Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Certified groomer or foreigner?

Lil Ant
Novice

Aug 12, 2009, 10:26 AM

Post #1 of 16 (4308 views)
Shortcut
Certified groomer or foreigner? Can't Post

Regarding grooming, need to know if you guys are willing to pay, let's say RM80 - RM100 for a certified groomer to attend to your pet or pay less and settle for a foreigner to groom your pet?

icelads

Aug 14, 2009, 7:34 AM

Post #2 of 16 (4245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lil Ant] Certified groomer or foreigner? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Lil Ant, I don't understand y foreigner?? or certified groomer?? a foreigner in Malaysia can't be certified groomer??

k9groom
Novice

Aug 14, 2009, 9:47 AM

Post #3 of 16 (4238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icelads] Certified groomer or foreigner? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think what lil ant meant is that do u want your dog to be groomed by a school or association certified groomer, or do you want your dog to be groomed by some indon or myanmmar maid with no qualifications other than having some in house training by the boss or groomer.

However, the question asked can be misleading as foreigners don't always meant that they are bad in everything they do. Like in the U.S., certain grooming salons prized their Japanese groomers for their incredible grooming skills. The japanese are foreigners there too! So what is it you have meant by foreigners?

Lil Ant
Novice

Aug 14, 2009, 10:10 AM

Post #4 of 16 (4236 views)
Shortcut

No intentions of offending anyone... If I did so, truly sorry. What I meant by a certified groomer, meaning someone that has gone through a pet grooming course and has earned a cert. As in foreigner, meaning Indonesians or like, without qualifications as groomers. Not saying foreigners can't be certified. But those without.

Lil Ant
Novice

Aug 14, 2009, 10:18 AM

Post #5 of 16 (4233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [k9groom] Certified groomer or foreigner? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I do agree to what you have mentioned. My question as in foreigners are those who are not with skills. I've seen a foreign groomer in a pet shop hitting the dog even when it's muzzled, and not that the dog is about to bite, but just a lil jittery.

Lil Ant
Novice

Aug 14, 2009, 10:51 AM

Post #6 of 16 (4228 views)
Shortcut

To all reading my post,.. I have no intentions of offending anyone and I'm truly sorry if my question is offensive and misleading.

icelads

Aug 14, 2009, 5:34 PM

Post #7 of 16 (4220 views)
Shortcut

hi Lil Ant,

ic.., i'm not offended, but just didn't get ur question right at the 1st place.

to my opinion, i think most of the dog owner, they doesn't really know if the groomer is certified or not, right? we will give our kid to someone we think they r truely animal lover, and they treat our kid like theirs.

we also doesn't like the money eye certified groomer, right?

i think your question is very subjective. :)

k9groom
Novice

Aug 14, 2009, 7:13 PM

Post #8 of 16 (4215 views)
Shortcut

Your post is not offensive and your question is rightly asked. Most salons today rather exploits the means of cheap labour by employing unqualified foreigns maids to do their dirty jobs while keeping all profits for their own. The victim in the end is no other than the client(the dog involved). Most salons using foreign unqualified labours often has a cheaper grooming price than certified qualified proffesional groomers.

A Certified groomer's higher price is justifiable on the fact that the groomer went through all the required certifications and examinations to ensure that they have the required skills and knowledge to properly care and groom a pet. An unqualified groomer would lack all knowledge a groomer has to possess, like sanitation, hygiene, safety, first aid, breed standard, topical therapy, etc etc. Without all these knowlege, disease passes among dogs so easily because most skin problems are extremely contagious if not taken extra precautionary steps to ensure good hygiene, sanitation and sterilization. A good knowledge of first aid is extremely important in handling livestock, especially someone else's love ones, as an accident or a heart attack can occur anytime anywhere anyplace, in which the knowledge of first aid can possibly safe lives if acted immediately.

These are certain things unqualified groomers can never compete against certifed groomers. You would never choose an uncertified roadside doctor yourself for a couple of dollars cheaper, so why do so for your pet?

Lil Ant
Novice

Aug 14, 2009, 11:21 PM

Post #9 of 16 (4206 views)
Shortcut

Thanks to the both of you, icelads and k9groom for your opinions. Very much appreciated.

icelads

Aug 15, 2009, 2:34 AM

Post #10 of 16 (4184 views)
Shortcut

k9groom has his/her point here where certified groomer went thru the courses and examinations. But we can't penalised an uncertified roadside doctor, the uncertified roadside doctor may have 20 30 years of experience & knowledge in handle dog :)

what i mean is sometimes certificate doesn't mean someone acquired the knowledge.

k9groom
Novice

Aug 15, 2009, 3:57 AM

Post #11 of 16 (4180 views)
Shortcut

An uncertified doctor who has 20 to 30 years of experience and knowledge doesn't give him rights to treat people and diagnose disease. That is why we have rules and laws in our world. If in 100 uncertified doctors there is only 1 who genuinely has the skills to properly treat a person, what about those other 99 who just do it for the money? How can people tell the differences? And then that is why people created associations and certifications. So that people can tell who are those capable and who are those not. A certified profesional is bounded by their professions ethics and responsibilities. Like a certified doctor will always uphold the oath of hippocrates while a roadside doctor wouldn't give a damn if his medicine kills you or not.

To say certification is not important is an insult to all people who actually made the effort to get themselves certified so that they can serve the society better and to improve the quality of their proffesion. If like you have said certification is not important, how hard is it for someone to just set up a clinic and claims themselves a healer? Everyone can do it. Why the need to spend years in medical schools, or spend thousands on profesional courses? We'll just read some books, listen to some old experience granny talking about what they know, gain some experience on the expense of others, learn by trials and errors, and hey, we're called professionals!

Lil Ant
Novice

Aug 15, 2009, 4:33 AM

Post #12 of 16 (4174 views)
Shortcut

I think what k9groom meant by roadside doctors is,.. doctors for us humans and I somewhat agree to what k9groom has made known.

I wouldn't go to a unqualified doctor if I were ill and I would certainly not bring my dog to a unqualified vet as well.

It is true that a qualified groomer has gone through the required course and examinations thus having more knowledge that k9groom has mentioned. Unqualified or non-certified groomers learning from pet shops has less knowledge as to coat types, skin diseases, hygiene, etc etc. Not to say that they have no skills. But they might not know as much if we were to look at the bigger picture.

However, it's all up to individuals. Some prefer qualified and certified groomers and some wouldn't mind unqualified groomers but with experience.

icelads

Aug 15, 2009, 6:46 AM

Post #13 of 16 (4154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [k9groom] Certified groomer or foreigner? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear k9groom,

Sorry if my words insulted the certified professional. i myself obtained my certificates with sweat, blood and money. i really didn't say and mean to say certificate is not important. it certainly help me in my career now as the corporation really evaluate thru certificate but i know i don't have the experience and job knowledge which i need to learn from my senior who doesn't have cert. with cert, i got promoted faster than the senior. maybe with this encounter, i always remind myself to be humble.

uncertified doctor maybe is an extreme example which it will never happen in our country, certain professional are regulated by its association.

Please don't feel offended if you are certified groomer, you definitely have more privilege over the non-certified groomer. I think in malaysia more and more dog owners are aware of the grooming cert the groomers have.

forget about all the nonsense i said here, for me, i send my furkid to the "grooming House" at subang jaya, even they charge slightly higher compare to others. but i trusted them :)

groomers
New User

Aug 15, 2009, 10:41 AM

Post #14 of 16 (4142 views)
Shortcut

Dear Friends,

Experience and certification are both essential. If I would choose a groomer, I would take a little time to research her certification and experience. Certification to some simply means a piece of paper but a certified groomer requires time to learn and may have gone through certain tests and is with the impression of obtaining enough skill and knowledge with certain standard and ability.

Of course, we trust Malaysian Pet Groomers Association (MPGA) certification, National Dog Groomers Association Of America (NDGAA), International Pet Groomers Association (IPG) and Internatiopnal Society Of Canine Cosmetologist (ISCC). These are relevant association who require groomers to go through stringent tests.

Personally, I am with you K9 groomer. But a word of caution, please leave foreign nationalities out. (All humans are equal regardless of colour and creed). I trust government approved association cerified groomers but I definitely DO NOT trust pet place with foreign groomers=maids which is rampant in most pet place here. If you are going to spend your hard earn money on your dog's maintenance, you should look for a certified experience groomer rather than a maid from neighbouring country. Use your maid, why send your dog to another maid?

Dear IceLads,

I think you meant House Of Groomers.

Groomers poise

(This post was edited by groomers on Aug 15, 2009, 11:01 AM)

icelads

Aug 15, 2009, 7:32 PM

Post #15 of 16 (4122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groomers] Certified groomer or foreigner? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear groomers,

aiyaya..., i thought we can't promote any shop here? but i think they worth the credit. i'm not in this industry, i don't bother to study how stringent the associations rules and regulations. its my furkid told me that they are good :), and also from observation, how they carried themselves, and the job is carried out professionally! and ofcouse friendly!

all of these posts are just our little opinion, please don't take it personally. :)

groomers
New User

Sep 15, 2009, 12:19 AM

Post #16 of 16 (3398 views)
Shortcut

Ok Icelads! As long as you are happy! Don't worry, I am not offended in anyway, there is no reason to! Take care now!Wink
Groomers poise

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my