IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Flaking skin

Scotch

Aug 14, 2008, 5:22 PM

Post #1 of 18 (17235 views)
Shortcut
Flaking skin Can't Post

My dog, Scotch, is having terribly flaky skin. I took him to the vet before and he gave us Selederm. I have been using it for more than 3 months and yet, his skin has not improved. It is still flaking.

Do you know any other shampoos that may help with the flaking? I would really appreaciate a recommendation.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2008, 8:45 PM

Post #2 of 18 (17223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scotch] Flaking skin [In reply to] Can't Post

i have used selederm on my dog too and my dog still has 'dandruff' like flakes... after switching to malaseb, the dandruff is gone... both seledrem and malaseb are medicated shampoos... maybe u wanna try malaseb instead? also, did the vet say what is causing the flakes?

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Scotch

Aug 15, 2008, 4:00 PM

Post #3 of 18 (17198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Flaking skin [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, he asked what food I was feeding him and I said Eukanuba and he said it can't be the food.

May I know the price for Malaseb?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 16, 2008, 12:24 AM

Post #4 of 18 (17181 views)
Shortcut

huh? tat's all the vet said??? Shocked i think u should seek a second vet's opinion, seriously... n it COULD be the food... malaseb is around rm40-42 per bottle...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

Scotch

Aug 20, 2008, 5:44 AM

Post #5 of 18 (17086 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, I'll definitely seek a second opinion. And now I'm feeding him home-cooked food. I'll go and find Malaseb. I also saw another brand, Sulfodene. Is that any good?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 20, 2008, 7:50 PM

Post #6 of 18 (17077 views)
Shortcut

maybe u can try dr edmund in bdr puteri puchong, he's quite good and a number of us sends our dogs there... his number is 03-80621038... u can get malaseb from his clinic too...

personally, i think home cooked food is better than kibbles, but that is also depending on wat is in the home cooked food... have u considered giving raw food? u need to do a lot of research on it tho...

sulfodene, heard of it, it's an ointment for red spots, etc, not a shampoo... duno if it's good anot...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

Scotch

Aug 21, 2008, 6:00 AM

Post #7 of 18 (17055 views)
Shortcut

I will try calling dr. edmund soon.

Usually, I will give him rice with boiled chicken and some raw oats. Once a week, he will get rice with egg. Sometimes I'll also throw in broccoli and carrots. And I will give him kibbles sometimes, usually mixed with wet food.

I have tried feeding him raw and he loves it but my mum won't let me do it for a long time because she says it's not good. Even after I proved her wrong. Different dogs act differently to different foods, right?

Is malaseb available at pet safari in ikano? Is it available anywhere else?

myzanordin
ALPHA

Aug 21, 2008, 6:42 PM

Post #8 of 18 (17041 views)
Shortcut

Scotch,

Could it be the raw oat? My min. pin has extra sensitive ski too. Oat, wheat, corn is a no, no to them..try removing the oat and see whether it helps. Rice make sure, only, brown rice.

Get vitamin E from the vet. It helps also with skin problem. Next, feed him Cod liver oil...it helps too....alternate, with vitamin E..

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 21, 2008, 7:29 PM

Post #9 of 18 (17038 views)
Shortcut

ya, it could be the oats... and rice... i read that grains are not good as they are usually the cause of skin problems in dogs... do read up abt this on the net...

i'm still doing my research on raw feeding... i'm convinced, but my dog swallows food, so i'm very worried abt bones!

i would think malaseb would be available from the vet clinic IN pet safari... n most vet clinics n pet shops...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

Scotch

Aug 25, 2008, 4:47 PM

Post #10 of 18 (16922 views)
Shortcut

It could be the oats. I'll stop feeding that to him for a while and see if it helps.

I've tried giving him cod liver oil capsules a few months ago, twice a day (on the vet's orders) and it really didn't work. It didn't affect the flaking but it also didn't reduce it.

I've heard saltwater is good. So on saturday, I bathed him with saltwater, left it on for a while and washed it off. His flaking looks to be reduced but I can't say for sure.

I'll monitor his progress.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 25, 2008, 9:09 PM

Post #11 of 18 (16918 views)
Shortcut

ya, stop giving oats n see if the skin condition improves... keep us updated... but if u stop the oats as well as bath him with saltwater at the same time, u wun know for sure which works at the end of the day... Crazy

cod liver oil... i agree that i dun see my dog's skin be better or worse with it...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

Sep 3, 2008, 7:45 PM

Post #12 of 18 (16707 views)
Shortcut

Hi all,

About 1 mth ago, I started adding AAA white rice & eggs to Ben's kibbles and he was ok with it. No problem yet.

(He did put on some weight, but i think due to less walks at night as I am unable to bring him out. He only gets to run in the house..)

Never tried oats though. He smelled better also. I guess giving dogs kibbles do cause a bit of stink in my dog.

Hi ai_ney, ...how are you? I have been pretty busy lately...so did not check out this site for some time.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 3, 2008, 9:06 PM

Post #13 of 18 (16702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacksontan] Flaking skin [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, i'm ok... Smile so Ben's skin is getting better now?

Sookie's Photo Gallery

jacksontan
Novice

Sep 3, 2008, 11:10 PM

Post #14 of 18 (16694 views)
Shortcut

Hi..Ben is completely healed.

Just 1 visit to Dr. Ed. Though it was pretty costly but was worth every penny.

Now I am back to hugging fatty Ben every day liao.... Nowadays he likes to nibble at my hand every time i pat him....any idea?

I do give him the toy T bone woh.

Wonder what's the reason? Lonely at home? Btw..your latest photo of sookie still not up...what's wrong with admin?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 4, 2008, 1:22 AM

Post #15 of 18 (16688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacksontan] Flaking skin [In reply to] Can't Post

wah dr ed really good ar... so wat was the problem with Ben's skin?

maybe Ben is just playing when he nibbles at ur hand... the black pug that is with me now also likes to nibble my hand... i try to stop him n give him a chew bone or toy to nibble instead...

i din post any latest photo of sookie ar... where u see la...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

Stephanie.Lee
Novice

May 10, 2009, 4:22 AM

Post #16 of 18 (15166 views)
Shortcut

Hi, May i know Doctor Edmund clinic address ? is it located at Bandar Puteri Puchong ?

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

May 11, 2009, 6:02 PM

Post #17 of 18 (15134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Stephanie.Lee] Flaking skin [In reply to] Can't Post

BANDAR PUTERI VET CLINIC
16, Jln Puteri 5/8,
Bandar Puteri Puchong,
012 - 3263180
03 - 80621038
Dr. Edmund Yeoh

Here it is...

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

angela_ong
Novice

Aug 31, 2009, 9:04 PM

Post #18 of 18 (13103 views)
Shortcut

ok one of my female dog hardly stay under the sun or outdoor developed flaky skin/ dandruff b4...so serious tat it is visible on top of her thick fur, and when she shakes...it's all over the floor. Guess wat...i tried a method told by my mum's fren...USE human's anti-dandruff shampoo, shampoo it well, soak the shampoo for around 3 minutes b4 rinse it well.I just used it twice and it's gone! use a good ones...don't use too cheap shampoo.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my