I own a wonderful pug. Unfortunately he has had a host of skin problems! Frown

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 7, 2009, 1:54 AM

Post #2 of 20 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ozzyloh] Hi - I'm a new member [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ozzy,

i hv 2 pugs! ya wo pugs always have skin problem... what kind of problems ur sweet pug has?

tell us more abt ur puggies la... Cool

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

ozzyloh
Novice

Mar 8, 2009, 8:48 AM

Post #3 of 20 (2118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Hi - I'm a new member [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ai_ney
thanks 4 responding!
I bought Ozzy at 2 months. Then 1 month later he came out with 'pimples' that when he scratches, it bleeds!We were soooo worried! We took him to a vet.... no improvement... another vet.. nothing.... another... still no improvement....So much heartache!!!!!
So much medication ..... so much money ...... so much pain for my poor doggie and me.....
Can you help ? Please? He is now 1 year old and we love him soooo much!

ozzyloh
Novice

Mar 9, 2009, 6:57 AM

Post #4 of 20 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Hi again (anyone who's reading) n specially ai_ney
I have read past postings by various individuals and have gathered a lot of information from them!!! Thanks to all!!! I will try some of the remedies mentioned, especially the natural/herbal type!!!! My pug, Ozzy, had demodex (mange?) which seems to be under control at the moment. Right now his fur is dropping and his skin is turning black in patches!!! Been to several vets since we've got him. Present vet now says he's got fungal infection. On more medication!!! Frown
I'll try the 'bayam soup' for sure.
Ozzy is very intelligent and listens to commands and can 'sit', 'come' , 'fetch' and was toilet trained in 2 months. Say 'kai kai' and he goes to his leash and sits and waits patiently. Say 'are u hungry' and he waits outside the kithen if he wants his food. Clever huh?
Thanks all again!
Cheers n God Bless

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 11, 2009, 11:19 PM

Post #5 of 20 (2063 views)
Shortcut

hi again!

hmmm... so does Ozzy have mange or fungal infection or something else ar? it's really very headache to determine wat kind of skin problem our puggie has... if the vet is lousy, then lagi susah, they'll give u all sorts of medicine but still the pug's skin will not get better... Unsure

pugs are prone to allergies, n certain food may also cause allergic reaction, such as grains like corn, oatmeal, even rice! mayb u can try giving Ozzy grain-free kibbles, like Orijen Fish and Natural Balance... these brands are a little more expensive but it's for the pug's good... Wink

u read abt the bayam soup recipe? haha good... i've tried it n it really works for the hair to grow back, but it's not to cure any skin problem ya... Smile

where do u stay? so how old is Ozzy now?

Sookie's Photo Gallery

ozzyloh
Novice

Mar 12, 2009, 8:15 PM

Post #6 of 20 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Hi again ai_ney
Ozzy is 13 months old now n we r from Penang!Wink
Thanks for info on dog food to try out. At the moment I am giving him boiled chicken liver/gizzard/heart or pig's liver/heart with LOTS of vegetables with a bit of rice!!! I checked with the vet and he said it's good to give him this diet!!?? He now weighs almost 11kg!!! Maybe I'm feeding him too much??? He's getting FATTongue
As for his skin problem, the vet said his demodex has cleared for now but has a fungal infection now. Next vet's visit is this weekend, so we'll see what the vet says then.
We bath him 2 times a week with Benzoyl Peroxide/Micohex shampoo then apply tatic solution and leave to dry.
For now Ozzy's fur is dropping and his skin is turning black where the fur has dropped !Frown
Any ideas? You seem to have lots of experience since you have 2 puggies!!!
Thanks again for your info and advice.
Cheers

ten1711
New User

Mar 13, 2009, 12:34 AM

Post #7 of 20 (2042 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

?????

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 13, 2009, 11:07 PM

Post #8 of 20 (2020 views)
Shortcut

oh penang! so do u bring ozzy to the beach often? Smile

hmmm, u seem to be giving him only animal organs, what abt some meat? make sure the vege is chopped very fine or u can even grind them, otherwise dogs will not be able to process vege in their stomach if given whole...

i think ur diet is good too, just lacking some meat... hehe, not too good to let our pugs become too fat, ard 10kg is ok, but tat also depends on the pug... some pugs are slightly bigger in size... i know a pug that is 14kg but he's not fat, just long n bigger than the average pug... Sly

from my experience with fungal infection, make sure ur pug's hair are properly dried after bathing...

i've not heard of the shampoo u're using... n isn't tatic solution used for fleas n ticks treatment?? Crazy

my pugs shed a lot of hair too, but i think it's normal... is ozzy dropping hair abnormally a lot? i think the skin turning black is also fungal, but i'm not very sure... my pugs have black patches on their skin too...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

ozzyloh
Novice

Mar 14, 2009, 12:00 AM

Post #9 of 20 (2009 views)
Shortcut

Hi ai_ney
hmmmm no swimming in the sea cos the vet said the water is contaminated so it might aggravate Ozzy's skin problems! But I was told that sea water is good for the skin? So I don't know who to listen to! Any advice?
Oh I do give him minced chicken/pork as well and yes I do chop the veges finely!
As for drying his hair, we have to let it dry by itself cos of the 'tatic' application. According to the vet, tatic is for mange/demodex so...... To apply and leave it to dry! Meanwhile no licking by doggie!
So your Sookie and (other) don't have any major problems with their skin anymore? Lucky you!!!
Your puggies trained? Like respond to simple commands?
Thanks for sharing and take care
Cheers

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 17, 2009, 7:09 PM

Post #10 of 20 (1980 views)
Shortcut

hmmm, personally, i think sea water is good for the skin, but living in kl, i don't have much opportunity to take my dogs to the beach, so can't tell u if sea water works anot... but wat i know is most pugs hate to swim! haha!

my pugs do suffer from skin problems on n off... initially i do bring them to the vet, but i find it's a waste of money, because the medication prescribed will make my pug better for 2 weeks, then after finish all the pills, back to the old skin problem again...

so now i change their diet to a grain-free brand, try to bath them with shampoo that's milder/ gentler to the skin, give them bayam soup, make sure they are properly dried after bath... just try things based on trial n error since the vet also cannot determine what's the cause of the skin problem...

it's very important to find a vet that knows what he/she is doing, becoz i've met so many vets tat just doesn't pass (in my view, at least)...

sookie is not trained, but knows where to pee n poo in the house... the other one is kopi-o (he's so black!), he knows sit n come, especially when i hv food in hand!

Sookie's Photo Gallery

wendy_lee
Novice

Mar 17, 2009, 7:58 PM

Post #11 of 20 (1977 views)
Shortcut

i hav a question. did u leave ur pug in an air-conditioned room? cos i have seen my bf aunty leave her pugs 24 hours inside air conditioned atmosphere and they never gt any skin problem at all. She only giv them to eat kibbles lik Pedigree but she giv them supplements. Her pug is in a very good condition.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 17, 2009, 8:07 PM

Post #12 of 20 (1975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wendy_lee] Hi - I'm a new member [In reply to] Can't Post

hi wendy,

no, 24 hrs in an air-cond room means no fresh air...

sometimes the skin problem is genetic, but pugs are memang prone to skin problems/ highly allergic to certain things... for those who has pugs without skin problem are really lucky... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

wendy_lee
Novice

Mar 17, 2009, 8:08 PM

Post #13 of 20 (1974 views)
Shortcut

owh.. ok. got it. Laugh

ozzyloh
Novice

Mar 30, 2009, 11:06 PM

Post #14 of 20 (1906 views)
Shortcut

Hi again ai_ney
Sorry for the lapse - been kinda busy!
I know what you mean about vets Frown When Ozzy first showed signs of skin problems, I took him to a few vets that I found totally unsatisfactory!!! Then I found one through a friend that was good but he was too far from where I stay!! Now I go to one that is also good and nearer to my house!! Ozzy's skin problems, especially the demodex has cleared upFrown
The only problem now is the black bald patches on his skinFrown
Do your furkids bark a lot? Ozzy does not bark at all except a few gruff 'woof'' woof' when he hears strange noises. Anybody who comes, he welcomes them with so much tail-wagging and licking!! Frown Aiyo can you imagine if a robber comes hahahaah!Mad
By the way how are Sookie n Kopi-O? And you too of course hehe!

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2009, 1:14 AM

Post #15 of 20 (1890 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

try the bayam soup recipe to help ozzy's hair to grow back... Wink

pugs don't tend to bark a lot, that's why they are suitable to stay in condo/apt... sookie will bark if people are noisy outside my unit, or when she hears 'strange noises' like the ice-cream man's bell, motorbike's loud vroom vroom, etc... haha... kopi-o will bark at stray dogs when he sees one during his walk... Tongue

both of them still got skin problem la... scratch scratch scratch... perhaps it's time to go to the vet to get a course of medication for the itching to cool down... Unsure

Sookie's Photo Gallery

ozzyloh
Novice

Apr 3, 2009, 8:23 AM

Post #16 of 20 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Hi ai_ney
Ya I think our furkids are the best where barking (or lack of it) is concernedFrown MinimumSmile
I have just started the bayam soup for Ozzy and I guess it will take a while for the effects to showUnsure
For 'itchy skin' that my vet recommends is 'anti-histamine' tablets which I gave to Ozzy and I found that it really worksSmile Every time I see him scratch excessively, I give him 2 tablets and he stops when the medicine 'kicks in' Frown
At the moment Ozzy seems to have recovered from the domodex problem but I don't know when it will surface againFrown According to the vet ANYTHING can cause it to recur Unsure
But for now I am just happy that my furkid is free from daily medication, eating well (read GREEDY) and healthy Frown
Hope your Sookie and Kopi-O get over their skin problems too.
Take care and God Bless
Cheers to you

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 3, 2009, 7:22 PM

Post #17 of 20 (1833 views)
Shortcut

ya the bayam soup will take abt a week or 2 then u see the hair will grow back n in Sookie's case, she shed much less hair for a week after given bayam soup, then will return to normal shedding...

pls join us in Malaysia Pug Club, www.pugslife.org/group/malaysiapugclub... trying to organise a picnic for our puggies this coming 25Apr... would be great if u n Ozzy could join... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

looi
Novice

Apr 18, 2009, 12:02 AM

Post #18 of 20 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Hi, i go through all the conversation, i have 1 opinion it may help you. first, give cheap dog food due to some the protein is too high will course the skin problem. don give rice or oily food.

second, make a bath tab, mixed water with some tactics and let it about 5 minute. after that let it dry under the sun about ten minutes. do it every twice per week. you will see the result in 1 month.

Hope this can you you

ozzyloh
Novice

Apr 18, 2009, 8:27 AM

Post #19 of 20 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Hi ai_ney
Ozzy is much much better except for some bald black patches on his skinWink His appetite is also very good!
I now cook his food with lots of chopped bayam, carrots and other vege - saves me time to cook bayam soup separately! Same ka? Can work or not? Well, I'll know in a few weeks and I'll let you know.
M'sia Pugs Club that you mentioned, I did visit the site but I don't see your name there. What name did you use? The doggie 'party' that you mentioned will be in KL but I am in PenangFrown
Hope your Sookie and Kopi-O are fine and free of more skin problems!!!!
Take care and have fun at the doggie 'party'Frown

ozzyloh
Novice

Apr 18, 2009, 8:35 AM

Post #20 of 20 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [looi] Hi - I'm a new member [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Looi
Thanks for tips on food!!
I do give Ozzy a bath twice a week with application of tatic and 'sun dried' but it takes hours for him to be dry!!!
Like I mentioned above, his only skin problem now is bald black patchesFrown Any idea what causes this condition? By the way I assume you also have a pug? If not what breed do you have?
Thanks again
Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my