Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
Bathing Shih Tzu

kelvingoh9
Novice

Jun 17, 2003, 1:22 AM

Post #1 of 12 (4362 views)
Shortcut
Bathing Shih Tzu Can't Post

Hey Guys,,, just want to know... How often should i bathe my shih tzu? He is about 4 months old. Thanks, i usually bathe him about 3-4 days once, and I noticed that his colour coat is getting lighter... Any ideas?

sharon
Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2003, 8:35 AM

Post #2 of 12 (4347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelvingoh9] Bathing Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I have a shih tzu too & I used to bathe for her every 2 days untill I was advised by the vet to bathe her once a week or every 10 days only Laugh

Regards,
Me & Makiyo

timmy
Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2003, 4:10 PM

Post #3 of 12 (4346 views)
Shortcut

hi kelvin, i have a 6 mth shih tzu, bath him once a wk, he is tri-color, the color did go lighter- but heard that its common for shih tzu color to be lighter.even i use a very gd brand of shampoo, give him cod liver oil everyday

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jun 18, 2003, 6:14 AM

Post #4 of 12 (4337 views)
Shortcut

hi kelvin,
once a week is more than enough and definitely their color will become lighter as they grow. if the dog lives inside the house and u keep it clean, u dont even have to bathe him once a week. once evry two weeks is ok..but if he's a messy little pup then no choice lah..but remember to brush n brush daily. recomend: bio groom protein lonolin and a good conditioner
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

emmanual
Dog Kichi

Jun 20, 2003, 9:39 AM

Post #5 of 12 (4322 views)
Shortcut

We do have shih-tzu about 11 months old. We bath him once in a week. Our shih- tzu are tri-color. Normally before goto bath apply olive oil on the coat. Leave it for 20 minutes then shower him/her with selected shampoos and conditioners.(use warm waters coz olive oil are cooling).
Then just dry blow. The coat will be shinner,soft,silky and the colour stays on the coat. Most important feed them lamb products for beautiful & shinner coats. Give them vitamins as recommended by yr vet.

till then bye,
esther/emmanual

ashley
ALPHA

Jul 4, 2003, 12:02 AM

Post #6 of 12 (4297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [emmanual] Bathing Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!!esther/emmanual
May i know u apply olive oil on the coat .The olive oil is home cook olive oil??Blush Just apply little bit to the whole body??cos my shitzu fur really not nice
Frown. what should i do ?? i give her eat the supplement for coat. so should i change the chicken kibble to Lamb and rice ??
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

sweeeng
ALPHA

Jul 4, 2003, 7:57 PM

Post #7 of 12 (4289 views)
Shortcut

I bath my shih tzu once a week. Sometime twice a week. Her colour also became lighter. Now .. she's about 4 years, her dark colour hair is starting to grow again..

Regards,
Swee Eng

FantasiaShihTzu
Novice

Jul 11, 2003, 8:31 AM

Post #8 of 12 (4277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweeeng] Bathing Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Here is my input on the subject!

Shih Tzu in coat should be bathed every 3-5 days if you want to keep them in show coat.

Cut downs can be a bathed every 1 to 2 weeks.

Use a GOOD quality dog shampoo like Vellus, #1 All Systems, etc. OR if ona budget Pantene works but REMEMBER to put consitioner on your shih tzu after shampoo!

As for oiling there are OILS for Dogs to keep them in oil like Pet Silk, Pure Pet, Summer Wind, Bio Groom, etc.

WHY use Olive Oil???? YUCK!

It is meant for eating not for oiling dogs coat! Also A coat once in oil can never be taken out of oil as the hair will MATT! So its usually better to not oilm and what are you saying about the oil making it cool or whatever? A dog in oil FEELS HOT, that's why they need to be on A/C a lot! In fact shih tzu should be in A/C because Malaysia is a hot country.

Breeder of BIS - BISS - BJIS - BBPIS - BBPISS, Champion and Grand Champion Shih Tzu.

kelvingoh9
Novice

Jul 21, 2003, 10:42 PM

Post #9 of 12 (4251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FantasiaShihTzu] Bathing Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Sweeeng Smile, Thank you very much for the input. SOrry for the late replyCrazy, was settling down at my new place in ampang. Benji seems to really like it here. I bring him for walks every evening at the park near my condo. Anway what do you mean coat and cut downs? and what type of conditioner should i use?

ritchie_dog
K9 Maniac

Jul 27, 2003, 6:06 AM

Post #10 of 12 (4232 views)
Shortcut

hi kelvin,

coat means the dog is in long hair like those show dogs leh, and cut down means the down is trim short or at least not so long lah...am i right swee eng??....as for conditioner, there's a brand called groomer's edge, it is a very good conditioner and its very concentrated..but i dont know whether they sell it in small quantity or not as i usually buy the almost 4 litre one...its a bit hard to get it else where but i usually got it from the petshop in ss19 or usj10...or u could try bio groom conditioner but forget about the brand essential i think...tht one doesnt work..
Lots of love to my beloved Ritchieboy who has left us on Jan 11 2004..May god bless him

joycet78

Jul 28, 2003, 4:03 AM

Post #11 of 12 (4227 views)
Shortcut

hi kelvingoh9,

Your baby only needs to take a weekly/ bi-monthly bath..... unless he goes outdoor-meaning plays at grassy/ sandy area...than more often..

otherwise especially rainny weather like now, its more than enough....
JT78

lynn1157
Novice

Jul 31, 2003, 5:31 AM

Post #12 of 12 (4211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joycet78] Bathing Shih Tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

zoey is 2. i bath her once a week.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my