Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Shih Tzu Skin & Eye Problem

angeline84ng
Novice

Jul 18, 2008, 1:10 PM

Post #1 of 13 (18719 views)
Shortcut
Shih Tzu Skin & Eye Problem Can't Post

Please help me. My 5 years old Shih Tzu has soem skin problem. I am very worried as it is developing from a few spots to many many spots. I sent him to vet in Puchong and was told to let change his food and eat medicine which is what i did. Little i know that it only held down the situation for a short while and then it came back.

My baby Calby is eating lamb and rice biscuit (Nutri Edge)as told by the petshop. They say its good for his skin condition.

The spots are increasing and i am worried. Can anyone recommend a good vet that their dog recovered for as i do not trust vets that much. I had bad experience when one of my dog died when i sent her to the vet. Please help as he is everything to me.

His spots are like human pimple. Small small pimples.

Any other advice on food or shampoo will be helpful as well.

boco

Jul 18, 2008, 6:06 PM

Post #2 of 13 (18713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [angeline84ng] Shih Tzu Skin & Eye Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Try changing her food to vegetarian. Don't feed meat, corn, wheat, gluten to sensitive skin.

You didn't mention about the eye problem, what's wrong with it?

angeline84ng
Novice

Jul 19, 2008, 4:20 AM

Post #3 of 13 (18695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boco] Shih Tzu Skin & Eye Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

His eyes has a white spot. In the middle. Actually the diet given by the doctor last time was vege food. Then, petshop say lamb good for skin. Both his eyes has a white (more like greyish) spot in it. I brought him to vet before and dr say its just a mark from old abrasion. So, i was not that worried. All of a sudden, i saw post about eyes ulcer.. I almost cried, looking at the pictures and reading about it.

Vegetarian food? Will it really work, anyone tried with their dogs?

I pamper Calby extremely much, making him eat what he doesnt want will bring me more pain than him.

FLK

Sep 6, 2008, 7:38 AM

Post #4 of 13 (18469 views)
Shortcut

Hai ! angeline84ng ! You may try Nutri Balance, the sweet potatoes flavour. Because my dog Viz also has the same problem last time that I have changed so many types of dog food for him but it doesn't work, and even I have tried the sensitive skin dog food. Finally I found this food, it really work. Recently one of my friend's dog has yeast problem, so I recommended this food to her. Her dog's skin problem is getting better after eating this food also. You may try it .

angeline84ng
Novice

Sep 6, 2008, 8:20 AM

Post #5 of 13 (18463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FLK] Shih Tzu Skin & Eye Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear FLK,

May i know the breed of your dog? And i checked a few shops, but don't think i see this brand. Where do you normally buy it?

FLK

Sep 6, 2008, 8:58 AM

Post #6 of 13 (18460 views)
Shortcut

Not all the shop sell this. Their supplier is one of the pet shop in Kota Damansara but I can't remember the name but usually I bought it from a pet shop in Kepong name Dept Pet, it is just behind the Carefour in Kepong. It is quite expensive but it is really worth it. Previously I have tried the best food, Salmon dog biscuit, but it doesn't work also. Because my dog is really sensitive to food, so we must very be careful. You must try this biscuit for about 3 weeks but one thing you must remember to make sure is that you can't feed any other foods to your dog other than this Nutri Balance, Sweet potatoes biscuit. You can see the different after 3 weeks time. Sweet potatoes actually is a very healthy food not only good for human but also good for the dog. I met one of the dog grooming teacher last year, she told me to treat the dog's skin problem by feeding the dog with the sweet potatoes, so there was one time I fed my dog with steam potatoes everyday, that time I saw it pass motion very easily. After few months later, I went to pet shop to buy dog food and they recommended to me about this biscuit and I tried it. It really good. I can see its fur shinning and looks different. You may buy a small packet to try it first.

FLK

Sep 6, 2008, 9:07 AM

Post #7 of 13 (18459 views)
Shortcut

As you mentioned that your dog has small pimples on its body, it may be not due to food sensitive problem. Did the vet took some of the fur from the dog and look it under the microscop ? Just for your info there are some kind of skin diseases like demotex or yeast also has the same type of symptons. Demotex is from the generation and yeast is due to the environment. Both are related to the dog immune sistem.

(This post was edited by FLK on Sep 6, 2008, 9:11 AM)

angeline84ng
Novice

Sep 6, 2008, 9:16 AM

Post #8 of 13 (18456 views)
Shortcut

The vet tested before under microscope n say its sensitive skin...then recommended some food..then my baby ate for few weeks n stop eating it coz it didnt reali make any changes...

FLK

Sep 6, 2008, 7:46 PM

Post #9 of 13 (18442 views)
Shortcut

Just for your info, any food you tried also have to try at lease 3 weeks and ensure you don't feed any other food during that 3 weeks. There are certain dog food like Purina 1 and Science Plan also have special dog food for the sensitive skin. Usually these type of food (e.g Science Plan for sensitive skin) we can only get it from certain vet, and it is more expensive than the usual dog food. As you mentioned you have tried lamb and rice, actually lamb and rice is good for the skin but it doesn't means that it suits your puppy. Because you do not what type of food that make your puppy skin sensitive, it is the possibility that sometimes the ingredient in the dog food also it will make your puppy skin sensitive (e.g. preservative), as we do not know. It's depend also. I did that too last time for my lovely Viz, I sent him to a few vets also. He makes me worried for few months. I have tried so many types of dog food and it doesn't work at all. He will be fine with only two types of food, one is the Nutri Balance and the other one is Sava. Sava is imported from Singapore, the biscuit is made without any preservative. Dog is just like human, "Sensitive" the scope is very big, different dog has different type of sensitive food. My Viz is really sensitive, sometimes I fed him with some human food or chicken meat also, I can see his skin start changing so we are very be careful now. I can't say that your lovely puppy 100% suit the Nutri Balance Sweet Potatoes flavour, because as I do not know what is the actual type of food that make your puppy skin sensitive. Nutri Balance also has the vege flavour. Actually I have a few dogs, after changing their food. The vet also praised that their fur become nicer and asked me what type of food I am feeding them.

(This post was edited by FLK on Sep 6, 2008, 8:00 PM)

FLK

Sep 7, 2008, 8:13 AM

Post #10 of 13 (18423 views)
Shortcut

Hai ! angeline84ng ! I have another suggestion here also. At the same time you try to boose up your puppy immune system. The puppy's immune system is very important to fight against the desease. It will has lesser problem if its immune system is strong enough.

ユニース
Novice

Feb 7, 2009, 7:02 PM

Post #11 of 13 (17871 views)
Shortcut

Hi Angeline, my baby Shih Tzu Twinkie (7 month now) had the same problem too.. I went to the vet and he stressed that I must not feed my baby junks (e.g Jer-high, Bow Wow treats) as she's still below 1 year. This is an important period for the puppy to develop a good immune system. Hence, I stopped all that and put her under Royal Canin Shih Tzu diet (only) with chunks of apples (not whole apple - too sweet) . Her skin was cleared from those pimple-like pustules in just 2 weeks. She's now still under vet prescribed medication (Clavamox, DMG and fish oil for canine) to clear off the internal problem for another 14 days. I hope this information will help you.
Ooh yeah, the point is.. stop giving her treats for a while and see how it goes.. Just dry pet food for the time being until those spots go off...

By the way, I'm now trying Acana for Puppies and Juniors dog food for her and she loves it. It contains natural ingredients and good for skin Wink .. They have the same for adult dogs..
Hope this will help your little one.. Ganbatte yo!

(This post was edited by ユニース on Feb 7, 2009, 7:06 PM)

ah_fang
Dog Kichi

Jul 31, 2009, 2:02 AM

Post #12 of 13 (15655 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Where r u staying? Recently i changed my dog food to the sweet potato as wat another member mentioned here.. n yes it quite good now my dog scratch less.. n her poo poo oso lesser.. i brought the dog food at PJ.. u may give a try..

shchiam1978
Novice

Aug 23, 2009, 8:52 PM

Post #13 of 13 (15372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ユニース] Shih Tzu Skin & Eye Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I have change my dog food to Acana as well. My dog eat like a pig. super fast and he love it. In term of red pimples, gone oledi just that sometimes he scratch maybe doe to heat or dust
Hugo is lovely and naughty

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my