Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
What do you think of this sweeping statement? "Don't Breed or Buy while Shelter Animals Die!"

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Dec 30, 2009, 1:14 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2765 views)
Shortcut
What do you think of this sweeping statement? "Don't Breed or Buy while Shelter Animals Die!" Can't Post

I disagree with it wholeheartedly.

If that sweeping statement was applied to BYBers, I AGREE totally. But reputable breeders AREN'T responsible for the overflowing shelters, they always take back their dogs if necessary. And some of them even work in rescues.

There are always going to be dogs in shelters, because there are always going to be people making excuses to put them there. As long as dog ownership is viewed as a right rather than a luxury, or as the final piece of furniture to complete someone's home, there are always going to be dogs in shelters.

If all of the responsible breeders stopped breeding, leaving the future of their breeds in the hands of backyard breeders and commercial facilities, where would that leave those breeds?

Besides, the people who buy a well bred dog from a reputable breeder have VALID REASONS (for the most part) for doing so & would never consider a shelter dog. My dogs are a way of life - they're shown in conformation, obedience & agility. I selected the breed that's 100% right for me & what I want to do with them - I'd never consider owning a shelter dog. That's my choice.

However, I will still continue doing my part in helping out the homeless animals as much as I can but I will NEVER allow myself to be guilted or manipulated into giving up my choices.

Breed responsibly, buy responsibly, train responsibly. Don't breed junk or buy junk!

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Dec 30, 2009, 1:56 AM)

Sashan
Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2009, 1:57 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] What do you think of this sweeping statement? "Don't Breed or Buy while Shelter Animals Die!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the most important part of your post is

BUY RESPONSIBLY. However, you forgot to add in OWN RESPONSIBLY.

People always accuse BYB for being the reason the pounds and shelters are overflowing ... but frankly, its the irresponsible owners who just toss their dog (pure breed or mongrel) when they're tired of it that causes the problems.

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Dec 31, 2009, 4:24 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] What do you think of this sweeping statement? "Don't Breed or Buy while Shelter Animals Die!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Sashan,

It IS partly those breeders' fault because responsible breeders will properly vet each & every 'potential buyer' & some will even do home visitation to make SURE the puppies that they sell to are actually going to good homes. For example - And I think this is what you mean by "Own Responsibly" - We did this when we bred our own dog. Every buyer was scrutinized, their homes were checked, we STILL keep in touch with them, they come back for free OB training & we had contracts signed.

Responsible breeders do NOT sell to the 1st person that comes forward & offers them money. A good breeder gives a CONTRACT for the new owners to agree & to sign to PROTECT the puppy. For example, our b*tches are NOT allowed to be bred. They are also not allowed to be rehomed, dumped in a shelter or sold to another party for whatever reason. Some other breeders disallow de-clawing (for cats) & other clauses. Other breeders will withhold their certificate until the dog is neutered.

Rampant breeding begets rampant buying. This means "cincai-bochai" breeding (BYB) = "cincai-bochai" buying = "cincai-bochai" pet ownership. Easy come, easy go! That's why there are Pedigrees & mixed breed/mutts in the shelters.

However this does not apply to the street mongrels, they breed by themselves but they are also a result of "cinchai-bochai" pet ownership. Agree? :P

"Multi BIS (local) GreatGrowkenn Agnes CGC" is ranked #5 (all-breed) in Best Malaysian Bred Dog Of The Year 2010"

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Dec 31, 2009, 4:31 AM)

Sashan
Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2009, 7:33 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GoldenAddict] What do you think of this sweeping statement? "Don't Breed or Buy while Shelter Animals Die!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, those breeders are both very responsible about their dogs welfare, as well as being very responsible about their business :P Wouldnt want a million grandkids of their Kennel Champion running around after all, lose the exclusivity of his name :P

People who are serious about the breed, for show and work are different from people who just want them for a pet. There are irresponsible serious breeders out there of course, but mostly in rescue situations, its BYB, and people who want a status symbol dog, and most importantly IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERS who are involved. People shouldn't sell puppies like teddy bears or toys, and people also should not buy them because they look like a teddy bear. Then they get sick/genetically defected puppies, and the pups either a) die
b) get abandoned when the owner cant cope with something they didnt expect

GoldenAddict
Canine Addict

Dec 31, 2009, 9:20 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] What do you think of this sweeping statement? "Don't Breed or Buy while Shelter Animals Die!" [In reply to] Can't Post

You're correct. Many people buy dogs impulsively & majority of them are the ones who are contributing to the problem of homeless animals in shelters & in the streets. They will dump their dogs when they're sick & tired of them or when they can't afford to pay their medical bills or when they finally realized that dogs actually GROW UP into adults & will no longer look adorable like they used to when they were just "wittle" pups. These people don't realize that owning an animal is a big, lifetime commitment & they cost a lot of money just like when you raise a human child.

To anybody who's thinking of getting a new puppy, BEFORE you 'flash your plastic', you need to think 1st about what's going to happen when you bring that puppy home. What's going to happen 10 minutes after you place that puppy down inside your house. I guarantee you 100%, problems are going to start immediately!

The puppy is going to crap on your expenssive carpet, walk all over the place to sniff sniff sniff, then maybe chew a wire, a few minutes later, it urinates in a corner, then it finds something else to chew, then it plays in its water bowl & steps all over the house all dripping wet, leaving the floor & carpet all soaked, it urinates again on your expenssive carpet & it goes on & on. You get fed up with it, you throw it in it's crate or playpen. It starts screaming, demanding you to let it out. What are you going to do?

Same thing like for a 1-2 year old child, imagine the child not wearing pampers, walking all over the place or is in his cot, crying, screaming, yelling at the top of his lungs & defecating, putting things in his mouth including his own poop & he can't convey a single thing you're trying to say to him. What are you going to do?

There will always be sh*tting, peeing, bathing, cleaning, feeding, walking, exercising, training, grooming, medical attention, etc etc etc for the next 10-18 years! These are things that you have to be prepared for BEFORE you decide to bring a puppy home. You must already plan out on what to do when these problems arise. No point complaining that the puppy is making too much mess or too much noise, well because, that's what all puppies do!

Owners will dump these dogs because to them, they are too problematic. This is the reason why there are SO many abandoned pets in shelters.

(This post was edited by GoldenAddict on Dec 31, 2009, 10:19 PM)

Sashan
Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2009, 10:31 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2686 views)
Shortcut

SO TRUE
And puppies HATE being locked up/penned up. They can howl for absolute hrs. I only ever locked up my new pup max 3 nights, after that I hope she recognized her new home and don't run away :P

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my