 views)
Shortcut

Hi, your GR is only 7 weeks old, the breeder should have explain to you. Some pups are a little "blurr" well some more than others, their hearing has not been fine tune plus their eye sight are not very good either. Give it some time about 12 - 16 weeks then you can tell. Actually, it is rather funny that the breeder bought another pup for comparison, not certain if he/she is trying to show both puppies are deaf or they are fine.

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010, 5:49 AM

Post #14 of 17 (16197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Deaf or just plain ignoring? [In reply to] Can't Post

Telling Goldenluv :P

Personally I feel its better to let the dog do its business on the grass/outdoors. My dogs all have this auto knowledge not to dirty the house. Even if I lock them in the whole day, they know how to hold it till they are let out. Just less smelly and more hygienic I guess

GoldenLurv
Novice

Jan 19, 2010, 6:54 AM

Post #15 of 17 (16193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Deaf or just plain ignoring? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys for all your replies. Yea the breeder is a really nice person and dont mind bringing another puppy from the litter for a comparison. ^^ I'm just happy that my dog's starting to learn her name now. Now it's just left potty training to go. Hard. Really need help. I sprayed the ammonia spray on the newspaper at the place i want her to poo but she just wouldnt. Instead, she would poo somewhere else. I tried leashing her to restrain her movements. ( can only reach pooing place ) but it didnt work. Any advice? Thanks

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010, 7:32 AM

Post #16 of 17 (16187 views)
Shortcut

Grass trained dogs, sorry. Nagged my adult pom till she got tired of being called dum-dum whenever she pood on the porch

PSY
K9 Kaki

Jan 19, 2010, 4:55 PM

Post #17 of 17 (16137 views)
Shortcut

Pooing, there are many ways but not sure if they work as I do have a decent size lawn so for me just cleaning up. I have a suggestion, no spraying etc, just line the area you wish it to poo with newspaper, all over and wait, then you just go and pick up or clean that piece of paper and replace it, the rest that are still clean just leave them. Do this for a week or so. Next step, after a week or so you pick the soiled piece but do not replace it and if your pup only soil the papered area then you are on the way, however if it doesn't than you are back to square one. Just try, but remember I do not know if it work. Oh, the paper, your pup may take up reading so you may have a bigger mess.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my