New puppy and the new dog owner

smartieschew
Novice

Jun 15, 2009, 7:57 AM

Post #1 of 12 (7084 views)
Shortcut
New puppy and the new dog owner Can't Post

Hi!

I am new in puppy.com and new in taking care of puppies/dogs.

I met a female mongrel puppy (I named her Happy) about 2 months ago in my friend's neighbourhood, when she was still under the care of the mother dog, together with 7 of her siblings. I guess she was about 4 weeks old that time and she was a stray. She was playing happily with all her siblings. I bought a bag of kibbles to feed them and play with them, and it's so fun to play with 8 puppies =). However, after 2 weeks, when I went there again but I was told that all her siblings were taken away (I am not too sure the detail of the story behind), and left Happy there, alone, with the mummy. Happy's legs were badly injured, and looked sad and lonely. I feel so sad and hard feeling to look at Happy. I tried to feed her, and she just ate a bit of the kibbles, because of the pain of her wound.

I visited Happy yesterday, and I am glad that Happy is almost recovered from the injury and being playful again. I decided to adopt Happy, hoping to give her a home , with tender loving care.

Happy is a bit skinny (since she was not able to compete those food with the adult dogs), but I saw she has a big stomach. So I think she needs to be dewormed. And she has fleas. I know there's a lot of effort needs to be put in to bring her back to a healthy condition.

I am a bit confused what to do, i.e when to give her the 1st vaccination, when to deworm her, when to spay her etc. I think it's a must to spay her since there are a lots of male dogs around my house, and I do not want her to get pregnant and end up with a lot of unwanted puppies.

I have read through some of the threads and I think I need some advices from forumers. Is there any good vet clinics around KL or Cheras area? I am a student, so I hope you can recommend me a vet which charged at reasonably and affordable price.

FYI, I predict Happy is around 2.5 or 3 months old.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 15, 2009, 3:59 PM

Post #2 of 12 (7075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smartieschew] New puppy and the new dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy can be dewormed and vaccinated now. Spay her at 6months old. Also do try to catch the mother dog to spay also so that you won't have another round of unwanted pups again. I don't know much vets in KL but my vet is in Puchong. He is very good and reasonable. If you can bring her there let me know and I will sponsor part of your spaying cost for both dogs.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

smartieschew
Novice

Jun 15, 2009, 6:10 PM

Post #3 of 12 (7067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] New puppy and the new dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! acsyen. Thanks for your reply. I am not too sure whether I can bring the mother along for spaying, since she is a stray and very afraid of human. She won't want to come near even I bring her the food and will run away when I try to approach her. But I'll keep trying. May I know how much does the vet in Puchong charged in vaccination, deworm and spaying?

I planned to send Happy to UPM Vet hospital (UVH; in Serdang) for the ordinary checkup, since I think it's under gov, I suppose they will charge at lower rate. May I know anyone of the forumers brought your pet to UVH before? How's the rate of vaccination, dewormed, spay a puppy in UVH?

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Jun 16, 2009, 6:10 AM

Post #4 of 12 (7053 views)
Shortcut

is cheap but the service is bad..they dun care abt ur dog..normally if u bring there ur dog will be examined by the student there..im not confident to those student as they juz take it as a 'experiment'..u r so kind..normally if u wan cheap n nice one i recommend u one in Old town..it doesnt look like a shop at all..the indian vet there is good..n affordable too..

is located @ Old town PJ..u know the siu chen ling temple?is juz a the junction be4 u turn into the temple..goto ne old sign board in front of the vet..it looks very old but is a experienced vet..he stays behind the shop too..not very high tech but they hv stuff like deworming..vaccinating..de-tick but spaying im not sure..u can try to bring ur dog to SPCA to spay..coz they oni charge rm60 for mongrel spaying..oni mongrel r allowed..no pedigree..after they spayed they will ask u to leave Happy there..but do not agree as the enviroment r not so cleam..u juz bring Happy home with a e-collar n take good care of it..vew days will recover edi..soo..good luck in taking care of Happy n may God bless u..

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Jun 16, 2009, 6:12 AM

Post #5 of 12 (7047 views)
Shortcut

btw..if cannot eat adult food then u juz get some puppy food n soak it with doggie milk..not human one yea..Tonguen if possible when he grows up..feed raw meat with vege/boiled chicken n egg too..ur dog will be healthy..

smartieschew
Novice

Jun 16, 2009, 6:53 PM

Post #6 of 12 (7034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_leehom517] New puppy and the new dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy is taking kibbles for puppy now. I normally will soak the kibbles in water before I feed her.

May I know the rate (reasonable) of vaccinating, deworm and spaying a pup in private clinic. I want to do some survey around KL and PJ area first before I bring Happy to the vet, to avoid some cut throat incidence from happening.

I have seen quite a lot of good comment on Dr. Prem from Brickfields vet center. Is he good? and charged reasonably?

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Jun 16, 2009, 7:31 PM

Post #7 of 12 (7032 views)
Shortcut

dunno..normally vaccination is 30-40..i go the the pet shop which i bought my dog..deworm i dunno..spaying normally 200-300..but spca 60//brickfield one im not sure..

smartieschew
Novice

Jun 17, 2009, 12:17 AM

Post #8 of 12 (7019 views)
Shortcut

As for my case, Happy was a stray. Besides vaccination and deworm, what are those checkup that I need to do? She has fleas and ticks but I will treat it myself with anti-flea and tick shampoo.

I was surfing through the net looking for information regarding on vaccination, deworm and spaying. Some dog lovers would feel that it is ok to bring the pet to gov clinic for vaccination and deworm, and will only need to bring the pet to private clinic for some health problems and injuries, since the vet in private clinics will do a better job.

I just dropped by vet hospital in UPM (UVH) just now, for enquiry. The staff at the counter is not helpful, and pretend like busy (duh...). At the same time there was a dog owner came to the counter and reporting that her dog refuse to eat for 2 weeks since the operation in UVH. From what I experienced today, I think I'll bring Happy to spay in private vet clinic, though it could be costly, I don't want to see those unexperienced vet students to torture my pet.

So now I am hoping to save a bit in vaccination and deworm, and wanted to find out whatever necessary check up needs to be done, as I expect those vet students will only do whatever are told.

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Jun 17, 2009, 6:16 PM

Post #9 of 12 (7007 views)
Shortcut

ya..if normal vaccination/deworming is ok..but spaying better go private vet..they won serve u wan..maybe u hv to pay more to get those senior vet there..Frown

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2009, 9:12 PM

Post #10 of 12 (7001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luv_leehom517] New puppy and the new dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you've already vaccinated and dewormed her, not much you have to worry about besides the fleas. Mongrels are a tough bunch, and don't come with hereditary problems.

Just be warned that the OTC shampoo is useless, you need to use the flea bath (can buy from the vet or petshop I think). Its pretty cheap, ~RM10 a bottle which can be used for a lot of washes. Read the directions carefully since a flea rinse can be toxic if its too concentrated :) For pups I normally use only a light solution on a wet dog, just to be safe. Otherwise you can get frontline or spot-on, but they can be pricy.

You need to spay her around 5 months of age, unless you want to wait until her first heat before spaying her. However its been concluded its perfectly safe to spay before first heat. I don't remember what that costs, perhaps Acsyen can help you since she is also in KL.

Other than that, love your dog, give her a comfortable home, and receive love in return :)

vostro73
New User

Jun 21, 2009, 3:25 AM

Post #11 of 12 (6961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sashan] New puppy and the new dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys, found this blog on the internet : http://creatures-inspired.blogspot.com/

I think it's from one of our Malaysian vets. Anyway, the information is quite good and interesting. They really showed photos before and after surgery.

smartieschew
Novice

Jun 21, 2009, 5:56 AM

Post #12 of 12 (6952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vostro73] New puppy and the new dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea, got Happy bathe with medicated shampoo for fleas and ticks which I bought from Pets Wonderland. It seems quite effective. A lot of the fleas and ticks were killed, but I think still need to bathe her again (2 weeks later) coz I still notice some on her body.

She didn't really give me much problem when bathing her in the bath room. She was just standing still, but I know she was very afraid (coz it was her 1st shower).

I will bring her for vaccination and deworm on Monday noon. Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my