Home: Breed Specific: Toy Group:
Spits/Pom Shedding question

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009, 9:49 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3495 views)
Shortcut
Spits/Pom Shedding question Can't Post

When we adopted our spitz/pomeramian, she had a really thick, long furred, bushy tail, and nice thick fur

(see pics here www.petfinder.my/pets/4727/)

3 months down the road, her fur is stick very thick and silky, but feels a bit shorter than it used to be. Her tail has DEFINITELY gotten thinner. If you look at the pictures, she had a very long, golden fringe on her tail. That fringe has lessened, and is very thin now, even though its still long. The black bits at the side has grown, so her tail is more bushy, less long.
I'd take a picture but now she just wants to play play play and hop hop hop, so its a a bit difficult.

My question is, is this normal? Is she just shedding (she does shed a lot) and will her fur regrow? Her tail was really beautiful, now its skimpy, so sad. Do spitz/pomeranians shed their entire coat and regrow it over a period of time? Her body fur is still thick and shiny, just feels less dense than it used to be.

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Jul 17, 2009, 6:55 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] Spits/Pom Shedding question [In reply to] Can't Post

spitz shed regularly... if u will want to provide what is best for her fur, then u can consider to feed her barf, which is raw food... but of course it's costly... so what i do is that i mix between barf and also kibbles of good quality... bad quality kibbles will cause further shedding... and it's always good to give the fish cod oil... do ask your vet in the amount of fish cod oil to feed everyday... do not give more or less than the required dosage... shampoos and conditioners can do their bit also... so always get the best that u can afford...

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009, 9:32 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] Spits/Pom Shedding question [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they change their entire coat? Like will it go thin then regrow, then thin then regrow kind of thing

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Jul 22, 2009, 11:09 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3428 views)
Shortcut

the shed will not be very drastic... it will be little by little... but then even when they are shedding, you can see that the new fur is growing... meaning when u touch the body, u can feel the smooth new grown fur underneath...

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009, 2:35 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] Spits/Pom Shedding question [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right, her fur is starting to become thick and long again. Hehe, worried for nothing

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Jul 29, 2009, 4:31 AM

Post #6 of 6 (3376 views)
Shortcut

haha... you will get to know your doggie better as time goes by... if there are certain unusual signs or symptoms then it's advisable to get your vet's advice... :)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my