Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Before Getting a Dog:
need advice before getting a Golden Retriever :D thanks!

bluerain
Novice

Oct 31, 2008, 7:24 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1639 views)
Shortcut
need advice before getting a Golden Retriever :D thanks! Can't Post

Hello !
I am considering of getting a GR Frown
but before that, i have several questions..
i'm a super newbie in GR.. Blush

1. where to get "real" GRs?
Frown i'm really scared of getting a mixed / GL instead of a GR.. i will take in whatever the petshop ppl say.. and i'm not really good at hagglling $$ for a living thing! well, 1 thing for sure is that it costs around 1-2K.

2. what's with all these champion linage etc thingys? Does it give the pup an extra ummph?

3. what is the optimal age to get the pup since GR has high risk of getting hip dysplasias and cataract? how to check that they are ok from it?

4. where and how to train them?

5. Since it's not safe to buy from a petshop; fearing of distemper disease; is it safe to buy online?
Frown
becoz... i see many of pictures looks like they were taken from the petshop!

6. What should i look at when buying/getting the pup? the fur? the hips? the eyes?

Laugh thanks in advanced!!
Frown

(This post was edited by bluerain on Oct 31, 2008, 7:27 AM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 31, 2008, 4:35 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluerain] need advice before getting a Golden Retriever :D thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I am glad you are doing some research from the heritage disease point of view. I am no expert in GR too and will just answer you through my experiences.

1. where to get "real" GRs?
i'm really scared of getting a mixed / GL instead of a GR.. i will take in whatever the petshop ppl say.. and i'm not really good at hagglling $$ for a living thing! well, 1 thing for sure is that it costs around 1-2K.

To be sure on real GRs adopt an adult one and you won't get this mixed breed problem. Furthermore when they are adult you can see whether they have HD or not at this stage. Buying from pet shop is definitely the lousiest choice you can make. There is totally no guarantees on what the dog might have or how it turns out to be in future.

2. what's with all these champion linage etc thingys? Does it give the pup an extra ummph?

I don't know bout all these lineage thingy.. Unless you are going for show then maybe you can check those out. A dog will still be a dog no matter what and no matter what lineage I still spay/neuter them.

3. what is the optimal age to get the pup since GR has high risk of getting hip dysplasias and cataract? how to check that they are ok from it?

Very hard to tell when they are young. Maybe looking at parents will help a bit. I am going to read a book on how to avoid this problems when we are raising a pup. Will tell you if I got any good information on it.

4. where and how to train them?

I have always supported positive reinforcement training. So I would recommend Cheng See 012-2584315. i don't really trust other trainers.

5. Since it's not safe to buy from a petshop; fearing of distemper disease; is it safe to buy online?

becoz... i see many of pictures looks like they were taken from the petshop!

That is even worst. My fren bought a toy poodle online and that dog is just starting to have teeth and can hardly move. End up it has to be hospitalised for 2 weeks.

6. What should i look at when buying/getting the pup? the fur? the hips? the eyes?

This is what I am not sure. You have to do research for yourself. You should also consider the time you have for the new dog and pups needs more attention. And also if you can stand lotsa shedding all over your house, unless you want to put your dog outside and risk it being stolen. Lastly you have to make a commitment of at least 12-16 yrs to the dog.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

bluerain
Novice

Oct 31, 2008, 7:05 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] need advice before getting a Golden Retriever :D thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink thanks!!! Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my