IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Hundred of Fleas!!!

shervin

Jan 11, 2009, 6:50 AM

Post #1 of 17 (39244 views)
Shortcut
Hundred of Fleas!!! Can't Post

My schnauzer keep licking and biting his body since last week...found nothing although I've checked him few times. Until today.....I found hundreds of fleas!!! Which can jump and move instantly!! Help!!!

How am I going to cure it? I seldom bring him to walk as i worry that he might get flea/tick. The most recent walking was 2-3 weeks ago!!!

My questions are:

1.Does fleas bite human?
2.How to cure and prevent from flea?
3.Any product suggested? For dog, human and environment?

Pity my Stitch now. His whole body cover with scar, reddish, and he is very very itchy!! The more he scratch, lick or bite, the itchier he get!!!

Please help me....really don't wan to see him sugger from fleas...he just got better from eczema... :~(

Thank you in advance for the kind helping info/advice~

Shervin
On-behalf of StitchFrownFrownFrownFrown

FLK

Jan 13, 2009, 6:50 PM

Post #2 of 17 (39208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shervin] Hundred of Fleas!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Fleas will bite human too.

2. You can either :

a) use frontline to spray on Stitch (if the dog is more than 3 weeks old)

b) use tacktick 1 1/2 cup to dilute with 2 litter water and spray on Stitch's body after bathing (if the dog is more than 1 year old)

c) buy a tick collar for Stitch.

d) use Bio Spot to spray on Stitch's body if the dog is more than 1 year old.

3. For your infor, there are a lot of others product too in the market too.

kelwts
Dog Kichi

Jan 19, 2009, 9:32 PM

Post #3 of 17 (39133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FLK] Hundred of Fleas!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi FLK ,

I think you made a typing error . It should be 1 1/2 CAPS instead of Cups .

Regards

Kelwts

In Reply To
1. Fleas will bite human too.

2. You can either :

a) use frontline to spray on Stitch (if the dog is more than 3 weeks old)

b) use tacktick 1 1/2 cup to dilute with 2 litter water and spray on Stitch's body after bathing (if the dog is more than 1 year old)

c) buy a tick collar for Stitch.

d) use Bio Spot to spray on Stitch's body if the dog is more than 1 year old.

3. For your infor, there are a lot of others product too in the market too.

j[X
Novice

Feb 7, 2009, 6:41 PM

Post #4 of 17 (38902 views)
Shortcut

Don't know if this works for you.. I'm still in experimental phase with Twinkie. She got a few fleas after I walked her at the park.. Checked online for natural remedy and I've tried it.

- Slice a lemon

- Boil a pint of water (about 430ml)

-Put the lemon slices into the boiled water and cover it overnight

-After bathing your furkid, sponge the lemon tea over his/her skin and fur

It's supposed to kill fleas and its eggs too.. Good luck!

oreofoong
Novice

Feb 20, 2010, 7:49 PM

Post #5 of 17 (36706 views)
Shortcut

Hi Shervin,

It has been a while since you posted for help to cure your dog. So, have you applied the method suggested by FLK ? Does it work ?

I think my dog has been infected by fleas these few days...and now looking for an immediate best treatment on him !!

Thanks for your advice

Thanks again to all dog lovers

Jennifer Leong
Novice

Jul 13, 2010, 11:39 PM

Post #6 of 17 (36322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oreofoong] Hundred of Fleas!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The best till far is still Frontline Spot On (Combo). I swear by it. 2 of my dogs have no issues on ticks/fleas. If your dog is having itch on the body, i suggest a miracle solution for your precious one. This solution helps to kills the bacteria and heals the dog naturally and trust me, its inexpensive compared to those sold by the vets and petshop suppliers.

Sheryl
Novice

Apr 21, 2011, 6:24 AM

Post #7 of 17 (35323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jennifer Leong] Hundred of Fleas!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi guys,

After having read many pages on this forum, i have started trying 2 recommendations on my darling shih tzu that seems to work good.

Background - A few weeks ago i discovered fleas on my shih tzu. This is something that has never happened on her before. Ticks yes, but fleas are strange. I am concerned abt this because she had tick infection that almost cost her life and as much as i understand, serious case of fleas infestations can be life-threatening.

So what i do is:

1. Cut lemon into thin slices and steep them in almost boiling water overnight and use the water after bath the next day. Strangely, I never see any fleas thereafter. And this is immediate. I am not sure then if this is co-incidence or what? But it just happens!

2. Mix some drops of Eucalyptus oil (i cannot find green parot brand that is said in this forum so i bought Kangaroos brand) in water and mop my room after first round of cleaning. The smells is good, and it does not stay for long, so it is ok.

I love the above 2 recommendations because they are ALL NATURAL.

I know that Spot-On may help but i am trying on something natural and less costly now. And it seems it works perfectly.

And yes, I also give her Apple Cider Vineger (ACV) after her daily meal. It claims to boost up her health and helps with her skin. ACV may taste a bit hard on her but as it is good for her i always make sure that she finishes everything in her bowl.

What i do is that if i hv nothing more exciting for her i will add some honey with it. Otherwise i will add ACV with apple or anything so that it makes it much easier for her to finish everything. She simply loves to eat! :)

You may like to try this. ACV is not really that ex - one big bottle is about RM 21+ and for small breed it can really last for a long time.

bubbles2004
Novice

Aug 7, 2012, 12:38 AM

Post #8 of 17 (16728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sheryl] Hundred of Fleas!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Guys n Gals,

Where can I get Eucalyptus oil ?

TQ !

Sheryl
Novice

Aug 7, 2012, 2:40 AM

Post #9 of 17 (16725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bubbles2004] Hundred of Fleas!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bubbles,

You can buy Eucalyptus Oil from shops like Watson. I saw that in chinese medical halls as well that day.

Last time I got it from the convenience shop - Watson. This is not really a tough thing to find, you shd be able to get it.

My experience is that Eucalyptus Oil is to provide a non-conducive environment for fleas, but most important is to get rid of fleas on your pets, as well as your house environment, such as compound outside.

I read from somewhere that if you find 10 fleas on your pets, there will be more in your home.

In case if you have fleas on pets, the fleas may get onto humans, and trust me, it is very itchy.

For medicine, you can get from pharmacy.

When your pets have fleas, beside fleas you will find fleas' faeces that look like black dandrafts.

Hope the above helps!

In Reply To

bubbles2004
Novice

Aug 7, 2012, 7:33 AM

Post #10 of 17 (16715 views)
Shortcut

Hi Sheryl,

Thanks for your valuable information. Frown

I have managed to buy Eucalyptus oil from Caring Pharmacy & Uniflex-N cream to cure itchiness and fleas bites all over my legs.

I think situation is very serious until my whole family also infected.

So immediately bath my GR with ticks & fleas shampoo and apply some Eucalyptus oil on my GR body. Frown

Cleaned and mock my whole floor with the oil also. Also bought some lemons and already prepared the lemon water and will leave overnite and bath my GR with the lemon water tomorrow.

For the past 3 months, GR was ok until these few days. My neighbor 2 dogs also infected.

Not sure if it is because of the grass on my compound ?! Frown
Any solutions apart from cementing my compound ?

Sheryl
Novice

Aug 7, 2012, 8:49 PM

Post #11 of 17 (16702 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bubbles,

It is my pleasure to be of help to you, using information that I know from my experiences.

In fact, your mail went into junk box, I was a bit hesitating abt whether to open it as you know there are many mails look like from reliable source but they contain viruses.

Anyway,....

Regarding this flea issue, so far I have 2 experiences already. The first time was not that bad, and I used Fucicort (i think only pure antibiotic). But the recent case was pretty bad. Initially I thought it would be ok after a while but the itchiness got really very bad that I 'tak boleh tahan' but to go pharmacy to buy medicine.

Those flea bites are mostly on my feet below ankles, some on my waist area.

The second time I bought Synalar-N, which costs abt MYR 20+. The pharmacist introduced to me another type that costs MYR 30+ but I didnt buy it, she said it is better...oh well...

I have never used ticks and fleas shampoo before but rely on natural remedies like lemon...and I have never tried applying Eucalyptus oil on dogs,....errrmmmmmmmm...........can ah?
Shocked

As for using the oil to mop floor, there is a certain percentage that I read from blog posts here, but i cant remember lah....i just pour....

It seems to me that flea infection is kind of seasonal. And when it happens, it happens just like that,....then it disappears........

Flea bites are itching on humans, for dogs, I believe the same too....it will cause itchiness on their bodies, as far as I understand...

But be careful of ticks, cos in serious case it can cause tick infection and may cost the life of your dogs. So watch out for ticks, even 1 tick can be dangerous.

My darling dog had tick infection before,....almost cost her life, but thankfully i managed to save her,...she went through blood tranfusion...Pay attention to your dog, if he/she behaves tired, check on his/her lower eye lid (pull down the lower eye lids to check the colour) to see if the colour turn bloodless (meaning lack of blood), and check on his/her tongue. If the tongue appears 'bloodless', it could be tick infection.

Cementing your compound will be quite a pity (for me i love grass). Maybe you can check on web to see if there are other natural remedies for this?

What i did was to pour the after-mopped water with Eucalyptus oil on outside floor to help with the situation.

Maybe for now you have to keep your GR inside your house meantime until situation gets better...i would presume that outside has higher chance of getting fleas....

You just have your GR for 3 mths?

In Reply To

Sheryl
Novice

Aug 7, 2012, 9:13 PM

Post #12 of 17 (16701 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bubbles,

Some additional notes for you:

Some days ago i had some kind of strange infection on my palm, it started with small bubbles (contains water inside) like thing then gradually it becomes reddish...It is not itching but painful when i that area come into contact with something, like washing clothes....

I bought J.B. Nature Herbs Cream from chinese medical shop...as recommended by the shop assistant, within 3 days those bubbles dried up and within a week it cures.

I am not sure whether it will work on itchiness caused by fleas but in case your current oilment does not work, or maybe for next time.....erhem.....

I bought it from a medical shop nearby my house (I stay in Johor Bahru), so it may not be available in your neighbour, but I just would like to share with you abt this med (and there is no guarantte that this will work but i see that the instruction that says:

"Traditionally used for reducing itchiness, minor swellings, itch associated with insect bites, minor burns, minor cuts and to hlep maintaining healty skin."

It costs only RM 12 for 12 grams.

Bubbles, may I know where do you stay?

I think you love dogs, do you know that there are many dogs which we would like to share with our pets that can be dangerous for them? Share with you this link which I find very helpful:

blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/animals-vegetarianism/16-things-a-dog-cant-eat.html

Try not to scratch flea bites on your body, because it leaves awful scars,....if you really tak boleh tahan, scratch those areas with knucles....

bubbles2004
Novice

Aug 9, 2012, 2:13 AM

Post #13 of 17 (16691 views)
Shortcut

My GR is about 8 months old. When I got her, was about 5 months old.

After spraying lemon water on my gr, hopefully all ticks n fleas will be gone. But it was free of ticks n fleas already after I put few drops of Eucalyptus oil on gr skin. So i think the oil is very effective.

Not only on dogs, but human too !!! Cleaned with the oil, now 2 days already, none of my family members complain being bitten by the fleas.....

Frown

TQ all for sharing valuable info on natural repellent ........ Frown

Sheryl
Novice

Aug 9, 2012, 5:13 AM

Post #14 of 17 (16686 views)
Shortcut

Welcome Bubbles!

For lemon water, wht i did was to pour bit on her coat AFTER shower and did some massages so that the lemon water will get beneath her coat. I am not sure about spraying on coat,....because fleas lie under coat, right?

Good luck with your work!

You have a beautiful GR. Smile

Ange
Dog Kichi

Aug 12, 2012, 3:18 AM

Post #15 of 17 (16650 views)
Shortcut

I use Spot On for both my furkids, recommended by the vet.

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

bubbles2004
Novice

Sep 30, 2012, 9:16 AM

Post #16 of 17 (13903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ange] Hundred of Fleas!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just google Spot On and found this ....

healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/02/29/spot-on-package-labeling-for-pet-products.aspx

bubbles2004
Novice

Sep 30, 2012, 9:41 AM

Post #17 of 17 (13898 views)
Shortcut

Red Alert Frown ...... fleas invasion (2nd wave) after 2 months apart ......

This time very serious ...I can see ticks n fleas crawling on my furkid and also start invading my sofa, unfolded clothes and my living hall.

My wife start shouting and killing the ticks whenever see one in our living room Unsure

The day before I did use the lemon water but not very effective this time, maybe too many of them.

So, ran over to the nearest pet shop and recommended 2 products to me 1) Frontline Spray 2) non-label small bottle of anti tick/fleas solutions (I suspected is the water based solution for termites after I bought it)

So bought the 2nd one because they said is more effective ......

So after mixed with water, spray my furkid and entire house including sofas. And the ticks started coming out from the hiding.......

Spent the whole Sat cleaning and spraying ....will bath furkid with the solution tomorrow morning.

Just google and found that ticks/fleas can be prevented by taking tablets.

Want to ask if this can be bought here in Klang Valley ?http://www.petsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/Dog-Supplies/Dog-Medications/Comfortis-c109/

Today (sunday) is a busy day again for me to fight the ticks ........

[smash]

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my