Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
hair problem

leemei
New User

Apr 15, 2009, 7:39 PM

Post #1 of 2 (842 views)
Shortcut
hair problem Can't Post

hello, i have a dog which is mixed and he has been 5 years here with my family.. he was having a severe hair lost problems 2 years back and we manage to treat that. after he recovered, he seems to be very healthy with much hair. but the problem is that our house is still full of his hair and i am not sure what is the cause.. when i combed his hair, it seems that his hair still drops a lot.. but his body is normal.. is it because of the food? and it is hard for me to bring him to the vet because we live in a small town

PangurBan
Old Kaki

Apr 15, 2009, 11:43 PM

Post #2 of 2 (833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leemei] hair problem [In reply to] Can't Post

There are several possibilities here. The initial hair loss problem sounds like it could be a fungal infection or the mange. I assume you found bald patches on the dog then. What you see now sounds like excessive shedding. On the other hand, this could be normal. Some dogs just shed loads. One possible cause for excessive shedding, if this is indeed the case, is diet. I would experiment with different kinds of food until you come up with something that produces results everyone is happy with. We're looking at introducing a variety of meats, bones, organs and all sorts of vegetables as well as different types of grains, not just rice, and esp not white polished rice. In the case of hair loss, supplementing the diet with high quality oils often helps - olive oil, fish oils or flaxseed oil (cheaper to buy flaxseed and grind it before tossing it in the dog's feeding bowl).

Vets often cannot give you much helpful advice on nutrition, but your dog's problem can still be due to some underlying skin condition, in which case you might find it helpful to consult a vet.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my