Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
TOILET TRAINING!!! I NEED HELP

dannywhittick
Novice

Jun 12, 2003, 11:59 AM

Post #1 of 13 (3258 views)
Shortcut
TOILET TRAINING!!! I NEED HELP Can't Post

CoolHI EVERYONE, I JUST WANTED TO NOW IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME SOME TIPS ON TOILET TRAINING MY 8 WEEK OLD PUPPY, SHE'S DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!! WHEN EVER SHE DOES SOMETHING SHE KNOWS THAT SHE HAS DONE SOMETHING WRONG BECAUSE WHEN I SHOUT AT HER SHE SHY'S AWAY OR RUNS AS FAST AS SHE CAN OUT SIDE. ......ANY SUGGESTIONS Tongue
thanx
Danny xxxx

joycet78

Jun 13, 2003, 1:59 AM

Post #2 of 13 (3247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dannywhittick] TOILET TRAINING!!! I NEED HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi danny,

i hope when you shouts at her, she IS doing something wrong! otherwise, she won't know why you are shouting...well, you can try speading plenty of newspaper and brings her over after her meal/ when she wakes up. praise and reward her when she does her poopoo and pees on the newspaper. You know if you observe puppies, they tend to do a kind of stand before they pees- be observant- whenever she does... takes her quicky to the paper site! she'll learn fast enough - of course gives allowance for accidents or forgetfulness... but with praise and reward she'll remember!Winkgoodluck!Tongue
JT78

anna_kys

Jun 13, 2003, 10:02 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3235 views)
Shortcut

Toilet training needs time and patient and also depending on the breed of dog. Some breed is more difficult to house break then the others.

I trained my puppy to go to toilet in my bathroom so I put her cage, her bowl in the bathroom and covered the rest of the bathroom with newspaper so that no matter which corner she chooses, it would be on the newspaper. I took one week leave when I brought my puppy home just for the basic training. I watched her like a hawk for the whole day and will call her to the bathroom whenever I saw her sniffing around and lowering her hind legs to do business. Whenever she did her business on the newspapers, I would praise her like crazy and gave her treat. If I couldn't watch her even for one minute (e.g going to bathroom myself, taking trash out etc), I would gate her inside the bathroom. She did have a few mistakes when I slipped up. I did not scold her as it would be too late so I just cleaned the place up with the doggie cleaner (with enzyme to disolve the smell). After one week, she was perfect with no more accident then I started to reduce the paper to half newspaper size and put it on a tray. She manages to keep all her business on the newspaper within the tray even when I leave her to roam free in the kitchen for the whole day without supervision. I still praise her & give her treat whenever I see her doing business in the right place.

I think the one week time investment is very crucial as it is easier to train good habits then to break bad ones. If your doggie already has a habit to go to the wrong places, you may want to consider taking more time to train him ... it will all be worth it eventually.

Good luck.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 13, 2003, 10:51 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3232 views)
Shortcut

Patient my friend, patient… puppies have great memory but might not be able to comprehend our actions and command as humans.. that’s why it’s crucial to guide them on doing the right things. Lay out newspaper on their favorite poo & pee spot. Every time you notice your dog is about to do the business, always carry him or her on to the newspaper and after they are done, praise them or give them a small treat to show that they’ve done something good. I bet after a few attempts they will do it right.. I will not advise you on shouting your dog too often as it might petrify the poor thing Tongue

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 16, 2003, 12:01 AM

Post #5 of 13 (3222 views)
Shortcut

Hi dannywhittick,

You should do a search on the webpages to find out the input from our members on how to toilet train our puppies. This subject was posted in this website before and lots of ideas was given which I think would be really useful for your reference....

cheers,
minglmy

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 19, 2003, 1:12 AM

Post #6 of 13 (3206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anna_kys] TOILET TRAINING!!! I NEED HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh wow thanks for the little info...

i will try that on my new adopt pup soon.... cause i haven't try that before on my minpin... the miracle thing is that he knows where to pee amd poo... no need training and no class for him...

dunno where he get the extra class from? in his mom's womb ? wah then he must be genious .... LaughCrazyLaugh
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

bubble
Novice

Sep 18, 2003, 9:53 PM

Post #7 of 13 (3041 views)
Shortcut

wah, so lucky!!!!

but my puppy chew up all de newspaper i spread out. its a mess all de time.

Frown Bubble

doodle
ALPHA

Sep 27, 2003, 9:01 AM

Post #8 of 13 (3008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bubble] TOILET TRAINING!!! I NEED HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Wah, you are so lucky too!

My puppy chewed up the floor mat I spread for him. Those I put inside his cage so that his paws won't hurt in between those grill. Plastic to pieces!!!

*geram... Pirate

paulynn
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 7:01 AM

Post #9 of 13 (2994 views)
Shortcut

Hi danny, hopefully i'm helping you with what i've gone through with my puppy.But before i start i'd like to let u know that even if u shout at her or just scold her she might not know what she has done wrong being that she's only 8 weeks old.I think the best way is u try to coax her and bring her to the place where she urinated or eliminated and point ur index finger to the spot and look into her eyes and say "No"not too fierce but in a firm tone.

Anyway,talk about toilettraining . When i first gt my second dog Josie she didn't have any t.t experience.she's 3 months old but still a pup so what i did was (After walking all my neighbors dog only i know :P)somewhere around 5-10mins after her meal or after she drinks her water..immediately bring her to a spot where u want her to eliminate.make her stay there and put on some newspapers if u want to.Then when she starts sniffing or walking around and around..u'll know that she's about to eliminate.After she successfuly eliminates on the newspaper praise her like you've never praise her before ( :P )and say GOOD GIRL! GOOOOOOOOOOOD GIRL!! This is how i trained josie and she's such a brilliant doggie!
GOOD LUCK

Kowpa

Sep 29, 2003, 9:09 AM

Post #10 of 13 (2992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] TOILET TRAINING!!! I NEED HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Scolding or shouting your dog for doing in the wrong target is unfair for that poor kid does not know what the noises is about. If u keep on scolding or shouting for wrong doing b4 she understand wat u want is totally unfair she might not do their business when u around her beleve me

paulynn
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 5:49 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] TOILET TRAINING!!! I NEED HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Are u refering to me or to Danny?Like i said earlier at my previous post...don't scold or shout.

i think u read wrongly Smile

Kowpa

Sep 29, 2003, 9:22 PM

Post #12 of 13 (2984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulynn] TOILET TRAINING!!! I NEED HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Just 4 knowledge sake I point to noone but me

paulynn
ALPHA

Sep 29, 2003, 10:40 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] TOILET TRAINING!!! I NEED HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

Dont worry ... i know what u mean.I thought that u clicked on the wrong screen name.Angelic

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my