Pet Sitting Services in Malaysia

littleblackstar
Novice

Oct 12, 2009, 9:28 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3020 views)
Shortcut
Pet Sitting Services in Malaysia Can't Post

Hello to all the pet owners out there

I'm doing a survey for my final year paper about the setting up of a pet sitting business in Malaysia.

We all know how worried we felt whenever we had to go on vacations and couldn't take our pets along with us. For this reason alone, my whole family seldom go on holidays together. So, wouldn't it be nice if there's someone who can take care of our pets in our own home when we are away?

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate it if you can help to fill in my little survey here.

Just click here: http://www.kwiksurveys.com/...veyID=OCJOL_e0a69931

Thank you very much!

wing0112
Dog Kichi

Oct 12, 2009, 4:35 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [littleblackstar] Pet Sitting Services in Malaysia [In reply to] Can't Post

had finish the survey but definetly would not like to have some1 come n stay at my house or to come my house to feed dog/clean & stuff like that/. i can get my neighbour to do it. so i am not sure whether this business will work or not.. still prefer the boarding way...

no hard feelings k.... just voice out my opinion....

littleblackstar
Novice

Oct 12, 2009, 6:41 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wing0112] Pet Sitting Services in Malaysia [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for helping me with my survey! Smile I really appreciate it!!

Yeah, what you said there was a real concern for most people. It takes a lot of trusts to let someone into your house when you are not home. The possibility of them stealing something...it is unnerving.

But pet sitting is actually very common in the US, UK and even Singapore. In the US, they even have a professional association for pet sitters! To make the pet owners feel less worried, pet sitters have to get themselves a licence and a "theft" insurance /bond. If you found something missing from your home and you suspect that the pet sitter took it, u can actually claim from the insurance company!

Maybe we can have something like this in Malaysia too. What do you think?

Plus boarding has a lot of disadvantages too like the possibility of them contracting diseases from other animals and the stress they feel from having to adapt to a new environment. I know that cats feel the most stress when they have to live in a new environment suddenly.

wing0112
Dog Kichi

Oct 13, 2009, 1:53 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3000 views)
Shortcut

well yeah as u say in other country but not msia... we r still lack of something...and even here also doesnt sell pets insurance... it will be great if we can buy pet insurance for our love ones especially there is so many backyard breeders and most of the puppy got disease or illness and most of the time need to be PTS due to insufficient fund to treat it....

anyhow i dun have cat so i dun know that they r stress up easily....and yups boarding sure will contract some disease but if ur dog been fully vac and an adult.. chances are slim.. u just need to find the right boarding home....

anyhow i do hope that u will be able to do this in msia... i think might have some small market for u.. just that do u have such worker a not...

good luck

littleblackstar
Novice

Oct 13, 2009, 4:08 AM

Post #5 of 8 (2998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wing0112] Pet Sitting Services in Malaysia [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, you are right...in Malaysia, we don't really have the facilities to do this yet...the pet industry is still quite small compared to other countries..

but i do hope we will have this kind of thing in the future..

for me, i couldn't put my dogs in boarding homes because they couldn't really get along with other dogs...they will fight for sure. because of this, there weren't many options left. then i started wondering if we can have this dog sitting thing in malaysia.

but how to get owners to trust pet sitters without insurance...hmmm....

anyway, thanks for the great insights, wing0112! it will help me a lot in my report

Knotidoc
Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2009, 5:51 AM

Post #6 of 8 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Pardon me for saying so, you are looking at the sky through a peep hole.

I am sure you have heard of home based boarding? There are such establishments if only you know how and where to look and of course the service offered is value for money.

House visit and pet sitting has potential but not feasible because it involved a fair amount of hiccups. For example, if an owner wanted you to pet sit a 3 year old GSD I doubt you would dare to go through the front gate without being mauled. If there is such a person who knows how to handle such a situation and is able to pacify the animal, you are in business.

No insurance company will indemnify you.

Opinion expressed may appear unorthodox & unconventional, sometimes even controversial but facts given are assured of their accuracy.

littleblackstar
Novice

Oct 13, 2009, 6:26 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Knotidoc] Pet Sitting Services in Malaysia [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, thanks for your comment!

Home-based boarding means leaving your pets at other people's homes right? Unless the person only takes care of your pets for the whole duration of the stay, the same problems will occur with other types of boarding like the possibility of fights, contracting diseases and stress of unfamiliar environment.

And what's to stop an aggresive GSD from being aggresive at the boarding home?

Maybe some kind of screening needs to be done before a pet sitter accepts a client. Like a house visit with the pet owner beforehand to familiarize herself with the temperament of the pet. The dog and the pet sitter can also get to know each other first so that the dog can accept her presence later.

What do you think?

I believe home-based boarding also do some kind of pet screening first before they agree to board any pets. They also need to protect their own safety.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 13, 2009, 3:31 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2974 views)
Shortcut

Wherever your dog goes even walking outside the house can be a risk of getting any disease/virus. The only way is to build the immune system of your dog. If the home boarding doesn't have any other dogs I would doubt their ability to take care of my pet well. You can try send to some relative's house if you are concerned bout it but whether they know how to deal with emergencies and issues or not is another question.

Nothing can stop a dog from being aggressive at another place. Be it pet sitter, home boarding, boarding kennels and so on, they will all do proper screening before accepting the 'job'. Nobody wants to be mauled the dogs esp when the owner is not around to command it. Proper introduction has to be done for sure but sometimes the dog can also hate just a particular person. From experience GSD is pretty easy to handle, it is the Molosser breeds particularly the mastiffs that you have to be really careful. Having own one myself I know it is not easy to leave that dog to anyone else and I doubt anyone would take the risk. They don't get too friendly even after a few introductions.

Lastly it also depends on how well the person knows how well the person can handle a dog. Some people are just plain lousy and are good at getting on the dog's nerves.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my