Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
Getting A New Puppy

amyloves
Novice

Jan 29, 2009, 9:50 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4659 views)
Shortcut
Getting A New Puppy Can't Post

im planing to get a new puppy soon.i've reserach on suitable dog breeds and i think im gonna get a shih tzu.this is my first time having a puppy =)

one of my main concern is leaving the puppy at home for long hours.im still studying so i wont be around from 7.30am to 4.30pm.i cant possibly leave the poor pup in the kennel for 9 hours can i?my dad wont come back from this work till 8pm.i dont have other family member around during this particular period.

but my dad comes home for lunch in the afternoon.is it ok to leave the pup in the kennel and let it out to pee during the afternoon and ptu it back in till i come home?

i though of leaving in the pup in a enclose area with a litter tray/box/old newspaper near the bathroom so it can pee when it wants to.will it affect the crate training process??or is there another way to leave the puppy at home for long hours???

thanks =)

Update : im also considering about getting a chihuahua,preferably a long coat chihuahua.but i heard that chihuahua are hard to house break and train??stubborn lil dogs =/

(This post was edited by amyloves on Jan 31, 2009, 12:49 AM)

rayter
Dog Kichi

Jan 30, 2009, 8:00 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amyloves] Getting A New Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

i personally think that puppy should not be left alone for a long time. it can cause anxiety. maybe you can leave your pup to a daycare center or something.

good luck!

Frown
"A dog is a heart beat, at my feet."
Pet Articles | Bark Collars | Bark Control Collar
Training Collar | Pet Supplies | Dog Supply

Unykorne
Novice

Mar 22, 2009, 4:28 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amyloves] Getting A New Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the best thing to do is get a time in the year that you don't have work to worry about example if you don't work at summer get one at the start so you have all summer long to train your little devil

FrownFrown
Someone hates Marry Poppens

amyloves
Novice

Mar 22, 2009, 6:59 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unykorne] Getting A New Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for the advice =)

i bought a mini poodle last month and he's call Toby.he's light brown male poodle.im putting him in the cage when nobody's home.after he's older i will let him run free in the living room when nobody's home.hopefully he wont chew up all the stuff in my house.i do take him for walks and sometimes a short trip to the pet shop for some supplies.he spends quite some time alone at home in the cage but he seems to be doing fine.i put in fresh water,food and some toys in the cage.
Attachments: 090213_192426.jpg (30.0 KB)
  090227_175905.jpg (21.9 KB)

curryalib
Novice

Mar 25, 2009, 8:06 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rayter] Getting A New Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

ya, i agree with Rayter statement, puppy will be scare if alone in house always, they will start to bark and bite everything in ur house.

Frown Join me and earn more MC$ Frown

Unykorne
Novice

Mar 26, 2009, 2:23 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [curryalib] Getting A New Puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

You really need to be careful when you let him out give him small spaces at a time if you place your crate in the kitchen give him the kitchen when your gone each month or so give him another room.

FrownFrown
Someone hates Marry Poppens

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my