IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Help: My Overweight dog

shapeshifter

Jul 18, 2008, 11:36 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2593 views)
Shortcut
Help: My Overweight dog Can't Post

Anyone got any tips on weight loss for dogs? ( Diets, supplements)

One of my dogs is well, overweight.

The vet said it's due to the fact she's been spayed- the hormones have made metabolism slower(just how it happens in humans during menopause).

She's a medium sized dog, and weight 17 kg, and god, I can't feel her ribs properly!

She doesn't eat much, though, and is very active (I couldn't catch her once when she ran out when my mum opened the gates to drive in).

I feel so sad when I look at her even though it's not at a very bad stage yet (I prefer to control it bef it gets really bad!), and my older dog (who also had her uterus out due to infection) is a very healthy weight & eats more.

Plus now I'm gonna spay my GR pup and am worried the same thing will happen to her, even though she goes for walks & eats once a day.
Advise please? Thanks.
~ A dog is the only one who will love you more than you love yourself~

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008, 4:14 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shapeshifter] Help: My Overweight dog [In reply to] Can't Post

u can try exercising ur dog more and control the feeding.

mickey123
Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2008, 4:59 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2530 views)
Shortcut

hi,

try to give her less food and exercise more..

I just adopted a 3 years old plus female lab.. She's fat like a pig when I first saw her, she can't even jump up when she wanted to welcome us. But she's now getting slimmer and slimmer(after staying with us for about 3 weeks plus), and now she can jump on people (although it's not preferable by most of the people.. Laugh). What we did is that we bring her to climb hill daily, and give her less food. It works well for her, I don't know whether it will work for you or not? Yeah, I give her Addiction Zen Vegetarian right now, about 180g per meal (one meal daily). I know it's very little food for her, but until now she's still ok and healthy.. I'll give her more kibbles after she goes back to her normal weight. she's still overweight now, but we stop bringing her to climb hill this 2 weeks cause my other female lab is in heat now.. Unsure so, didn't bring both of them to climb hill until everything is over.

(This post was edited by mickey123 on Jul 22, 2008, 5:01 AM)

shapeshifter

Jul 22, 2008, 6:38 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickey123] Help: My Overweight dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hey, hill climbing sound slike a good idea, now im hoping to make more time for her to go.

she's a very active dog, but i think she's looking a bit like a sausage now, ha ha.

i'v been giving her less ood, but sometimes i feel so terrible coz she's starving even after eating, and tries to steal other dogs' food!

lucky the old dog doesnt care, but had a mini fight with the puppy the other day, not pretty at all!

i'm now going to try the Purina Healthy weight... ehard that it works? hmmm....
~ A dog is the only one who will love you more than you love yourself~

mickey123
Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008, 2:55 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2489 views)
Shortcut

hahha.. hope that it works for you.. :) tell us if you succeed.. good luck..

labradorfan

Jul 26, 2008, 8:54 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2444 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
hi,

try to give her less food and exercise more..

I just adopted a 3 years old plus female lab.. She's fat like a pig when I first saw her, she can't even jump up when she wanted to welcome us. But she's now getting slimmer and slimmer(after staying with us for about 3 weeks plus), and now she can jump on people (although it's not preferable by most of the people.. Laugh). What we did is that we bring her to climb hill daily, and give her less food. It works well for her, I don't know whether it will work for you or not? Yeah, I give her Addiction Zen Vegetarian right now, about 180g per meal (one meal daily). I know it's very little food for her, but until now she's still ok and healthy.. I'll give her more kibbles after she goes back to her normal weight. she's still overweight now, but we stop bringing her to climb hill this 2 weeks cause my other female lab is in heat now.. Unsure so, didn't bring both of them to climb hill until everything is over.

hey mickey,long time din hear from u...1st of all,congrats to u on adopting a new lab...from spca?ben also put on weight,i mean a lot...making him run and making him not to sleep after meal....

mickey123
Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008, 6:41 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [labradorfan] Help: My Overweight dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hi.. yeah.. I've quite busy lately..

I just check out your friendster.. Benny grows a lot.. Laugh although he put one weight, he's growing.. not getting fat.. so, should be ok. Stay cool girl.. Cool

no.. my newly adopted 3 years plus lab was my uncle's dog. He's from Kelatan.We went to fetch this dog from him end of June. So, this dog is with us for about 2 months by now. she's pretty pitty. When we first saw her, she's very FAT and coward (her tail was always between her back legs) because my uncle has 3 dogs (include her) and one of the dog there always bit her until she get wounds here and there. So, whenever she saw any dog go near her, she'll squat and let that dog bite her.. Pirate so, she was being "bullied" by other dogs for more than 3 years until my uncle found out that we have Billion. He told us her condition and situation, so we said we could adopt her. So, we went to fetch her and she's with us now. At first, her fur was like shit.. that's what I can tell you (cause too many wounds and her fur was not shining like Billion). But, I can tell you that after 2 months staying with us, she's happy here and fed well (Laugh)... I'm proud to tell you that she's totally different now.. my dad told me just now that when he brought both of them to climb hills, the people there also said that she slims down a lot and her fur is getting better and better...

labradorfan

Aug 7, 2008, 12:21 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2311 views)
Shortcut

oic...glad she's doing really well...it's a good thing u took her in or else she wouldn't have her confidence and her health back.
if you're free,do post some pics of her as well..before i forget,may i know what is her name?i think u did tell me bt ur uncle's lab b4,just forgotten...paiseh ya

as for ben,he's grown a lot.but now can say he bit fat,wanna slim him down abit.he's always hungry.always beg for food...see us eat at the dining table,he must have it.gosh,ben is really greedy lei...trying to train him not to get food from the table now.my friendster pic not really update yet.so i'll post it after i resize the pics using my new camera.ill be going to cyber for my convo this fri till mon.perhaps that time only i do la hor...hehehe...hw bt billion?
i hope soon i can have a lab maybe after i kahwin la...now roxy is recoveering from her mange problem.yup,still coming back and is going for her 4th vaccination next week.i change vet dy.last time vet,didn't really work for her.the other vet is my old long time vet.x go to him coz sometimes not in lor.but now ade got appointment with him so it's alright dy lor......

Amanda85
Doggyman

Aug 21, 2008, 2:08 AM

Post #9 of 9 (2216 views)
Shortcut

how much do you feed? if u follow the feeding guide behind the dog food packet, then is too much.

supplements won't help losing weight, save money from buying.

only 2 keys to losing weight, exercise and diet.

so cut down more food and increase exercise. and make sure your dog don't steal food from other dogs.

i owned a spayed female too, and she weight 14kg. is possible to maintain a spayed dog to be slim.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on Aug 21, 2008, 2:10 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my