wenping
New User

Oct 27, 2008, 11:48 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2488 views)
Shortcut
which dog breeds are suitable as companion Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm currently not a dog owner.

I have plan to get a dog suitable for my parents as companion. Hope to hear some advices from experience members in this forum on the suitable breeds.

Here are some of the "requirements":

1. Its main task is to "accompany" my old parents.

2. It should be a breed that can be trained to be "dr. dog" (animal therapy, but I don't know if there is such training available locally).

3. Preferably not too much shedding. Short fur.

I live in a corner lot terrace house, so there is couple of hundred sq. feet of lawn for it to move around if there is a need.

I'm thinking of Labrador, but maybe there are other suitable breeds as well.

Kind to share your experience or give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Oct 28, 2008, 11:20 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wenping] which dog breeds are suitable as companion [In reply to] Can't Post

For 1st time dog owner, I would personally advise you to get a small breed (easier to handle) or a mongrel (less maintenance with high imune system). Imagine, if your parents are old, and they have to handle a 30 kilo Labrador.

All dogs, be it pedigree, mixed breed or mongrel, love their owner and level of loyalty is the same. As long as, you love & care for them, they will do the same.

There are few trainings in M'sia that is for obedient, agility and protection. As for theraphy, you can try registering with FFF, Sabrina Yeap as they have the Dr. Dog therapy program.

All the best!

wenping
New User

Oct 30, 2008, 8:01 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] which dog breeds are suitable as companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your reply myzanordin.

In Reply To
...Imagine, if your parents are old, and they have to handle a 30 kilo Labrador.

I agree and am aware of that.

In Reply To
All dogs, be it pedigree, mixed breed or mongrel, love their owner and level of loyalty is the same. As long as, you love & care for them, they will do the same.

Ah, this reminds me of a stray puppy that I saved from a ditch some 15 years ago, a female German Shepherd mixed. I think she was less than 2 months old when she was rescued. Quite unexpectedly she then followed me home, poor girl must be very hungry, I had no choice but to feed her. And then she stayed on at the back of my old house (a shop) for a few years. I know she treated my family as her "owner", but we couldn't keep her inside then, so we just fed her everyday. She had no name, I just whistle and she would come.

If she's still around today she would be a good companion.

In Reply To
There are few trainings in M'sia that is for obedient, agility and protection. As for theraphy, you can try registering with FFF, Sabrina Yeap as they have the Dr. Dog therapy program.

Thanks for the info.

In Reply To
All the best!

Thank you!

lacavara
Novice

Nov 2, 2008, 1:58 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] which dog breeds are suitable as companion [In reply to] Can't Post

I am totally agreed with your advice given and wish to add that certain samll breeds are noisier than the others. Hence, it would be wise for any new dog owner to do more research before deciding on a particular breed.

I am indeed very surprised that we have dog theraphy program in Malaysia. I have some lovely
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and wish to get involve in the program. Could you explain what FFF is ?

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel at Lacavara
http://www.lacavara.com

wenping
New User

Nov 3, 2008, 12:26 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lacavara] which dog breeds are suitable as companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for adding that point lacavara, I'll take note of the noisy & over active breeds :-).

I did a little googling after myzanordin informed me about FFF and Sabrina Yeap. From the search results you will find that it is Furry Friends Farm. I've not spent time to go through the whole site yet, so I do not know whether there is any training provided by FFF. But they do have Dr. Dog animal-assisted therapy programme. Just google for "fff dog malaysia" and you will find its website.

FLK

Dec 22, 2008, 7:15 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wenping] which dog breeds are suitable as companion [In reply to] Can't Post

Hai ! Wenping ! I can give some advise to you can you email to me at angela3881@h o t m ail. c o m

mizeakira

Dec 24, 2008, 1:45 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2085 views)
Shortcut

Maybe a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel will be a good choice but it is Long Coat.
FrownmizeakiraFrown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my