Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
Newbie who own Golden Retriever

alisonytt
Novice

Apr 10, 2009, 8:45 PM

Post #1 of 16 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Newbie who own Golden Retriever Can't Post

Hi, everyone. My name is Alison. I just bought a 4 months golden retriever named Chloe from Pet shop last Sunday. After bringing her home only saw ppl post some comment abt the harm of purchasing puppy from pet shop. I also quite worry whether Chloe is in good health condition or not. Should I bring her to vet for body check out or Am I too worry? ^^ Anyone can advise me??

Janz
Dog Kichi

Apr 11, 2009, 12:34 AM

Post #2 of 16 (1296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alisonytt] Newbie who own Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there...

Did the pet shop vac the puppy? How chloe doing? Active? Perhaps, u can bring her to the vet for check up juz as a step of precaution...
Frown Regards from Smarty (In Luving Memory) & Maxter Frown

alisonytt
Novice

Apr 11, 2009, 1:54 AM

Post #3 of 16 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Janz] Newbie who own Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup..Chloe has finished her 3 vaccination before I bought her home and got health care record from Nilai one. Erm..Quite weird why a Cheras pet shop owner send a puppy for vaccination in Nilai.

In the pet shop, Chloe was lived in a tiny show window which is enough for a small sized dog but not for moderate sized dog like Chloe. So Chloe got a bit weird when walking. And recently her foreleg got a bit lump and the coat over the area is gone. Dunno what happen with her. Is it the food problem?

Her eye contour also got red red one. Other than that, she is very happy and active once we let her come out and walk (Because my bf and I need to work, we got no choice so just put her in cage all the day).

Janz
Dog Kichi

Apr 11, 2009, 2:13 AM

Post #4 of 16 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Erm, im not sure but actualli they can faked the vaccination card wiz their regular vets... I think u shld bring Chloe for check up real soon... DO NOT TAKE THE "BIT LUMP" thingy lightly as it might lead to a serious problem laterFrown...

Btw, y dun u toilet train her or mayb paper train her? Its not good to keep her in the cage all dayUnsure.. Pls give her toys to play wiz while u not around... Dogs, they r like our own baby... Juz think how u wil treat ur baby, n tht how u treat them... pls dun get me wrong Crazy, tis is depend on individual.. tht's how i treat my boths dogs (shih tzus).. Maxter, the youngest is papar trained n he's NEVER in the cage even on the 1day back wiz me.. He cry wen we put him in at nite then we juz let him out.. hr did pee n poo everywhere (i beat him wiz paper rolls)... The next day i taught him to do his biz on the newspaper n there he goes... paper trained til now (he's 3yrs old now)..

Any pics of chloe? would love to c her... Pls keep us all update on chloe ya... take care

etienne
Novice

Apr 11, 2009, 3:50 AM

Post #5 of 16 (1277 views)
Shortcut

Petshop issues aside, here's one of the sites I visited to better undertstand the breed before considering a GR.

GR's are prone to seperation anxiety if left alone for too long. They eventually get depressed, turn destructive, and go mental . They also require vigorous daily excercise and perhaps agility training when older. This site also recommends that you only cage GR's for a maximum of 4 hours a day. Anything more is downright cruel. I don't mean to be direct but I don't know of any other way to say this. If you have to leave the dog alone all day, (undertand that you have to work, I work from home)caged and cooped then perhaps this breed is not suitable to your lifestyle.

If I were considering a Golden Retriever...

My major concerns would be:

1. Unstable temperaments. Golden Retrievers used to be about the safest breed you could buy in terms of a good-natured temperament, but sadly, this is no longer the case. Obedience instructors and behavioral consultants are seeing more and more Golden Retrievers who are painfully shy -- or dominant and aggressive. It's the unfortunate result of popularity that the typically glorious Golden Retriever temperament can no longer be taken for granted.

2. Providing enough exercise and mental stimulation. Golden Retrievers MUST have regular opportunities to vent their energy and do interesting things. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by becoming destructive. Bored Goldens can make a shambles of your house and yard.

If you simply want a pet for your family, and don't have the time or inclination to take your dog running or hiking or biking or swimming, or to get involved in agility (obstacle course), or advanced obedience, or tracking, or a similar canine activity, I do not recommend this breed.

3. Bounciness. Young Golden Retrievers (up to about three years old) romp and jump with great vigor, and things can go flying, including people.

If you have small children, or if you or anyone who lives with you is elderly or infirm, I do not recommend Golden Retriever puppies. The temptation to play roughly is simply too great with many young Golden Retrievers.

4. Separation anxiety. More than most other breeds, Golden Retrievers need a great deal of companionship and do not like being left alone for more than a few hours. They tend to express their unhappiness through destructive chewing and barking. If you work all day, this is not the breed for you.

5. Grooming. To keep their feathered coat free of mats, Golden Retrievers require regular brushing and combing, and occasional trimming.

6. Heavy shedding and doggy odor. Golden Retrievers shed a LOT. Their hairs come off on your hands when you pet them, stick tenaciously to your clothing, upholstery, and carpeting, and hide under the furniture. Be prepared for vacuuming. Also note that Golden Retrievers have a distinctive "doggy" odor to their skin and coat that some people find offensive.

7. Serious health problems. All retriever breeds are susceptible to joint and bone problems, and eye diseases. Because of overbreeding and poor breeding practices, Golden Retrievers are one of the riskiest breeds of all.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/...oldenretrievers.html

alisonytt
Novice

Apr 11, 2009, 8:22 AM

Post #6 of 16 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [etienne] Newbie who own Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the information. I'm not willing to see Chloe depressed and it's truth Chloe always be too excited and aggressive when I go back and release her from cage. She also not that obey when we calling her because she busy with playing with this and that. Today I take bath for her, she is fine but when we want to dry her coat, she didn't want to sit properly at all. Only the dog biscuit can let her sit down. Heiz..

But luckily she very respect elder and love baby. Athough she very agressive before we open the cage but she seems knowing that she cant jump to elder and baby. She will just sit down and let elder and baby touch her.

I will try to convince my bf to let Chloe stay inside the house instead of the cage.

wahthye
Dog Kichi

Apr 13, 2009, 11:30 PM

Post #7 of 16 (1230 views)
Shortcut

hello~

since shes already 4 months old.... u can send her to Puppy Training and Basic Obedience Training.

even though she respect elder and love baby; they still an animal. u know wht i mean rite.... make sure u always beside her when ur dog wt those ppl.

i think u can put ur dog inside a dry toilet better than a cage. (other option: wet kitchen, car porch, garden, or even en empty room for ur dog)

wahthye
Dog Kichi

Apr 13, 2009, 11:39 PM

Post #8 of 16 (1229 views)
Shortcut

last time my dog also a bit weird when walking.... i think he stay too long inside the cage n less exercise. then i sent him to vet for HD checkup. vet suspect he got minor HD, n will do another HD checkup when he grow bigger.

make sure ur dog is not over weight then.... and do more exercise wt her (but not running n jumping pls) walk will do.. Frown

remember feed her glucosamine for her bone.

i recommend u send her to c vet... for further advice from the vet

alisonytt
Novice

Apr 15, 2009, 7:29 AM

Post #9 of 16 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wahthye] Newbie who own Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya, I got join the Obedience Training Class that posted in here.. ^^ Last Sunday is our 1st lesson with Mr Ng. Now I more able to manage and understand Chloe.. Finally got the way to command her..

Besides, I also got brought her to vet last saturday, the vet said Chloe get tinea and shedding on the infected area. And recently my hand also feel very itchy and got red spot. Really dunno what to do now..

We got let her to come out from the cage often. During day time, she will playing in the car porch there...and always biting the slipper or shoe...And my bf have spent more time to play with her now and she become not tat aggressive eventually..^^

But problem now is my skin and her skin problem...Heiz...

alisonytt
Novice

Apr 15, 2009, 7:39 AM

Post #10 of 16 (1213 views)
Shortcut

Last Sat, we brought her to vet ad.. She got tinea and shedding in infected area. The vet got give us the medicine and a treatment shower foam. Just help her to clean up but she like to lie on the wet water and always get dirty. Then I will help her to clean up by using my hand, and now my hand also infected. Very itchy...Unsure

Last Sunday, we help her to bath. After Bathing we will let her be inside the house but she poo and pee everywhere. And once she know I'm looking her poo, she will poo in small size but in 3-4 times..Heiz.. Really annoying..Crazy

But we got join the obedience training course, just started last sunday also..^^ Now still learning how to take care of her and train her....Abt the photo, she always din look at my camera...Heiz..just got the side look...Tongue

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 15, 2009, 4:28 PM

Post #11 of 16 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [etienne] Newbie who own Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw your reply here. How are you doing with your pup. Saw your dog's pic in the other thread and she is gorgeous. The colour change is just amazing. We'll talk bout her in the other thread. Now I reply to this one first.

I totally agree with some of the pointers you post her. Especially on temperament. All dogs has to be trained properly. With the inbreeding and lousy breeding nowadays some GR's might be unpredictable too. I was badly bitten by one mad GR once but the origins, upbringing and background of the dog is unknown. My mistake of taking the dog in also after seeing signs of aggression.

All dogs especially this active breed needs a lot of exercise. It will help in chewing issues as they do that when they are too bored. And being hyper and mad when let out of cage is normal.Think of how you will react if you are kept in a cage for long hours in a day. the moment it is let out the dog will think it has found freedom..

Bounciness and separation anxiety can be curbed through proper training. Jumping dogs are dangerous to elders and kids especially the large breeds. So do train the dog properly.

Shedding is what GR owners must take.. Have a de shedding tool to recommend if anyone is interested.. You will be seriously thankful if you have that tool. Can check it out in www.furminator.com Check out the videos.

Lastly is the hips problems which is ever so common in this breed. And am glad to say raw feeding helps prevent a lot of this. Even notice the legs gets stronger When they are on raw. Have seen differences in adult dogs which has weak hips and now they can stand better and properly.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Janz
Dog Kichi

Apr 15, 2009, 6:08 PM

Post #12 of 16 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Dear Alison,

Remember to wash ur hand everytime u get contact wiz the infected parts of ur pup... She's stil a puppy n need a lot of patient n loving... Being patient is very important... Most of the dog owners who abondoned their dogs are due to impatient n get easily annoyed wiz their pets... Im not saying tht u wil do so, but i juz hope tht u wil stay patient n give lotsa attention n luv to ur pup... Talk to her as they understand our language...

alisonytt
Novice

Apr 16, 2009, 8:00 AM

Post #13 of 16 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Newbie who own Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Chloe's temperament is being stable now. I think she just being stressed up when she just went to a new environment. Or mayb i know the way to handle her bad habit now. ^^ Just update Chloe new status, We will let her come out in the car porch and she is free to do whatever she want in the day time, but of course when raining we will put her back to the cage. In night time, she know she have to get back to the cage without barking when saw we left her (cuz in our area got a lot of street dog and I worry my dog will being attack / pregnant). I think now she is adapted to our lifestyle. But she still will chewing thing, and I suspect she just wan to get our attention, cuz normally she wont chew thing when we are not around..Haha..^^

Sometime, when she is obey we will let her go inside the living room, and she will very obey when she come in also. Is it like a reward to her when she act good? When she very naughty, we will purposely dun wan to bother her and just go inside the house, she will stop chewing thing. Is it consider a punishment for her..I hope i get the right way to educate her..

alisonytt
Novice

Apr 16, 2009, 8:23 AM

Post #14 of 16 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Hi Janz,

Dun worry, I also understand abt ur concern. I love Chloe for sure I wont abondon her. Everyday I work also very miss her. Hope to finish work fastly and rush back home to see her and help her to clean up her poo.. Today just help her to bath and I do wash my hand but still the same. Still feel itchy.

Sometime when she is too naughty then I'll use my hand to slap her. Am I doing wrong? Do point me...

Oh ya, I should help her to brush teeth how often ah? Cuz i saw her teeth got a bit dirty.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 16, 2009, 2:14 PM

Post #15 of 16 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Keep your dog away from the stray's territory. She might get hurt if she goes into their territory. When she is 6 months old you should spay her to prevent any unwanted pregnancy and also it will be better for her health in future. I think by letting her into the hse when she is good is a great reward.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Janz
Dog Kichi

Apr 16, 2009, 6:14 PM

Post #16 of 16 (1160 views)
Shortcut

Frown yup... me too... Wen im at work, i wil miz them both... Usually during lunch time, i will sneak home to c if my boys r doing fine even they r big enough.. (10 yrs old & 3 yrs old)... Wen they c u, they r so excited n happy n keep jumping.. Its like din c u for yrs... hahahah... I wil go clean them up n also take off ur shirt for them as its already noon..

I think u have sensitive skin.. mayb u can buy dettol's brand to wash ur hand after get contact wiz chloe... As for the teeth, actualli i also dun knw how to brush them as they dun allow me to do so... i wil bring them to my vet... they wil keep still... Frown
Chloe is lucky to have u as her owner... All the best n keep us all updates ya... u take care...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my