Transporting for neutering

to_to
Novice

Jun 4, 2009, 11:19 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2081 views)
Shortcut
Transporting for neutering Can't Post

Hi,
Toto is getting territorial, and tried to perform magical escape routines.
We think neutering might help with the situation, but the nearest vet is a couple hours' drive away(We are at Kuala Terengganu).
Is there any method/drug for him to remain calm in a family sedan for such a trip?
Thanks.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Jun 6, 2009, 10:58 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [to_to] Transporting for neutering [In reply to] Can't Post

ur toto looks like an adult dog, age?
the neutering might reduce his urge to escape, but if he has done it before he might do it again, so u have to be extra watchful even after the neutering.

have some one sit with him in the car to calm him, i think tht is the best way, unless u can fit a carrier into ur sedan that can fit him....

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

Sashan
Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2009, 2:12 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Transporting for neutering [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually when I bring my dog to the vet its a 2 person thing, 1 sits behind and hugs the dog (who clambers around everywhere) and 1 drives. Maybe you could try getting him used to short drives first? And before going on a drive, bring him for a walk to pee and poo (prevent accidents in car), you can give him water on the way or when you arrive.
Once he is spayed he will be unconscious but he might start to wake up on the way back, so just put him on a cloth or basket in the back seat so he doesn't fall out

to_to
Novice

Jun 8, 2009, 10:25 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Transporting for neutering [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the replies.
Toto is about 1.5 years old and about 22kg, so he is quite hard to handle especially in a tight space.
We were thinking to starve him a bit, and use some treats to calm him.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 9, 2009, 12:47 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Your dog should not be eating after 8pm the night before surgery and also no water after 12midnight.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

luv_leehom517
K9 Maniac

Jun 9, 2009, 5:20 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2010 views)
Shortcut

ya..really need 2 ppl..unless ur dog get used /love car rides..bring ur dog out more dun oni go vet...go more to place like park/fun place..so ur dog will loves car ride..like mine..open the car she will jump up herself..dun put in cage in car..let it walk around at the back..or lie down on the floor..calm it down but patting it n talking to it with soft voice..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my