First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tehkath
Novice

Aug 6, 2008, 11:04 PM

Post #1 of 32 (2263 views)
Shortcut
Future Doggie Owner Can't Post

Hi all,

I always like dogs since young but then staying with parents does not give me the freedom of getting a dog. Now that I have my own house, I am looking for a dog. I love big dogs such as GR and German Shepard. However knowing that I am torn between my working hours and and the dogs, I had to chance for a dog that can amuse itself while I was away for work. Was thinking about Beagle and JRT but soon I learnt that they are big dog in a small dog body. I dont want furry dogs and I kind of allergy to the hair. I know I ask too much in a dog. But anyone has any idea what type of dogs I should get?

Thanks!

Woof! Woof!

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 8, 2008, 2:31 AM

Post #2 of 32 (2241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tehkath] Future Doggie Owner [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, if u've not already done so, i would suggest u read up about the breed's characteristics as different breeds will suit people with different lifestyles...

if u work n the dog will be alone most of the day, i would think it's better to get an adult dog as opposed to a puppy because puppy needs more care, play, etc... but even with an adult dog, u need to leave toys for them to play, and bring the dog for a walk when u come home from work...

there are many dogs for adoption (i always strongly recommend adoption and ask ppl not to buy)... try www.petfinder.my, spca and paws... all the best in finding a k9 companion!

if u need help, just shout, ok... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

tehkath
Novice

Aug 8, 2008, 4:47 AM

Post #3 of 32 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Future Doggie Owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ai_ney,

Thanks a lot for your advice. appreciate that. i just found that paws is not too far away from my place. i think before getting myself a dog, i can go check out the centre.

is that your pug in the photo? that's cute. does he shed? i mean does he lose his hair a lot?

tks again and take care

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 8, 2008, 9:24 PM

Post #4 of 32 (2219 views)
Shortcut

yeah it'd be good if u can pay paws a visit and maybe u'll find a dog u like in there... it's great to give the homeless dogs a chance... Cool

yeap that's my pug, adopted from spca selangor... oh yes, pugs shed a lot A LOT! Laugh

keep us updated on ur search for a doggie ya! Wink

Sookie's Photo Gallery

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 8, 2008, 9:51 PM

Post #5 of 32 (2216 views)
Shortcut

GR and GSD shed even more...

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

OmgPuppy!

Aug 10, 2008, 6:46 AM

Post #6 of 32 (2188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Future Doggie Owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm, dun wan shed . . .no much time . .easy to take care . . .GOLD FISH !!Frown

Dead Game and Tryin' to Scratch...
Give me victory or give me death,
I will make history and gain your respect.
Take my lesson, or take my life,
Triumph is blemished in the absence of strife.
I have great pride, for I am unequaled.
Win, lose, or tie, there won't be a sequal.
Its unexplainable and seldom viable,
but I am dead game and thats undeniable...

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 10, 2008, 8:19 AM

Post #7 of 32 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OmgPuppy!] Future Doggie Owner [In reply to] Can't Post

apalah.. teddy bear is easiest ok.. no need spend any time on it at all. Gold fish must feed and change water also le.

Butterfly_B52

Aug 11, 2008, 2:57 AM

Post #8 of 32 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Frown

Like that punya adxice also can Arr?
Lagi best jusit sit and relax la
Just watch Animal Planet
Dont need to do anything
Just open ears and open eyes

Frown

OmgPuppy!

Aug 11, 2008, 3:11 AM

Post #9 of 32 (2158 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
apalah.. teddy bear is easiest ok.. no need spend any time on it at all. Gold fish must feed and change water also le.

Some teddy shed also ma Frown

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 11, 2008, 3:15 PM

Post #10 of 32 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OmgPuppy!] Future Doggie Owner [In reply to] Can't Post

hello kitty la.. or take statue teddy bears..

OmgPuppy!

Aug 11, 2008, 11:34 PM

Post #11 of 32 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Deng =.= . . I surrender la . . .Unsure

tehkath
Novice

Aug 13, 2008, 8:01 PM

Post #12 of 32 (2076 views)
Shortcut

Hi acsyen,

thanks for letting me know that. i read that GSD is seasonal heavy shedder. what does that mean? do they shed twice a year still? just asking as i do really like to own a GSD. i'm still have time to think about it till my home is done in 2010. would like to know more about GSD since you seems to know them a lot. mind to let me know what you need to do in daily basis (other then giving gsd a 2hours walk daily), weekly and monthly basis. want to prepare what i need to do should i own a gsd.

thanks a lot in advance!

best regards,

kath

tehkath
Novice

Aug 13, 2008, 10:13 PM

Post #13 of 32 (2070 views)
Shortcut

hi ai_ney,

what is the process to get a dog? do i need to get the dog tag # from the mpsj or something? want to know the process (legally) to own a dog.

thanks,

kath

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 14, 2008, 12:48 AM

Post #14 of 32 (2053 views)
Shortcut

yes, after u hv gotten urself a dog, u have to apply for a dog license from ur local council... if it's mpsj, then the process is fairly easy as compared to other councils... this had been discussed in another thread, do a search for it ya... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

tehkath
Novice

Aug 14, 2008, 6:59 PM

Post #15 of 32 (2023 views)
Shortcut

Hi ai_ney,

Found those threads and also downloaded the form to take a look. Thanks!

rgds,

kath

chris_hew01
Novice

Aug 15, 2008, 12:59 AM

Post #16 of 32 (2003 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Probably u can try to take lab as ur pet companion cause its very friendly and lovely.I know that u were probably go to work and less attention during ur working hours but after ur bz time u can alwayz play with them.The only iomportant that is u need to feed them in appropriate time.Let some toy for them went u r not in that time and spend at least 15 mins to play with them when u r back.

P/s : Do u have any id msn that we can chat for us to share our dog experiences

Christine

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 15, 2008, 8:25 AM

Post #17 of 32 (1985 views)
Shortcut

GSD sheds twice a year if I am not wrong. I have not personally owned a GSD. All my personal dogs are mongrels. REscue and foster yes have handled GSD for quite a few times already. Daily basis is of cos training. They are working dogs so it's actually a bad thing to not even train it basic commands. Walks that's for sure. To me all dogs are the same. They need the exercise proper care and all. Difference is that GSD is a big dog so medical is definitely higher. It sheds a lot so u'll have to prepare to clean up your house a lot. And must send time training the dog properly. If not when it gets uncontrollable it's not going to be nice. What I would suggest temporary if you want you can help out by fostering some doggies. Lastly do google out the breed info and read up and the best person to help you is RealityDreamer. She is very experienced with GSD.

tehkath
Novice

Aug 15, 2008, 6:14 PM

Post #18 of 32 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Hi acsyen,

Thank you so much for your advice. I have done quite a lot of reading from the internet. Just thought that with asking the GSD owner, probably I can get some real life advice.

Thanks,

Kath

tehkath
Novice

Aug 15, 2008, 6:23 PM

Post #19 of 32 (1967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris_hew01] Future Doggie Owner [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi,

Probably u can try to take lab as ur pet companion cause its very friendly and lovely.I know that u were probably go to work and less attention during ur working hours but after ur bz time u can alwayz play with them.The only iomportant that is u need to feed them in appropriate time.Let some toy for them went u r not in that time and spend at least 15 mins to play with them when u r back.

P/s : Do u have any id that we can chat for us to share our dog experiences

Christine

Hi Christine,

I have yet to own a dog though most of my experience with dogs are playing with them at my friends's place or relatives home. I'm thinking more of a guard dog therefore the GSD. But as per acsyen advice, these dogs need proper training. I do have a friend whose father is a retired cop and he is a good rottweiler and doberman trainer. Think I'll drop by her house one of these days.

I'm normally goes online on yahoo messenger. How's your lab doing?

best rgds,

Kath

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 15, 2008, 7:11 PM

Post #20 of 32 (1964 views)
Shortcut

That's great. Not many owners do research before getting a particular breed. Anyway if you want to have a feel of an adult one you can always contact me to see and take my GSD for a walk. You can contact me at acs_yen @h.o.t.m.a.i.l.c.o.m

tehkath
Novice

Aug 15, 2008, 7:22 PM

Post #21 of 32 (1960 views)
Shortcut

hi there,

saw that you stay in puchong. i am in subang. maybe on weekends we can hook up and i can have a feel of gsd. use to ride one when i was much much younger (baby start to crawl that time). my neighbour's gsd used to let me ride him whenever i start to cry. since then i love gsd. but couldnt get one when i was staying with my parents. now that i will be having a house to myself, want to get a gsd.

i just added you into the msn. my login id is tehka.

thanks!

kath

chris_hew01
Novice

Aug 15, 2008, 10:19 PM

Post #22 of 32 (1945 views)
Shortcut

well, my lab now is almost bout 2 mths now, it grows up a lot and playful.Sometimes she was very lazy as she just lay down n relax...i'll update for u the photo for my dog.

Lab dog were easy to train as if u compares with rottweiler or doberman.But of course if you intend to keep as a guard dog this would be the ok choice la.When i bought this lab fr my friend as a breeder, he actually explain to me a lot regards kind of dog that is suitable for me.Actually i told him that i like the german sherpard but he say its not suitable for me as i have kids in house.He stricly recomend me to have Lab instead of GR...He oso told me that he diff between rottweiler n GS.I was very surprise and afraid when i visit his house as he has owned 3 GS, 2 Rotweiler, 2 LAb, birds bout 13 kind species, Fish.That is exclude other kind of dogs that he kept for sell.Gosh...he can tahan tat..PiratePiratePirate

chris_hew01
Novice

Aug 15, 2008, 10:19 PM

Post #23 of 32 (1945 views)
Shortcut

well, my lab now is almost bout 2 mths now, it grows up a lot and playful.Sometimes she was very lazy as she just lay down n relax...i'll update for u the photo for my dog.

Lab dog were easy to train as if u compares with rottweiler or doberman.But of course if you intend to keep as a guard dog this would be the ok choice la.When i bought this lab fr my friend as a breeder, he actually explain to me a lot regards kind of dog that is suitable for me.Actually i told him that i like the german sherpard but he say its not suitable for me as i have kids in house.He stricly recomend me to have Lab instead of GR...He oso told me that he diff between rottweiler n GS.I was very surprise and afraid when i visit his house as he has owned 3 GS, 2 Rotweiler, 2 LAb, birds bout 13 kind species, Fish.That is exclude other kind of dogs that he kept for sell.Gosh...he can tahan tat..PiratePiratePirate

tehkath
Novice

Aug 15, 2008, 11:15 PM

Post #24 of 32 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chris_hew01] Future Doggie Owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Christine,

I see. But i tot that GS is also good with kids as well. Just that lab and GR is more tolerant to kids. GR and lab are more melody and goofy type of dogs. While rottweiler, doberman and gs are more of guard dog type. does your friend breed for GS as well?

my friend's has 2 rott and 3 dober at her home in kkb. i went to her house once and it takes 3 of them (my friend, her sis and her bro) to pin down her rott in order for us to go into her house. but when her father was around, he just need to pinch the rott's ears. really is looks who is the boss.

Vic Tea
Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2008, 3:43 AM

Post #25 of 32 (1923 views)
Shortcut

picasaweb.google.com/ckthee/ROLEXTheWatchDog

(This post was edited by Vic Tea on Aug 16, 2008, 4:15 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my